Window whistle

Ben

Hi all

My Cayman is suffering from another common issue I believe - wind noise eminating from the passenger window above 40mph. I've done some googling and it seems most people think it comes from the either the wing mirror or the window seal. Going to have a look at this at the weekend and just wondered if anyone else had experienced it and/or had any advice?

Cheers 

I had this on two cars before - one was caused by the wing mirror cover being slightly loose.  Air would get under the cover and make a horrible whistling sound.  Solution was remove and refit the cover properly.

On another vehicle I owned (MX-5), I would get a noise above 65.  This was caused by the window not being tight enough against the seal around the roof.  Solution was to remove the door card and adjust the tilt mechanism to push the window in toward the seal.

I would visually compare both sides and see if there are any obvious differences.  That should point you in the right direction.  It should be pretty clear if something is out of place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I had this on two cars before - one was caused by the wing mirror cover being slightly loose.  Air would get under the cover and make a horrible whistling sound.  Solution was remove and refit the cover properly.

On another vehicle I owned (MX-5), I would get a noise above 65.  This was caused by the window not being tight enough against the seal around the roof.  Solution was to remove the door card and adjust the tilt mechanism to push the window in toward the seal.

I would visually compare both sides and see if there are any obvious differences.  That should point you in the right direction.  It should be pretty clear if something is out of place.

Thanks Aaron. Yes another suggestion on a different forum was to tape up the gaps in the mirrors, seals, etc and go for a drive. Then remove bits of the tape until you discover where the noise comes from. Sounds like it could be worth a whirl! 

• 9 months later...

Just thought I'd raise this one again as my passenger window is still whistling!  More noticeable in the winter I suppose when you have the windows up more often :) 

Tried using tape to determine the source but found that to be inconclusive. 

I read on another forum that it could be due to the glass not sitting tight enough up against the rubber seal, and that there is some sort of adjuster at the bottom edge of the door under a rubber grommet - anyone ever come across this before?!

There are "adjusters" on the bottom of the door... When replacing a window winder mechanism for instance, you use them to adjust the glass run etc... Common issue is that people shut the door by pushing on the upper portion of the door glass hence affecting how the glass seats on the rubber surround 😉 

Edited by Mavrik
  • Thanks 1

I have something similar on the driver's side of my Cayman; a whistle at higher speed. 

More detail on those window adjuster wotsits would be much appreciated. (And yes, I am an idle hound and can't be bothered to Google it for myself!) 

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. Anyone confirm that the bolts at the bottom of the door is adjusted w/ a 10mm socket? What do each of the 2 middle bolts adjust relevant to the window?

I'm pretty sure its a 10mm.  The 2 bolts, from recollection, one moves the glass out, the other in, I think - you can see the whole glass moving - I just played around with it until it looked right TBH!    

Thanks Ben, I'm looking at purchasing a 987.2 and the owner mentioned about the whistling. He did adjust a little and improved but I wanted to play around with it a bit more to eliminate it completely. I'm assuming you adjusted the bolt that moves the window in and closed it until it sit flush with the window rubber pieces?

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/03/2020 at 21:35, Ben said:

Ok time for a quick update on this - nice weather has meant I've finally had a chance to get a good look at the adjustors at the bottom of the door. 

There are 4 rubber grommets which easily prise off at the bottom of each door. The 2 nearest to the middle each give easy access to a 10mm (I think) bolt. If you loosen off each of these bolts, you can move them left or right (or in and out depending on how you look at it!) to adjust the rake of the window, front and back, so its closer or further away from the frame. You can easily see the whole window glass moving as you do it. I adjusted mine so that  when closed the window was pressed almost as far as it would allow against the window frame, ensuring a very tight seal. Re-tighten the bolt and replace the grommets and then test run. Mine used to squeal quite badly at 45mph ish. Took it down the motorway at over 70 and no more noise.

Very happy!

Hope this helps someone👍

Hi Ben

This sounds like a solution to the issue with mine, ill be giving this a go, my drivers door feels like its dropped a little so hopefully this will resolve the issue I have.