sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

Stop mucking about Shuv; go the Mahoosive Whale Tail and be done with it. I had a Maxton Design front splitter on mine as an experiment....they’re inexpensive, more cosmetic than high performance gear (though I think it made a bit of difference re front downforce at Goodwood). They do side skirts etc for the 987, though fitting is important .....mine tore off early this week when I was driving home late a night, fortunately very little damage to the car (to be fair, I might have been going a little faster than normal....)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Have you considered a "BMW M-Sport" badge, some stick on bonnet vents (I think Halfords still have some nice ones), one of those awesome window stickers that the VW people have that say things like, "Untouchable" in a funny script, and perhaps some of those blue LED headlight things? After spending so much money on making your car look perfect, I think these will give it that final classy look that you are after ;)

Joking aside, the 987.1 aerokit (basically the same as the Cayman R splitters) would look good without looking "modified"

M-Sport badges ? I don't even own a 118D 😂

LMAO on the other 'mods' and options. I do think you're showing your age though. The current fashionista are all currently sporting GTR badges. That or go home......

I've read of it - but never paid attention to the Aero kit. What does it consist of ?  **How many BHP's can i expect to gain coupled with my induction kit and cherry bomb back-box ?

3 hours ago, Craiglm68 said:

Stop mucking about Shuv; go the Mahoosive Whale Tail and be done with it. I had a Maxton Design front splitter on mine as an experiment....they’re inexpensive, more cosmetic than high performance gear (though I think it made a bit of difference re front downforce at Goodwood). They do side skirts etc for the 987, though fitting is important .....mine tore off early this week when I was driving home late a night, fortunately very little damage to the car (to be fair, I might have been going a little faster than normal....)

Morning my Friend. How you doing Craig ? Wow. Yes. Love the thought process !!!! Might indeed work my way up to the BBQ look rear end. Actually put my stock rear spoiler up manually myself going less than 75mph for the first time ever this morning: just so i could look at it in a shop window. I tell you - i'm such a rebel now i'm approaching 50. Its like all my inhibitions have gone 😄

Arghhh - i did search 'Splitters' last night in a semi-comatose state and came across the Maxton item. Not sure if it needs to be more menacing, or paint some bits contrasting colour to break it up, whack on a load of stick on 'Aero' bits or........ (Now about to go finish cleaning. I'll have a ponder).

Not good on yours and getting a little carried away 🤣 You think the cars 'survived' ?

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

Near 50-mile sunrise blat today. Great time to be alive with dry roads, some beautiful Norfolk scenery and most of the World still in bed. Apart from the Police Van i met at a roundabout. ***I may have been going in a little hot; and entering it at a slightly unorthodox angle. I'm not sure who was more surprised. Concerted effort to look in total control whilst scrubbing speed; avoiding eye contact and carrying about my business as normally as i could; seemed to avert a situation. Either that or the officers were biding time until shift end...... 🙄 🤣

I really wanted to see how the 911 GT3 Master cylinder felt on a proper run out. Definitely improved over stock. And absolutely no regrets. Not quite what i imagined though for some reason (?) Still takes a fair poke (effort) to stop, maybe not as much feel - almost a little wooden - but in terms of stopping faster for less pedal travel [Which was my main gripe] - a different World and i wouldn't go back. 

**Either way it's vastly better than the dead initial travel and needing to depress that middle peg pretty damned hard to get any braking worth talking about previously. I guess anyone doing this (Inc me) should remember that its one component that we are updating; not swapping over to a completely uprated, modern and matched system.....

Since then i've spent (quite) a few hours in the garage / dodging the showers and layering up the wax on the fresh areas of paint, and going over the the whole car once again for good luck.

New Handbrake cables and roof gutter seals next - when the arrive with  me.

Matt Black headlight surround trims after that / when they arrive from the USA.

And operation 'Man-up the front of the Cayman' has begun - if only in the planning stage 😎

JPyyr5el.jpg

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Haha 1

What you are describing sounds very much like "old" Porsche brakes to me (I haven't driven anything newer than a 997). 

On the track they feel amazing but on the road they can be a little wooden feeling as you say. 

The problem with the standard Cayman brakes for me is that dead travel at the top. You have to push through it to get any real braking power. One you have the pedal feel and power seems good to me

What pads do you have on it? 

On 22/08/2020 at 10:34, sevenfourate said:

Morning my Friend. How you doing Craig ? Wow. Yes. Love the thought process !!!! Might indeed work my way up to the BBQ look rear end. Actually put my stock rear spoiler up manually myself going less than 75mph for the first time ever this morning: just so i could look at it in a shop window. I tell you - i'm such a rebel now i'm approaching 50. Its like all my inhibitions have gone 😄

Arghhh - i did search 'Splitters' last night in a semi-comatose state and came across the Maxton item. Not sure if it needs to be more menacing, or paint some bits contrasting colour to break it up, whack on a load of stick on 'Aero' bits or........ (Now about to go finish cleaning. I'll have a ponder).

Not good on yours and getting a little carried away 🤣 You think the cars 'survived' ?

## I can visualise your car with a dozen dive planes/canards hanging off the front of your car! And yes, despite the loud "Bang" when it came off, little damage...a bit of the front bumper pulled off a mounting point by a cm or so, easily popped back on. And yes, the older I get, the better I was (!!) re being a rebel! Since lowering I've decided I don't need to make the front any lower so staying stock for now....until a GT3 rear wing comes up and I buy myself a pop rivet gun 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

Long time with no updates. And with little happening re the Cayman (Most of my free time being spent on the new 'daily' this last few months); along with being just ridiculously busy at work with COVID - i didn't have too much to report.

But the Cayman has had a few parts building up here; and i've got a few new genuine trim seals, some handbrake cables, a pair of Matt Black KSI Studios headlight trims and a new set of numberplates to go on. And this week a Rennline GT3 Smile vent kit arrived from the USA [Waiting time until at least January 4th 2021 here in the UK....and was cheaper from the US to boot.......and arrived in just 2.5 days as it happened] 😎

TBLZEVh.jpg

I'm looking to somewhat 'replicate' this front end: with the smile vent, the Black headlight trim and the painting Black of the fog-light spars.

pJLmCi0.jpg

And i think thats going to 'have' to move on to lowering - to make the car a touch more aggressive all-around.......as is the idea with the front-end changes.

I've had Eibach springs on two previous cars, and have fairly recently fitted them to my MX-5. And i've always been super-happy with the results. ***Although most here fit H&R's ?????***

But for now with the gritters now out in force. Here she sits.....

2QcHPMA.jpg

Cheers all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2020 at 23:21, Hunter said:

Interested to see how the bumper vent goes.

Not tempted by a third radiator to go with it?

I'll update with pics of fitting: and fitted when my growing pile of bits gets fitted in the New Year ! No third rad on the radar here. "Form not function"  😁

So i figure with the smile vent etc going on to 'beef up' the looks of the front end - i'm kind of now committed to lowering and fitting some wheel spacers to boot.

Most seem to fit H+R springs. But i've had great success with 2 other cars with Eibachs (All road use only). And the consensus seems to be 7mm spacers front and 15mm rear.

Anyone spot any problems with these springs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs-E10-72-008-01-22-for-Porsche-Cayman/282251020477

These front spacers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7MM-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACER-KIT-PORSCHE-ALLOY-5X130-PCD-71-6MM-LONG-BOLTS-2A10P37/362720356429

Or these rear spacers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15MM-HUBCENTRIC-ALLOY-WHEEL-SPACERS-BOLTS-PORSCHE-911-996-997-991-2B10P45/361153933012 

Thanks !

I think that extending the rear track in relation to the front probably won't offer any handling benefits on the 987 (most likely it will increase understeer as you are essentially softening the rear).

Why not stick with the Porsche Tequipment approach of 5mm all round?

Edited by Lennym1984
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I think that extending the rear track in relation to the front probably won't offer any handling benefits on the 987 (most likely it will increase understeer as you are essentially softening the rear).

Why not stick with the Porsche Tequipment approach of 5mm all round?

Thankyou for those thoughts. A valid suggestion indeed. And one i was unaware of !

No reason other than visuals initially for me......

After seeing pictures of lowered cars without spacers - and how recessed the wheels look. And seeing a friends on 7mm / 15mm respectively.

Performance talk is ok. And perhaps all relative. Living life at the last tenth of handling performance isn't reality perhaps on the Queens highway. My journey to work and for pleasure is on real roads - not Silverstone race Track ? 

Interesting stuff.

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

Performance talk is ok. And perhaps all relative. Living life at the last tenth of handling performance isn't reality perhaps on the Queens highway. My journey to work and for pleasure is on real roads - not Silverstone race Track ?

Fair point. Mine goes on track and so I'm probably coming at it from a different angle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Fair point. Mine goes on track and so I'm probably coming at it from a different angle.

You’ve probably just come into the discussion via a late apex figuratively. Ive come in having  just avoided the pot-holes whilst traversing to ‘Cars-n-coffee’ 😎

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

You’ve probably just come into the discussion via a late apex figuratively. Ive come in having  just avoided the pot-holes whilst traversing to ‘Cars-n-coffee’ 😎

This is also probably the reason why yours looks really nice whereas mine is peppered in stone chips and bruises (although no dents... I draw the line at dents and/or bodyfiller)

• Haha 1

As you probably know Syer I have the same setup you are looking at (h&r 30mm springs and 15 and 7mm spacers) and I love the stance of the car now, makes a massive difference visually. In terms of ride and handling, I'm no expert but have not noticed much difference in understeer but the car feels so much more planted than before.

Only other points I will make are that I went for h&r spacers which are a lot more expensive than some of the unbranded ones on ebay but when you think what their job is you don't want them failing! 😁  Also bear in mind that the major cost is in the labour for fitting new springs - count on some suspension parts being chopped out and needing replacing as so badly rusted, and new top mounts. It all adds up unfortunately! 😭 Mind you, you won't regret it when it's done 😊👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben said:

As you probably know Syer I have the same setup you are looking at (h&r 30mm springs and 15 and 7mm spacers) and I love the stance of the car now, makes a massive difference visually. In terms of ride and handling, I'm no expert but have not noticed much difference in understeer but the car feels so much more planted than before.

Only other points I will make are that I went for h&r spacers which are a lot more expensive than some of the unbranded ones on ebay but when you think what their job is you don't want them failing! 😁  Also bear in mind that the major cost is in the labour for fitting new springs - count on some suspension parts being chopped out and needing replacing as so badly rusted, and new top mounts. It all adds up unfortunately! 😭 Mind you, you won't regret it when it's done 😊👍

Cheers Ben.

I was supposed to be going to look at a friends 987.1 with exactly same set up as yours tonight. But its going to be the weeknd now......

Yes - i'd factored in some suspension parts being replaced. And Geo being done after of course. As a matter of interest do you know or remember what top mounts you fitted; or who makes the original parts ?  These keep popping up (Seem very reasonably priced) and are claiming to be 'Heavy duty OEM parts / quality":

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-SACHS-TOP-MOUNT-BEARING-STRUT-SUSPENSION-SUPPORT-FRICTION-ROLLER-802553/373097922621?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche%7CPlat_Gen%3A987&hash=item56de5e803d:g:YTkAAOSwN5Ze-dH5

Yea - i'm well aware theres no going back once lowered. I've done it to my last 5 (?) cars. Porsche has just taken longer than most for whatever reason. Hope i'm as happy as you clearly are 🙂 

Take care.

Syer.

Edited by sevenfourate

13 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Cheers Ben.

I was supposed to be going to look at a friends 987.1 with exactly same set up as yours tonight. But its going to be the weeknd now......

Yes - i'd factured in some suspension parts being replaced. And Geo being done after of course. As a matter of interest do you know or remember what top mounts you fitted; or who makes the original parts ?  These keep popping up (Seem very reasonably priced) and are claiming to be 'Heavy duty OEM parts / quality":

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-SACHS-TOP-MOUNT-BEARING-STRUT-SUSPENSION-SUPPORT-FRICTION-ROLLER-802553/373097922621?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche%7CPlat_Gen%3A987&hash=item56de5e803d:g:YTkAAOSwN5Ze-dH5

Yea - i'm well aware theres no going back once lowered. I've done it to my last 5 (?) cars. Porsche has just taken longer than most for whatever reason. Home i'm as happy as you clearly are 🙂 

Take care.

Syer.

The garage I used to fit them sourced the top mounts Syer, it was all a bit last minute so I have a feeling they got them from the local OPC, probably cost me a fortune 😁

45 minutes ago, Ben said:

The garage I used to fit them sourced the top mounts Syer, it was all a bit last minute so I have a feeling they got them from the local OPC, probably cost me a fortune 😁

No worries Ben. Thanks anyway. 

Off to do a little more 'research'........