Exhaust options for an R

MJ

Having just spoken to Gert at Carnewal, he recommends just getting the GT exhaust fitted for an improvement in sound and breathing. I had enquired what is the best option for an R without PSE. I thought I would need the sport cats too to make a noticeable difference, but that would mean he needs the car for a couple of days in the workshop which is not quite do-able for me. Im happy to drive over to Belgium and get an exhaust fitted while I wait though.

What are you guys thoughts on exhausts? Is the GT exhaust alone worth doing? Many forums seem to mention you need to get race headers to really make a difference. 

Have looked at Fabspeed, Remus etc but they seem ridiculously over-priced for what they are.

Hi MJ,   I went the "Gert Route" back in December, and have been more than happy. The chap seems to know his stuff , his customer service is excellent, and he has a very sound reputation across several forums. The sound improvement is a given (I was at Castle Combe on Monday, 1st track day since having the work done, and it sounded simply epic when giving the beans .....no drone or any unpleasantness when driving normally.  Immediately after fitment I thought I detected a little more oomph at mid range RPM (it was late December so not inclined to push things along too much), Gert suggested (on a Gen 1 S) it would only actually elicit another 5-7 hp max. For the price (including the trade in of your old exhaust), it's pretty hard to beat as a cat back solution, but if you have ££ to spare, you can do more. If you know of Northway Porsche, they've fitted several (did mine as well) and seem more than happy with all their dealings with Gert.

thanks for the info Craig. Good to hear you were still able to do Castle Combe too as they can be hot on noise levels.

My hesitation is just on whether I should plump for the headers or sport cats too, or if the GT exhaust alone will be enough. Guess the safer option is just fit the exhaust then do the other parts later.

Cheers for the heads up on Northway too.

20 hours ago, MJ said:

thanks for the info Craig. Good to hear you were still able to do Castle Combe too as they can be hot on noise levels.

My hesitation is just on whether I should plump for the headers or sport cats too, or if the GT exhaust alone will be enough. Guess the safer option is just fit the exhaust then do the other parts later.

Cheers for the heads up on Northway too.

I was Bang On 100db (or perhaps a smidge under)....skin of teeth affair!

I am a fan of the Carnewal GT exhaust on my Gen II S, however mine is quite loud for track work, at Snetterton on the static test it was 104.7 db at 5,250 rpm (limit was 105). 

I would like to add 200 cell cats at some point but then it will be too loud for the track... 

Edited by crafty1

wow that's a big db noise difference between the Gen1 and Gen 2 models.  104 seems very loud though for just an exhaust box change. I would expect that if headers or sport cats had been done too.

5 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Having just the Carnewal on my CR took me just over the static limit of 105db at Hethel, but they turned a blind eye ?

Hethel they definitely don't care judging by how loud some of their v6 Exiges and Evoras are !

• Like 1

hmm that's kind of  a worry as even 'noisy' days are usually restricted at 105db these days 9_9

Having owned a few porkers over the years I really dislike the restrictive standard exhaust systems with their ever quieter tones, no doubt dumbed down to suit EU /Swiss/US  emission laws. Putting an aftermarket less restrictive system on generally makes  a much better  improvement in sound and performance in my experience. When I heard a few CR's at Oulton this year they sounded very disappointing/tame from the outside and the sound definitely doesn't live up to the look or vibe of the car which deserves to sound more exotic.

Out of interest what exhaust systems do the more exotic cars like Ferrari, Lambo, Aston martins run? Are they generally free flow headers and sport cats from the start?

Seems crazy that a CR is expected to gain an easy 15-25bhp just by swapping for a better exhaust and sport cats...that means they should be on the car from the factory!..bit like sport mode!  O.o  A CR should be in sport mode by default and you press a button if you want it in economy mode, not the other way around :6_smile:

Supercars run a valved exhaust system.  Flows through extra resonators at low RPM/low load, then the valve opens, bypassing the resonators, and giving a less restrictive exhaust for higher load or RPM.

You can get them for the 987.

Money no object I would go 200 cell cats and some form of switchable exhaust too. 

The Carnewal GT exhaust is good value for money, it gives the car more voice without being ott, and there is no drone either, whether it gives any more performance is debatable, however now on my car it means I can't really clear Brands Hatch, Bedford, or Goodwood db limits.  

• Founder

If anybody wants a CR exhaust to send to Gert to convert then mine is up for grabs guys! 

Gert ordered me brand new CR exhausts and converted them for me, expensive option but it means I’ve still got the original exhaust which came off the car at around 9k miles 

16 hours ago, crafty1 said:

Money no object I would go 200 cell cats and some form of switchable exhaust too. 

The Carnewal GT exhaust is good value for money, it gives the car more voice without being ott, and there is no drone either, whether it gives any more performance is debatable, however now on my car it means I can't really clear Brands Hatch, Bedford, or Goodwood db limits.  

That's my concern with regards Db levels, annoying as it is. I don't want to prevent myself ever being able to do a trackday in it as these cars are so capable in that environment. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and go for the more expensive valved systems for the best of both worlds. Its farcical that you can be as loud as you like on the public roads but have to be quieter on a race track 9_9 idiot councils.

Do you guys with PSE get on a trackday okay? Anyone know what Db level they push?

I even wonder if a valved system with sport cats would pass under 105db on a CR ?

On 24/05/2018 at 09:46, MJ said:

That's my concern with regards Db levels, annoying as it is. I don't want to prevent myself ever being able to do a trackday in it as these cars are so capable in that environment. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and go for the more expensive valved systems for the best of both worlds. Its farcical that you can be as loud as you like on the public roads but have to be quieter on a race track 9_9 idiot councils.

Do you guys with PSE get on a trackday okay? Anyone know what Db level they push?

I even wonder if a valved system with sport cats would pass under 105db on a CR ?

I run a PSE on my Cayman R and it tends to come in around 92dB for the static test, although I obviously have the exhaust set to normal mode for the test ?

I always run with the exhaust in sport mode when lapping, though, as the sound on full chat is just too intoxicating. I've had one drive by warning at Bedford, but that was when there was another car near me, and before they had the new photo-evidence noise system, so I'm not convinced it was me at all. 

Like you, my biggest concern with an exhaust upgrade is not being able to run the car at track days, which would be a crime with a car like the Cayman R. I did toy with the idea of a Capristo system at one point, since it has the valve system, but even that one will automatically open the valve on WOT, which would pretty much defeat the purpose on track. So I ended up sticking with the PSE. 

On a different note, would you not need a remap if you switched the headers to a high-flow sports cat configuration?