Brakes

Hi

Looking at getting better brakes life for track use

After some research I understand steel brake lines + gt3 ducts + front FERODO DS2500 are a good choice

I am also thinking GT3 Master Cylinder, what is the part number and cost? Woudl that be worth doing on a 2.9?

I have the Gt3 master cylinder installed, part number is 99735591030. You can get it from Design 911 for around £400. I believe TRW is the OEM and can be ordered form the US for a bit cheaper, but might take a while. 

I have the Gt3 ducts, cost around £3 each, so no brainer really. 

23 minutes ago, jcm987 said:

I have the Gt3 master cylinder installed, part number is 99735591030. You can get it from Design 911 for around £400. I believe TRW is the OEM and can be ordered form the US for a bit cheaper, but might take a while. 

I have the Gt3 ducts, cost around £3 each, so no brainer really. 

Thanks, I just ordered the ducts 

I am looking at Front discs too (Kinetix)

For the Master Cylinder, would one from AP racing work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222269816754 

This is the TRW part? https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/trw/2209927

Edited by Peopleandcars

I don't know about the AP racing one, I haven't seen/heard anyone do that before. I went with the GT3 cylinder because everyone recommended it and it goes with all the other GT3 parts that fit the cayman. 

Brake discs I just went with Brembo again, they work well enough and are cheap to replace. 

16 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

...I am looking at Front discs too (Kinetix)

I'm running the Kinetix fronts on my CS & my 350z GT 313... Zero issues with them... They look cool & are cheap to boot... Paired with my Ferodo DS2500 compound pads (on both cars) & using DOT 5.1 fluid I get zero fade... Performed faultlessly at Brands a couple months back...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

I'm running the Kinetix fronts on my CS & my 350z GT 313... Zero issues with them... They look cool & are cheap to boot... Paired with my Ferodo DS2500 compound pads (on both cars) & using DOT 5.1 fluid I get zero fade... Performed faultlessly at Brands a couple months back...

is the DOT5.1 the blue stuff?

What if I keep DOT4?

@Peopleandcars The DOT 5.1 is race spec high temp fluid (iirc it was ATE that did the blue fluid which I used in my track bike - not available now though!)...  DOT 5.1 has better resistance to fade than the DOT 4... 

17 hours ago, eponymoose said:

17 hours ago, eponymoose said:

The TRW part is the one Porsche will sell you for £400.  TRW supplies Porsche. You want TRW part number PMN166. Should be able to get it for a lot less than £280. I paid about £160.

It's also not really a 'GT3' MC. It was fitted to various 997 models, including C4S, Turbo and the GT3.

This!  I got mine on Amazon for £160 last year.  The only difference between the TRW part and the one you'll get from Porsche is the box it'll come in.

Very easy to fit and, whilst not actually doing anything for braking performance, it makes the drive much better. 

7 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@Peopleandcars The DOT 5.1 is race spec high temp fluid (iirc it was ATE that did the blue fluid which I used in my track bike - not available now though!)...  DOT 5.1 has better resistance to fade than the DOT 4... 

ATE have a successor to Super Racing Blue - Typ 200.  Still DOT 4-based. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a track day at Brands last week & my rears are shot & down to the pad limit... Just bought the rear DS2500 Ferodo's from https://www.jjcraceandrally.com/ & managed to get some original Brembo cross drilled rear discs for under a ton from ECP !!!