Seatbelt warning light & chime constant

Got in car to return from Porches on the Prom and the seatbelt warning dash light and ‘bing-bong’ chime are on - thankfully the chime stops after 2 minutes, or it would have driven me mad for 4hrs driving back. 

But it every time I switch off, get out, and then get back in and turn the ignition and drive off over 10mph it starts again. 

Ive clipped in both belts, it makes no difference. 

I think its he drivers side as there’s obviously the weight of me on the seat upon starting up (and seat belt clipped in). 

The seat belt ‘receiver’ attached to the seat has a wire connected to it. 

So, I’m assuming either this wire is damaged (resulting in an open circuit that causes the chime), or the receiver itself is damaged. 

Anyone experienced similar?

Is it possible to replace the wire /

receiver alone? Is it a seat out job?

Edited by Windymiller

Jason, it might be worth checking under the seat for damp or obstruction causing the load sensor to believe there is someone sitting in the seat, even then there would have to be a fault with the microswitch in the seat belt receiver to trigger an alarm if it still went off with the belt plugged in. the microswitch can easily be metered out to prove functionality. have u tried unplugging the seat?

As Bushman says, I'd check under the seats and establish if the cable is plugged in. The seat belt cable is the grey connector the wires go into the seat belt itself. The yellow connector is under the front edge of the seat clipped to a plastic bracket. Interestingly my passenger side didn't have a cable. I switched off the chime (for track use) with Durametric, if you get stuck with yours happy to do the same for you.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4801.jpg.cc4a6078a41ff446a59395b9fd2dd0f9.jpg

Thanks both Steve and Dougle, this is very helpful intel. 

so - I’ve unshipped the yellow connections housing from under the seat and then disconnected it. Mines a little different to yours dougle - it’s got additional cables for the electric seat adjustment. 

But i identified the seat seat belt receptacle cable in the loom, and which 2 pins the blue and yellow cables go to. 

Ive continuity checked between the pins both with the seat belt clipped in, and out, of the receptacle. In both instances it reads 400ohms. So there’s resistance there whether the belts clipped in or not. I’d have expected there to be nil resistance (ie total continuity) with the belt clipped in. 

Interestingly, I’ve started the car without sitting in the seat, with the belt clipped in and it still gives me the warning. 

And, with the yellow connector disconnected I get no seat belt warning, but I also lose electric seat adjustment. 

Which makes me think:

1) the seat ‘thinks’ someone’s sat in it even when not

2) the belt receptacle is not registering when it’s clipped in

Strange / low probability that both functions would ‘fail’ simultaneously...

could you do me a favour please and check on yours, if you start without sitting in the seat, does the seat belt warning light illuminate or not, before clipping the belt in?

i can’t see anything under the seat that is the actual ‘load sensor’ for someone sitting in it 🧐🤔

thanks gents. 

Edited by Windymiller

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I'm afraid my seats are out so I can't help you out there.

It does seem odd that if you disconnect the seat belt wires the electric seats stop working.

My whole yellow connector is different to yours in the photo. 

Mines 2halves that clip together, and has 3 other cables going into it on one side (I presume seat load sensor, heating element supply and seat adjustment control/supply) - the other half has a combined electrical loom plugged in that disappears into the floor. 

For now I’ve disconnected the seat belt buckle cable out of the yellow connector, which appears to kill the seat belt warning light and bing-bong chime. 

But now I have an airbag warning light oh FFS... 😤

pah...

Jason

Just checked mine. If I start car without sitting in seat the seat belt light comes on.

Darren

13 hours ago, Windymiller said:

My whole yellow connector is different to yours in the photo. 

Mines 2halves that clip together, and has 3 other cables going into it on one side (I presume seat load sensor, heating element supply and seat adjustment control/supply) - the other half has a combined electrical loom plugged in that disappears into the floor. 

For now I’ve disconnected the seat belt buckle cable out of the yellow connector, which appears to kill the seat belt warning light and bing-bong chime. 

But now I have an airbag warning light oh FFS... 😤

pah...

If you start the car with the yellow connector undone that will throw an airbag light. It can be reset with Durametric, happy to help if your down my way (Twickenham).

12 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

If you start the car with the yellow connector undone that will throw an airbag light. It can be reset with Durametric, happy to help if your down my way (Twickenham).

Cheers Dougle. 

I found a 996 wiring diagram (obviously different to 997/987, but have some similarities...) and it shows he seat belt warning system being linked with airbags via the SRS control unit - so that makes sense that the airbag light is now on. 

It it also shows the belt buckle has 400ohm resistance in it, which corroborates with the measurement I took. 

I do now think it’s the buckle microswtich that’s at fault. A new buckle is £140 from design 911, but I bet the switch is pence 🤨

doesn’t look like the buckle comes apart (without breaking it). 

So so think I’ll need to order one, fit it, and then have an excuse to drive out (like I ever need an excuse to drive her) to you for an airbag light reset. 

Can also have a good look round your mods then too 👍🏻

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Cheers Dougle. 

I found a 996 wiring diagram (obviously different to 997/987, but have some similarities...) and it shows he seat belt warning system being linked with airbags via the SRS control unit - so that makes sense that the airbag light is now on. 

It it also shows the belt buckle has 400ohm resistance in it, which corroborates with the measurement I took. 

I do now think it’s the buckle microswtich that’s at fault. A new buckle is £140 from design 911, but I bet the switch is pence 🤨

doesn’t look like the buckle comes apart (without breaking it). 

So so think I’ll need to order one, fit it, and then have an excuse to drive out (like I ever need an excuse to drive her) to you for an airbag light reset. 

Can also have a good look round your mods then too 👍🏻

Sounds like a plan. 👍

• Like 1

have a look through the ebay breakers Jason, its not a known or common fault so there should be plenty out there from Boxsters or Crocs that have met an untimely demise.

Nice work, it's always satisfying when you get an easy fix. I'm off on a driving trip around Wales on Saturday (inc a track day at Anglesey 😎). But the following weekend is fine.

1 hour ago, Bushman said:

good job mate. you will be fixing wind turbines soon then

Ha ha ha 😉👍🏻

Airbag warning light reset too - it had only come on because I’d turned the ignition on with the seat belt buckle wiring loom disconnected. 

Used a local indy that I stumbled on purely by chance - doesn’t advertise anywhere. 

DS Automtives Aylesbury. 

http://www.dsautomotives.co.uk/

So, everything’s back to fully operational 👍🏻

• Like 1