Looking for Cayman 987.2 S

Hi, I'm finally dipping my toe into the world of Porsche!

I have wanted a Cayman for sometime now and have done loads of research into the different engines, gen1 Vs gen 2 ect.

I have decided to go for a gen 2 S manual, not too worried about the colour (apart from black or white!), I have searched all the usual sites, eBay, autotrader, motors.com, piston heads for the last month or so but nothing really jumps out.

I want all the usually, reasonable to low mileage, full service history and a straight car, no crazy track mods.

Does anyone know where i should be looking or know of anyone with a good solid car for sale?

Thanks 

Thanks for the quick reply and the good advice.

I have considered the early 981's however I'm thinking the 6 cylinder S is going to be a better driving experience, I maybe wrong on that, happy for guidance.

This one took my fancy but there is something about the dealer that I'm not sure about. Anybody got any experience.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907160137164?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=25000&postcode=nn113th&model=CAYMAN&page=1&price-from=22500&make=PORSCHE&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

Thanks

6 minutes ago, TokstolleUK said:

Thanks for the quick reply and the good advice.

I have considered the early 981's however I'm thinking the 6 cylinder S is going to be a better driving experience, I maybe wrong on that, happy for guidance.

This one took my fancy but there is something about the dealer that I'm not sure about. Anybody got any experience.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907160137164?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=25000&postcode=nn113th&model=CAYMAN&page=1&price-from=22500&make=PORSCHE&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

Thanks

This car was for sale privately just few days ago at a lower price of course. You want a clean car where this one has few mods like a lightweight flywheel and an aftermarket exhaust. Also consider it has ceramic brakes tho...something to keep in mind as future expense. 

P.S. I may have what you looking for.....get in touch!

• Like 1

As Andrea says, the carbon ceramic brakes would scare me off, due to potential replacement costs, I may be wrong, do they last a lot longer/have any problems with them?

I know it has a lot of options, but thats all the money for it. I would think more like £21k?

Edited by GlosRich
  • Like 1

@Andrea Frasky is right, thats a nice spec car. Although starnge seeing the Cayman R door pulls on it, not seen that on an S before. If the ceramic brakes have been replaced recently then you are on to a winner, the disks last a very long time. Working out how worn they are is a little more tricky, they usually have a wear indicator which is more of a guide than anything else. To be sure of how much life they have left they need to be weighed. They will have a minimum weight stamped on them. If you haven't experienced ceramic brakes before they really are very impressive. Especially on the under braked 987.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

You can buy the door pulls from Rennline for the pricely sum of $665......bargain not.

http://www.rennline.com/RS-Door-Pull-Strap-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/DH-DSK/2015

Actually there is a guy in america who 3D prints them for £190....everyone buys them from him lol 

1 hour ago, Andrea Frasky said:

Actually there is a guy in america who 3D prints them for £190....everyone buys them from him lol 

Do you have a link for that?

16 hours ago, GlosRich said:

Do you have a link for that?

This is the email:  jj33low@hotmail.com  

Let me find his name on Facebook but if not just send him an email really. 

• Like 1

I contacted the private seller about the Guards Red car before he sold it recently.  He retro fitted the R style door pulls and had already sold the original carbon bucket seats separately.  Not sure what they sold for but I found a thread on a forum from around the end of last year and he was askng £5k iirc.  He was asking about £21k for the car so I'm not convinced selling the seats separately was a smart move as the standard seats he'd fitted (not even Sports seats) were completely at odds with the rest of the spec.

Thanks for this.

Did you find out if he had used it for track days. The spec makes me think the guy either had loads of cash to burn or was using it for track days.

Marc

I reckon its probably been tracked with that spec and the carbon brakes. If you were going to buy it, would be worth getting the rev limit data report, to see how hard it has been thrashed.

Bit maverick of him to sell the original seats, spoils the car, but makes him lots of cash. But I guess when the seats are worth almost a quarter of the value of the car its tempting.

17 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

I reckon its probably been tracked with that spec and the carbon brakes. If you were going to buy it, would be worth getting the rev limit data report, to see how hard it has been thrashed.

Bit maverick of him to sell the original seats, spoils the car, but makes him lots of cash. But I guess when the seats are worth almost a quarter of the value of the car its tempting.

Seats are worth roughly £3.5K and I'm sure he lost more than that in trading in the car for cash. Plus he had to buy a set of base seats.....not sure he made any money actually.....

1 hour ago, Andrea Frasky said:

Seats are worth roughly £3.5K and I'm sure he lost more than that in trading in the car for cash. Plus he had to buy a set of base seats.....not sure he made any money actually.....

Interesting, I think I almost ended up buying these seats a few months ago. They sold for 4.5K as a straight sale. I was hoping to swap my super sports seats plus 3K his way, but he had already sourced a set of seats. 

@Andrea Frasky I think you right, at that sort of sale price I'm not sure it would have been benficial to put base seats in it. 

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Interesting, I think I almost ended up buying these seats a few months ago. They sold for 4.5K as a straight sale. I was hoping to swap my super sports seats plus 3K his way, but he had already sourced a set of seats. 

@Andrea Frasky I think you right, at that sort of sale price I'm not sure it would have been benficial to put base seats in it. 

Sometimes they do sell for £4K or over yes, but it's rare tho. Anyway.....we love our Recaro/Sparco don't we?!