Clutch failure?

Windymiller

987.2 manual. 

Clutch pedal feel suddenly went light, biting point in 1st gear from a standing start is now very high, and the clutch seems to ‘drop in’ to engagement, rather than progressively ‘take up’ engagement. 

Ive never had a clutch ‘go’ on me / experience clutch failure, so I’ve no experience of what it actually feels like / what happens. 

CP4L have a Sachs clutch kit @ £357 in their current sale, which seems reasonable. 

Is that a decent OEM replacement? I don’t want to fit a shonky ‘made of chocolate’ generic part, but not do I want to get fleeced by an OPC for an OE part that’s just the same part, but twice the price in a Porsche box (a la Textar pads, etc...). 😏🤨

Whats a sensible labour time for replacement - 2/3 hrs?

i think I’ll use DS Automotive in Aylesbury as they’re the nearest Porsche Indy to me (and I’ve wanted to try them out for a while). 🤔

• Sad 1

Oh dear 😞

I've had two (Non Porsche) clutches 'go'. One friction plate semi / fully-disintegrated many years ago whilst on the move - and i couldn't engage any gears at all and was 'stranded'. The other started to break up on my daily a year or so ago; and clutch was juddering trying to crawl / pull away, not smooth at all and engaging gears was becoming more difficult.

Can't comment on Sachs clutch-kit quality. But there's quite a few Sachs 'kits' much lower-priced than that on ebay having just looked..... ??

Just for my own knowledge; i'm also interested in labour time for fitting.

Good luck !

Edited by sevenfourate

Cheers 748 👍🏻

Design911 has the Sachs kit for £306, which is better priced. 

Ive found a few of the Indy garages with clutch replacements advertised between £600-800 ‘all in’ (parts, fitting, VAT). So I’m guesstimating 3 hrs of labour. The exhaust needs to come off to get to the clutch. 😳

as ever once you start digging you find out more info, and some folks recommend dual mass flywheel replacement at the same time. So then the job starts to increase in cost... 🙄🤨

ill report back back once I get some definitive advice from the garage. 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Cheers 748 👍🏻

Design911 has the Sachs kit for £306, which is better priced. 

Ive found a few of the Indy garages with clutch replacements advertised between £600-800 ‘all in’ (parts, fitting, VAT). So I’m guesstimating 3 hrs of labour. The exhaust needs to come off to get to the clutch. 😳

as ever once you start digging you find out more info, and some folks recommend dual mass flywheel replacement at the same time. So then the job starts to increase in cost... 🙄🤨

ill report back back once I get some definitive advice from the garage. 🤔

I wouldn't want to do a clutch in 3 hours ! ?

A quick search shows these guys advertising some decent prices - IF its quality parts being used (?). Shows the possible pricing though; even if not local to you:

http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/upgrades/porsche-clutch-kit

Yup always the same isn't it. While i've got that apart i might aswell fit a new xxx / replace the xxx; or it would be prudent to do xxx...... 

**Mine was due a brake fluid change Friday. I'd also got new wheels bolts to fit. Thought may aswell replace discs whilst there as were semi-scored and would save labour doing then not later. Thats means new pads too of course, that means might aswell also adjust handbrake while in there etc etc. Never quite the price you see in our head initially is it !

Thanks again 748 for revolution Porsche link. I’d seen that too, and I’ve read lots of good reviews of them previously. Bit far from me though.

Cheers Dougle. 👍🏻

Think I’ll budget £800 - any less and I’m ‘up’, if it’s a bit more then it’s ‘only a bit..’ 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hutch259 said:

Car parts4less have the Sachs clutch kit for £223 for a Gen 2

hope this helps as I think mine might need doing soon, cheers Paul

Thanks Paul,

when I look on CP4L the Sachs clutch kit comes up at £430 (- 17% discount) = £357. 

I can’t find it at £223... 😕

Cheers, Jason

I had a quick look, that price was for the 3.2l and smaller unfortunately.....but they did have a Sachs kit which with discount code payday made it £239.79, so you're in!

Seems to be a few options under the £300 mark on a Google search, check out ECP and some of the regular haunts too in case they have similar deals. 

Let me know what they say about the DMF too....I suspect my own clutch is not that far off its own retirement date....

Dropped the car at DS Automotive (Aylesbury) yesterday, they’ve called me today. 

Clutch replacmenet necessary @ £875 ‘all in’ (supply, fit, VAT). It’s the ‘same as OE’ Sachs clutch kit that they buy in for ~£320  (so similar to CP4L & design911 prices). Which means labour is ~£550 😳, which must be ~6hrs labour 🤔

They will check the DMF for condition and ‘play’. If the DMF needs replacing then it’s another £925 for a genuine Porsche part. 😱

Fingers crossed the DMF is ok... 🤞

3 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Dropped the car at DS Automotive (Aylesbury) yesterday, they’ve called me today. 

Clutch replacmenet necessary @ £875 ‘all in’ (supply, fit, VAT). It’s the ‘same as OE’ Sachs clutch kit that they buy in for ~£320  (so similar to CP4L & design911 prices). Which means labour is ~£550 😳, which must be ~6hrs labour 🤔

They will check the DMF for condition and ‘play’. If the DMF needs replacing then it’s another £925 for a genuine Porsche part. 😱

Fingers crossed the DMF is ok... 🤞

Fingers crossed, mine had a little bit of wear but was fine not to replace and that was at around 73K original clutch and DMF.

6 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Also don't forget there are other consumables like oil etc.

Aye, but as hes quoted an ‘all in’ price that includes fluids / replacement seals etc. 👍🏻

Jason, my bet is your pressure plate has cracked.  This happened on one of our Gen 1 Caymans a couple of years ago, causing exactly the symptoms you describe. 

When I replaced the clutch and DMF myself on our other car a few years before, I used the Sachs clutch kit and found it was exactly the same (i.e. all the same Sachs markings and part numbers) as the original factory fitted clutch I removed.

Second time around, I got our local OPC to do it due to the nightmare I had dealing with the exhaust studs on the other car.  They fitted the aftermarket Sachs clutch I supplied, as they accepted it was OEM.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Aye, but as hes quoted an ‘all in’ price that includes fluids / replacement seals etc. 👍🏻

I meant that the labour is probably a bit less than you think because of the consumables etc.

23 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

Jason, my bet is your pressure plate has cracked.  This happened on one of our Gen 1 Caymans a couple of years ago, causing exactly the symptoms you describe. 

You were spot on Woodhouse. 

Some of the The sprung ‘fingers’ on the pressure plate had cracked so the plate was not applying it’s full pressure to the clutch disc, hence the very light feel to the clutch and ‘binary’ engagement, and judder/slip when pulling away from a standing start. 

The clutch disc itself was not too bad. But as the whole thing was opened up he’s replaced the entire clutch assembly (disc, plate, thrust bearing). 

And the DMF was close to its limits of ‘wear’ (I believe you can gauge its life by assessing the degree of ‘twist’/deflection available between the inner and outer parts of it 🤔), so that been replaced too. 

All for the princely sum of £1847 - eeep 😯

its the DFM that’s the rudely expensive item, and I’ve not found anywhere selling it <£900. 

Its a LUK part, and you can find LUK flywheels for any other car for between £200-£400 online, but no Cayman ones. 🤨🙁

Oh well - ‘perks’ of Porsche / sports car ownership. It’s never going to be cheap... 😳😏

She should be good for a wee while now at least (though winter hibernation job is already looking like replacing front coolant pipes and hoses as theyre beginning to weep more now - it’s never ending... 🙄😉🤪)

• Like 1