Side decals on a 981? Cayman R Style? Yes/No?

DJMC

o.O

Spotted these "Cayman R" type decals for the 981...

412046578.jpg

From: http://www.designstuffonline.co.uk/vehicle_graphics/model_make_specific/porsche/porsche_981_cayman_decals.html

What do you think? And would you just have "Porsche" or something else, standard or bespoke?

I'm in two minds. With my spoiler up and semi hiding my P O R S C H E badge (Cayman factory de-badged), my car is rather anonymous (apart from the bonnet/wheel badges) which I quite like, as bystanders have to work it out. A side decal "PORSCHE" would make it too easy perhaps!

"ANY TEXT" down the side would be a laugh!!...

412046608.jpg

I guess black would go best on silver?...

Edited by DJMC

11 minutes ago, Andy Fagan said:

I like them :D, I saw a white one with black and it looked stunning

They always look good on a white 987 R, but I haven't seen a 981 in the flesh. Which model did you see?

This would be how mine would look...

Edited by DJMC

• Founder
38 minutes ago, DJMC said:

£110.00 for "PORSCHE" side and top stripe doesn't sound too bad?

Tempted.

If you had the correct dimensions I can get these made up for you quite a bit cheaper than that, in top quality vinyl. Just beware the eBay ones you're looking at have some subtle differences in the style also, depends how picky you are.

I got Derek's (Duffy) done on Boxa for his his blue 987 but that was easy as the decals were a straight copy of mine. 

I took know a company that I would recommend. Speak to Rick at Highgate House (http://www.highgatehouse.co.uk) he does an awful lot of motorsport and Porsche stuff. He has recently done a number of my friends 991RS'. Tell him Oirish Kev put you in touch. (Please note I no affiliation with him only that I have seen and recommend his work). 

52 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

David, I assume you had a good look at Tim's car on Sunday, I think the stripes looked good on his 981.  

Yes, I agree. Tim said he didn't fit the small front spoiler stripe as he thought it wasn't needed. Same as the GT4 above, but that has the roof stripe too.

I just don't know if I prefer to be rather anonymous? A Boxster is fairly recognisable by the man in the street, but there are far more about than Caymans, and I quite like the thought of being in a "mystery" car? 

I guess if the price was low enough I'd give them a "try" so as to be able to chuck them if I decided I didn't like them. Any idea what the side ones (including the spoiler bit) would cost? What dimensions do you need? PM me if you'd rather. Thanks.

The Cayman R style decals on the car in my post above cost around £35 on ebay.   They were easy to apply and seem to be holding up fine after a year or so.  So far no complaints at all.

I saw what appeared to be a new yellow GT4 in our local OPC showroom over the weekend with similar decals.  They didn't look quite right as they didn't follow the contour properly where the lower edge of the door curves upward at the rear of the door.  I was surprised and wondered whether they might be 987 rather than 981 decals though the pictures above show they are obviously available specifically for the 981 and look much better IMHO.

• Founder

The other thing you'll notice in the S and the GT4 in your post David is the way the stripes terminate on the leading edge (rear of the front wheelarch) - there would usually be a gap before the stripe starts, factory cars are normally all like that.  When some people or dealers fit them after they dont always do it this way.  

David, the supplier link in your original post is the one who supplied the decals on our Arctic Silver car in my post above but their website image appears to me to show the problem I referred to on the OPC GT4, i.e. the decal doesn't properly follow the door curve.  If you closely compare the decals on our 987 or a Cayman R with those on the 981S or GT4 in your/Beanoir's posts above, you'll see that the 987 version has a tighter/sharper curve than the 981 version.

If you are contemplating getting these, I suggest you check this with the supplier as the 987 sharper curving variety didn't look right on the GT4 I saw this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Took advantage of reasonable weather and 'striped' my BE today.  This will probably split opinions as maybe detracts from BE colour scheme but I quite like them!  These were eBay specials but great quality and very easy to fit.

What do you reckon?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks really good! 

I notice you've gone right up to the edges of the wheel arches though, was that intentional?  Not that it matters but normally the stripe ends about half inch before the edge.