Option Must Haves?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2013/2014 Cayman S but was wondering what are the 'Must Have' options from owners?

I'm coming from a fully loaded F83 M4 which was very kindly removed from my driveway by 4 of the countries nicest "scrotes" so its time for a replacement.

I'm based in the Manchester region so may see some of you about in the future.

Damian

• Founder

Hi Damian, sorry to hear about the M4, did they take the keys or use one of those relay device things? 

Can your budget stretch to a GTS? If so, not many other options required.  But otherwise, PSE (switchable sports exhaust), PSM (sat nav etc) and personally I’d go with carbon sports bucket seats but they’re quite rare.  

PDK - PASM - PSM - PSE - Sports Steering Wheel (incl. paddles) - Sports Plus Seats - Heated Seats - Auto Dimming Mirrors - Cruise Control - Split Heating Controls - 20" Wheels 

It all depends on what makes you happy, with these things the options are pretty much endless.

I would suggest all of the above plus Nav, Jukebox and the USB in the glovebox for iPod or USB stick music playability.

My 718 has Chrono which never used to be anything I ever bothered with, now I wouldn't be without it.

I am in Manchester too. DM me for further advice or help when looking at a car.

I like lots of options which is why I gave up looking for a Cayman R and settled for a reasonable spec 981 S which I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Mine has:

PDK 

PCM with mobile phone preparation & universal media interface (with the Jukebox thing)

Sport Chrono with dynamic transmission mounts

PASM

PTV

PSE

Sport Design steering wheel with paddles

20" Carrera Classic wheels

Sport Plus seats

Heated seats

Full leather

Crested headrests

PSE

Auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor wipers

Electric folding mirrors

Bi-xenon PDLS lights

ParkAssist front and rear

Cruise control

Dual zone climate control

Light design package

Bose

There are a couple on the list that I'm not that fussed about (crested headrests, folding mirrors, light design package and maybe Sport Chrono too) but the rest are highly desirable/essential in my view.  I'm also sure that many people would not want many of these, so it really is each to their own.

6 hours ago, Mk1 said:

PDK - PASM - PSM - PSE - Sports Steering Wheel (incl. paddles) - Sports Plus Seats - Heated Seats - Auto Dimming Mirrors - Cruise Control - Split Heating Controls - 20" Wheels 

Yes PDK a must if a DD. I got PASM by chance but it would be in my top three options, especially with 20's. PSM is standard on all cars - I think you mean PCM? I didn't like Sports Plus seats as the "epaulets" dig into my shoulders. Heated seats a must. A real boon NOT having auto dimming RVM after years of having my side mirrors dim too and not spotting cars either side in the dark. On mine only the RVM dims via... my finger! Oh, and NOT having auto wipers is MAGIC. I set the intermittence myself rather than the car getting it wrong. I notice how good NOT having auto wipers is after driving my wifes 2016 BMW with its "mad wipers" - light rain, they go super fast. Heavy rain, they barely move. BMW confirm this is correct. Cruise, yes, retro fitted, for my DD. Dual climate preferred, not a must. Oh... and the BEST colour is without doubt Rhodium Silver. ;)

Edited by DJMC

8 hours ago, DJMC said:

Yes PDK a must if a DD. I got PASM by chance but it would be in my top three options, especially with 20's. PSM is standard on all cars - I think you mean PCM? I didn't like Sports Plus seats as the "epaulets" dig into my shoulders. Heated seats a must. A real boon NOT having auto dimming RVM after years of having my side mirrors dim too and not spotting cars either side in the dark. On mine only the RVM dims via... my finger! Oh, and NOT having auto wipers is MAGIC. I set the intermittence myself rather than the car getting it wrong. I notice how good NOT having auto wipers is after driving my wifes 2016 BMW with its "mad wipers" - light rain, they go super fast. Heavy rain, they barely move. BMW confirm this is correct. Cruise, yes, retro fitted, for my DD. Dual climate preferred, not a must. Oh... and the BEST colour is without doubt Rhodium Silver. ;)

Not a daily driver but PDK preferred nonetheless; daily driver is a Manual.

PSM vs. PCM ... yes, my mistake.

Epaulets issue ... a hand / wheel position consequence ?

2 hours ago, Mk1 said:

Not a daily driver but PDK preferred nonetheless; daily driver is a Manual.

PSM vs. PCM ... yes, my mistake.

Epaulets issue ... a hand / wheel position consequence ?

I don't think any of the seats are as good as the BMW Sport seats I've had over the years, including those in my wife's X1. I ended up with 14 way electric, which are standard seats with thigh extension, in/out & up/down lumber support, seat tilt front and back, and they're OK once you get all the adjustments sorted. For me, with long legs, the ability to take the thigh support out and up to the back of my thighs is the best feature. The most unexpectedly nice thing is the electric steering column which lifts up as you're about to exit so as to make it easier to get out and in again.

• Thanks 1

Seats are a very personal thing. When looking for a 981CS I tried both standard sports and sports plus seats, and I would not have bought any car with the standard ones. They just don't provide sufficient support. Ours are great, even on a 2500 mile euro trip. Ours are the two, not 18 way versions. Still one of the best I've ever had was the sports version in my 964.

• 2 weeks later...

I pick my one up Friday.

My must haves were:

Sport Chrono

PCM

PASM

PSE

Sport design wheel

Sport + seats

I then had nice to haves like Bose, PDLS, crest on seats, stuff like that

Finally was as many things that should be standard but are not like climate, cruise, heated seats, phone prep, dab, folding mirrors etc

Edited by Deanoc123

• 3 months later...

PDK is not a "must", it's purely personal preference, and I prefer manual. PSE really isn't necessary either.

Xenons are a must, the standard halogens are pretty dim IMO, having had them on my previous 981. PDLS+ is great as well. Everything else is fripperies.

The only option I had to have was brighter headlights.  So I replaced the halogens with leds.  I like the options I have - sport design steering wheel, heated seats, full leather.  No need for more.  LSD? I have not been able to get the rear to slide - the car understeers on track.  Sat Nav? never needed it.  Cruise control, upgraded sound system?  They are fitted, but cruise control is of little use and the car is too noisy to bother about a fancy sound system.   

• Founder

If you drive on the continent ever then I wouldn't be without cruise control.  If you're buying a brand new car or a couple of years old then sat nav is worth having, but if it's an older car then probably not really worth it as they have dated quite badly, also depends what you use the car for.  

Sound package plus is also essential, have you ever heard the stereo in a Porsche with just front speakers???  DREADFUL!