987 Cayman rally car build

That's great!

Would love to see a few more pics if you had some?

I see you also left some space for a CaymanOC club sticker or two on the car!

Hi & thanks. Its not really all that low, I have the ride height set as per the standard road car, its a Tarmac rally car, not for gravel or forests so it seems OK so far. Yes, its very well balanced and that makes it easy to drive, I'm sure there's a lot more performance in it for me purely by seat time before I start to modify it.

One of the problems in UK rallying is that the governing body, formerly MSA, now known as "Motorsport UK" impose a capacity limit on cars with engines that have more than 2 valves per cylinder of 3000cc which means you can only use a 2.7 or 2.9 engined Cayman (well you could of course use a 2 litre turbo engine). The 2.9 was too expensive for me so I'm stuck with a 2.7 which has only 245bhp  and it weighs 1270kgs so its not going to be comptitive really. I need to find out about what mods I can do, if any, to get the bhp up towards 300!

• 1 month later...

Yes, its a possibility although im not sure how an intercooler would get some air for cooling? Plus I would have to run on a 34mm turbo intake restrictor which seriously limits power. Would the compression ratio need to be lowered too to run a Turbo? The UK rules do allow you to run a turbo on a normally aspirated engine as long as the manufacturer has produced a turbo model of that car, which of course they have done now with the newer Cayman, food for thought!   

Water to air intercooler?  There's probably nowhere to install an ordinary intercooler, and imagine how long those charge pipes would need to be... The throttle response would be awful.