Fitting Ctek charger - any tips?

Windymiller

I got a Ctek MXS5 battery conditioner / charger for my birthday last week, with the ‘ringtail’ flyleads so I can permanently secure the lead to the battery and then just ‘plug and play’ with the charger. 

Couple of Qs:

1) will I need to disconnect the existing ‘loom’ cables from the battery terminal posts to fit the charging leads?

2) if ‘yes’ to 1 will I need to ‘reset’ anything on the car (987.2) after disconnecting and reconnecting the loom cables?

3) where is a good point to route the charging leads into the frunk? Was thinking a small hole through the back of the cubby space where I believe the multi-disc changer used to sit on 987.1 models?

Any other general tips for fitting these leads and using the Ctek charger gratefully received. 

Cheers, Jason

• Founder

You shouldn’t need to disconnect the battery to fit the ring tails Jason, I didn’t with mine.  

I routed mine up through the top cover for the battery, just the plug peeped out and easy to connect up without then opening up any covers each time. 

9 hours ago, Beanoir said:

You shouldn’t need to disconnect the battery to fit the ring tails Jason, I didn’t with mine.  

I routed mine up through the top cover for the battery, just the plug peeped out and easy to connect up without then opening up any covers each time. 

Thanks Nick ??

Job done - fitted this afternoon and now ‘on charge’. 

What do / did you do with the charger when on charge - ie leave the bonnet up with it connected?

ive passed the charger lead out through the front of the bonnet (over the squidgy rubber seal near the bonnet latch) and rested the charger (on a micro fibre cloth) on the front bumper and then gently closed the bonnet down onto the lead (there are no sharp edges at the front edge of the bonnet underside to trap the lead). 

And is it ok to leave plugged in and turned on all the time, or should I just use once a week / fortnight to keep it topped up?

Edited by Windymiller

• Founder

Depends, but I’d expect most battery conditioners to be self regulating and should be fine to leave on - I certainly did with mine.  The idea is it monitors battery condition and only feeds current when needed.  

I did exactly what you have, cloth over the bodywork and boot lid down but not latched.  I always wondered about doing a more clever mod through the wheel arch but never quite figured out a decent way of doing it.  

I have a permanent charging lead connected to the battery, terminated with an Anderson plug that is screwed onto the plastic Frunk liner so that I can plug in the other half of the Anderson plug from just in front of the windscreen but the plug remains hidden when not in use. It also means I will never be locked out again by a flat battery. I carry a jump cable with the Anderson plug at one end and I fitted another one to my battery charger leads.

Thanks steve, could you post a photo of where your plug protrudes / penetrates through the frunk liner / in front of the windscreen please. 

Ive fitted the permanent charging lead (with an Andersen style plug on it) to the battery and ran it up through the front edge of the battery compartment plastic lid and then  just laid the cable over the mass of black plastic to where the frunk ‘cubby hole’ top lid is, and then poked the Andersen plug end into the cubby hole (I think this is where the cd multi changer sits on some models). 

Ill try try and take a photo later and post it. 

It might be easier to buy the lighter socket attachment. I have the same car & plugging through the lighter socket makes it pretty much plug & play. The CTEK wire can be fed through the door and there is enough space to close the door without damaging it or the wire. Car can also be locked when using this method.

9 hours ago, Mutley said:

It might be easier to buy the lighter socket attachment. I have the same car & plugging through the lighter socket makes it pretty much plug & play. The CTEK wire can be fed through the door and there is enough space to close the door without damaging it or the wire. Car can also be locked when using this method.

Thanks Mutley. I have got the lighter socket plug, not used it yet as I thought the socket went ‘dead’ some while after shutting and locking the car? ?

do you leave yours plugged in and turned on constantly then?

Windy, see my post called "flat as a witches tit", I posted pics then, havnt stored them elsewhere sorry. If you need more, I will get snapping in daylight. cheers. welcome to gander over brekkie at Shuttleworth though Mate.

On 08/10/2018 at 23:25, Bushman said:

Windy, see my post called "flat as a witches tit", I posted pics then, havnt stored them elsewhere sorry. If you need more, I will get snapping in daylight. cheers. welcome to gander over brekkie at Shuttleworth though Mate.

Thanks Steve ??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use various types of "intelligent" chargers including Ctek on my boats and bikes and have found that they tend to boil small batteries over time so ended up running a small normal charger off a 7 day timer to cycle the charges instead. Intelli-chargers wont work off a timer as they need to be manually started each time. 

20 hours ago, Bushman said:

I used to use various types of "intelligent" chargers including Ctek on my boats and bikes and have found that they tend to boil small batteries over time so ended up running a small normal charger off a 7 day timer to cycle the charges instead. Intelli-chargers wont work off a timer as they need to be manually started each time. 

Cripes - better not just leave it plugged in and on constantly then. 

Maybe switch it (the charger) on every wknd through the winter ?

Mines plugged directly to the battery and the connector pops out over the battery cover and out of the frunk by the wiper blades. I’ve then purchased the CTEK extension cable which I then use to connect up to the unit. That’s how it sits for a month at a time and longer in the winter and never have a problem

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've got a cheaper Aldi battery conditioner for £13, but its very similar to a Ctek, its connected by the rings to the battery posts and then the charger and the extension cable are in the Frunk. The mains cable then goes out the top of the frunk hooks around the passenger wiper and then out around the front door step and into the garage under the door!