CDR30 radio won’t produce sound

Strange problem. It’s happened twice. Once last year and today, quite isolated. Also a temporary fix I googled that seemed to work

get in the car and radio comes on. Display lights up, frequenecies can be selected, but absolutely no sound, not even a hiss. It’s not on mute. CD function works and plays music. Turning car on and off does nothing.

What seemed to work was getting out, locking the car and walking away until key out of range then coming back and unlocking. Reading threads it’s hard to isolate the problem when taking to a dealership. Provided it’s isolated I’ll not do anything like swap the unit. But if persists I’ll have to look into it further.

Just the standard amp built into the radio I think. It’s all stock. Only thing is If the amp wasn’t powering up would the cd also not make Sound? 

Its weird when it happens. 

I had the same on the pcm last year. The ‘fix’ was just as you said - left it for the day whilst at work, came back, opened up, jumped in, started up and hey presto - working radio....?

16 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

Just the standard amp built into the radio I think. It’s all stock. Only thing is If the amp wasn’t powering up would the cd also not make Sound? 

Its weird when it happens. 

There can be an external amp under the passenger seat, I believe.  There is in my CR with base level factory audio.

I'm not saying that the key workaround may not be a correlation but, if this was any basic car, I would put it down to the amp not getting power.  You can never know what trickery Porsche is up to, unfortunately! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

There can be an external amp under the passenger seat, I believe.  There is in my CR with base level factory audio.

I'm not saying that the key workaround may not be a correlation but, if this was any basic car, I would put it down to the amp not getting power.  You can never know what trickery Porsche is up to, unfortunately! 

trickery ?nnnaaa.....it is what the evil elves do in the enchanted black forest of po 

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

Good shout, I’ll look under the seat to see. Was that fitted as stock?  It’s weird that when you select CD it plays music just fine, yet go to radio and it’s mute.  

Yes, it was stock.  If the amp is powered, you should hear a very quiet, light buzzing from the speakers, irrespective of whether there is any audio signal or not.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Yes, it was stock.  If the amp is powered, you should hear a very quiet, light buzzing from the speakers, irrespective of whether there is any audio signal or not.

When it does it it’s dead. no hissing at all. It’s only done it twice (touch wood). I can live with it six months apart. Hope it’s not going to start playing silly buggers more often. 

Six months apart isn't all that bad!

It's likely a failing relay in the amp or a bad ground.  I would start worrying about it when you're eventually left with no audio at all and wouldn't give it much thought until that time.  It's so intermittent that it's not worth trying to troubleshoot the issue until it's easy to replicate it.  One of those "wait until it gets worse" kind of things. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue, posted on here somewhere. I got mine to 'reset' itself by popping a cd in ! or eject and re-insert a cd.  It happened after I had it serviced at an OPC and also when I didn't use the car for a couple of weeks. Its an odd one for sure.