Michelin PS4 or PS2 N rated

Guys,

I read a few post about this but I have not been able to find a solution.

I ordered the front tyres from blackcircles, the PS4 (18") because I thought it was the best choice as they were they should be the latest built with the best technology, but they wrote me back saying that they are not N rated so are not Porsche approved and I could encounter warranty problem and maybe insurance problem if something happen.

The other choice could be to go for the PS2 and I should be okay, but to me it sounds just stupid.

Any thought?

Cheers,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

The whole N rating thing has generated reams of responses over the years (just Google it!), I'll skip that and keep my opinion short!

Do you have a warranty on your car that requires N rated tyres? If not you'll find you have a much larger range of quality tyres available to choose from compared to "N" rated only.

I'd guestimate a large number of us on here with non-warranted vehicles aren't on N rated tyres. As for insurance, so long as you have acceptable tyres re loading, speed rating etc, they are unlikely to care about N versus non N. I asked the question of my insurer (I have slightly over width tyres, see another string currently running in the forum), and they were happy with that, including the non N rating.

I went through the same process, moving from older N rated tyres to newer non-N rated tyres, and it was a step up on all fronts. I have  Michelin PS4 on the front,and SuperSports on the rear (long story for another time, but the combination works well). PS2's (N rated) are older and more expensive than SuperSports (non-N) which are often rated as being just as good (perhaps better?) as the PS2 . The PS4 is a recent addition, it's a well regarded performance road tyre, capable on the track as well,  and seen as more or less being on par with the Super Sport (some variations re which one is better in the wet, versus dry weather etc).

Obviously if you had 19" rims you could look at the PS4S, which is a step ahead across the board.

Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

Hi Craig,

thanks much for your answer.

At the moment I've got an insurance which is going to end in April next year. The previous owner added the Porsche warranty when he did the service at a Porsche dealer...but I don't think it is related to the tyres (I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact name of the warranty).

As you said, I don't think that is going to be a problem for the insurance as long as I will stick with a non N rated good tyres.

My idea was exactly the same as yours: the latest tyre technology should be the best one. At the moment will end up exactly as per you. I will have SP4 at the front and Sport pilot at the rear.

I think I will stay with the SP4...

Cheers,

Andrea

Just as a follow up:

I got a ring to my insurance and they said that as long as they are standard tyre, they don't bother.

So I will stick for the SP4.

If you have a Porsche (main dealer) warranty it will have required the fitment of N rated tyres.

Yes, it is a main dealer warranty. Do you know what this warranty is going to cover? Because it is not clear to me.

cheers,

Andrea

If you fit non-N rated tyres, you invalidate your OPC warranty. What the warranty covers or not is not the point as nothing is covered if you have non-N rated tyres.

I don't have a warranty, but when I tried to purchase Michelin PS4s (not the same as Michelin PS4, but both non-N rated) from Blackcircles, they warned me that I would have to sign a disclaimer before they would authorise them to be fitted.

Understood. My point was that if the warranty cover only the last service and for example if in that service has been done just the pads, the oil change and the plugs, I don’t need a warranty because those parts are not covered anyway. So, if this is the case the warranty is pointless.

Anyway,

lets see how it will ends. I am waiting for an answer from black circles.

Cheers,

Andrea

If you have an OPC warranty it would be very unwise to fit non N rated tyres, in fact you'd be mad. Whilst most manufacturers do get some stick for shoddy warranty products the Porsche one is pretty good.

The whole point of buying Porsche approved is that you get the warranty and back up should something go wrong. You WILL invalidate your warranty if you go town this road, and the warranty is very comprehensive.

Edited to say that the warranty will cover everything on the car, not just what was done on the last service.

Edited by Dougle_turbo
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

If you have an OPC warranty it would be very unwise to fit non N rated tyres, in fact you'd be mad. Whilst most manufacturers do get some stick for shoddy warranty products the Porsche one is pretty good.

The whole point of buying Porsche approved is that you get the warranty and back up should something go wrong. You WILL invalidate your warranty if you go town this road, and the warranty is very comprehensive.

Edited to say that the warranty will cover everything on the car, not just what was done on the last service.

Thank you very much for your answer. 

I was wondering...I have swapped the steering wheel with a multi functional and I put on the cruise control...obviously not through an OPC. Maybe this can interrupt the warranty?

cheers,

Andrea

Maybe, but you would have to be pretty unlucky for them to notice the steering wheel change (unless its not stock), let alone the cruise stalk. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you can wait for tyres, the MPS4S has an N rating now (newest tyre tech). The problem is getting hold of them.

21 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Maybe, but you would have to be pretty unlucky for them to notice the steering wheel change (unless its not stock), let alone the cruise stalk. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you can wait for tyres, the MPS4S has an N rating now (newest tyre tech). The problem is getting hold of them.

It’s a stock steering wheel. So may be not to worry about. 

Unfortunately I have placed the order already. I need to amend it...

thanks for your help

8 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

It's not even as simple as that. N rating doesn't mean N rating for any Porsche. They are model specific. For example, what is N rated for a 911 may or may not be N rated for a Cayman.

I used to own an Alpina and they give only one tyre that can be fitted. The brand, type and size were in the owner's handbook. At least Porsche owners have some choice.

Cheers,

Bryan

Has anyone tried a lower weight rated tyre? The weight rating for the standard tyres is 91 (615kg per tyre) which I reckon is about 100kg more than you'd ever need. Are 84 weight rated tyres lighter?

14 minutes ago, briggy said:

It's not even as simple as that. N rating doesn't mean N rating for any Porsche. They are model specific. For example, what is N rated for a 911 may or may not be N rated for a Cayman.

I used to own an Alpina and they give only one tyre that can be fitted. The brand, type and size were in the owner's handbook. At least Porsche owners have some choice.

Cheers,

Bryan

Good point, although I do know people who have had MPS4S fitted to their Caymans by Porsche.

Also of note is the fact that the N rating is a compound rating. The PS2s are actually on their 3rd revision N2. In some respects this is more than a "standard" non N rated tyre might be reviewed. Usually manufacturers will not revisit a compound with out a relaunch of the product. 

Just as a follow up I ended up for a PS2 N4.

Right back now from the garage...

Thanks all for your help!

MPS2 N2  all round for me today. Major service tomorrow followed by empty wallet but still smiling because we get to drive our Caymans 😜

• Haha 1