sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

On 04/07/2021 at 17:32, sevenfourate said:

The baby 987 continues to run strong / great; and has been enjoyed a lot more this year so far ! Never fails to raise a smile from me; and still gets plenty of comments:

bYWI7yM.jpg

But as with any older car - does have the occasional niggle !

The latest of which was a failed 'Tell-tale" LED on the heated rear window switch. Turns out this LED is actually printed on the front of two PCB's inside the climate control unit. **Of which second hand ones (Which could be 17 years old) were £300+. And prices of well into 4 figures for parts alone were being banded around in terms of a repair.

So: off to my trusted, talented, irreplaceable and (Rightly) very well looked after mechanic i go 😁

Taking it all in his stride; he removes the whole climate control unit, splits it apart, removes the PCB(s), diagnoses a broken connection on the offending LED (Which you can see from the second picture next to a ball-point pen.......was the size of the ball on that same pen !!!), re-solders it up and puts it back together. And then charges me an astounding £80.00. Needless to say i topped that up - very grateful for the cheap fixing of an annoying issue - and went home very thankful.

Y0Ovr8P.jpg

bWWkp5E.jpg

**Unfortunately on getting the car out of the garage that day to take it for Climate control repairs - i noticed a small coolant leak on the garage floor. Its the (Wet in the picture below) joint between a rubber hose and a plastic "Y-pipe" at the bottom of the car on the passenger side. 

After looking at a coolant system diagram and then arming 'us' with £55 worth of various clips, internal couplers and different size O-rings from 911Design; i'm hoping this is another easy / cheap fix. We find out Friday !

eoNZd5b.jpg

Cheers for looking........

Thanks for the update on the LED issue Syer, good to know that its fixable, without breaking the bank!

• Like 1

So a very small coolant leak recently appeared; from what turned out to be the connection on a return pipe.

Yes; lots of people have all the well-documented and troublesome crossover pipes renewed together. But there's also an argument to leave what's working well alone - and only tackle the immediate problem / area in-hand. 

So we decided to renew the one leaking pipe. This wasn't a decision based on £££££  [*Look at the bottom of my 1st post on Page 1 to see how much £££££ i've spent on this car in 2 years]. But was based on potentially getting into some un-needed headaches. The fact everything else both looked ok and didn't leak; and that if subframe had to come off; we're then getting into days off work to get recently done Geo re-done again blah blah. **If and when the next coolant leak appears in my ownership - the whole lot will be replaced at that point i think; or maybe even done over Winter as preventative maintenance.

So; turns out one of the sealing O-rings had out-lived its natural life. Coolant was leaking past it. Resulting in a mega-manky looking and non-sealing joint. And a damp garage floor.....

An hours cunning work from my mechanic to get the seemingly now welded joint apart, £45 inc next day postage from 911 design for a hose, a litre of Coolant and then some time fitting and then re-filling the system all went painlessly. And i'm of course now saving vast fortunes of money on the kitchen roll that i was using to mop up the damp garage floor........😉

On other news; i've been daily'ing the car to work recently. Never fails to impress or amaze. Takes every mundane work journey - or 2 minutes of madness in its stride. And with the de-snork, filter, exhaust and re-map feels so much more alert, alive, punchier and responsive than it did as stock. Not to mention sounding a bit fruiter too !

Such a fun car for every occasion.

ORIGINAL LEAK (DARK PATCH ON "Y-PIPE"):

eoNZd5b.jpg

OLD HOSE CONNECTION VERSUS NEW:

fdqk9UY.jpg

So the next decision is: Do we add a rear wing to the Baby-Beetle or not..........

Cheers for stopping in 🙂

• Like 1

Summer Spruce up this weekend 😁 Leather treated, wheels sealed, paintwork stripped, clayed them sealed etc etc. The full mahuna !

**Unfortunately 🤷‍♂️ - there’s something I’ve been thinking of / wanting to do for some while now; and I need to raise some pretty substantial funds to do this. It’s now or never - so the Cayman may have to go if “£15k” or so becomes the stumbling block that stops me. A shame. But no regrets !

Perhaps ‘The last clean’ has just happened 🤔

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Hopefully you’ll be back in another one soon 748 👍🏻

Mine will be for sale in May ‘22, just in time for you to have another one for the summer 😉

Thanks for the offer 🤣

***My next toy is gonna have half the amount of wheels though……

**What direction are you going next ?

Edited by sevenfourate

18 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Thanks for the offer 🤣

***My next toy is gonna have half the amount of wheels though……

**What direction are you going next ?

I’ve placed an order for a 718 Cayman GTS4.0, estimated delivery Sept / Oct ‘22!

But I’ll sell my 987 in May to free up the deposit money. I need her till April for a Porsche only champagne region tour I’ve booked to take the wife on - she drinks, I drive, perfect 🍾🥂🏎😉👍🏻😁

Enjoy life on 2-wheels 👍🏻

• Like 1