GAN GA+ Remap - Anyone tried it?

Hi guys, new to the club. I just bought a Cayman 987.1 2.7L and I'm looking into some simple mods. One thing that springs to mind is a remap and I came across this on design911: https://www.design911.com/Porsche-GAN-GAand-Tuning-Module/prod141925/

According to the GAN website, it's good for an additional 32bhp (https://www.gantuning.com/chiptuning/porsche/boxster-987-2004-11/2-7i-265hp/). I'm a little skeptical as it's an NA car and it seems far too good to be true.

Would be great to see if anyone had any experience with this product.

Thanks and looking forward to contributing more to the club.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, a few of us have gone this route....a few strings were posted recently, some sparking some interesting debate! As a general rule of thumb, NA engines rarely see more than say a 10% jump in power, and normally people would improve the way the car " breathes" beforehand (eg exhaust system mod, air filter). As for  "plug and play" systems, can't say I've heard of this one, and it seems very competitively priced...possibly too much so? There are respected re-mapper's across the UK (I used DMS as an example), and some well known "plug in" systems too out there....but they cost more. Depending on what you're looking for re doing some mods, it could be worth spending the money on some advanced driver instruction of some sort.....many of us here have done similar, and would agree it's the best "bang for your buck" if driving faster/better/safer is your goal.

• 9 months later...

Can't find a single review online, Youtube or anywhere (?) That's not to say it won't be ok.  Although it appears they aren't well known well used or tried and trusted so to speak. And awful (Lean) fueling etc is a big risk on a car with a near 10k engine rebuild cost. *** 32bhp does sound ever so slightly optimistic too imo.....😆

Personally i'd avoid and use someone a little more 'known'.

Good luck and let us know......

• Like 1

I always think if you want more power, buy a more powerful car, but I can see the attraction of these devices, more power for less than buying a more powerful car!

Does make you wonder how much it stresses the engine, especially on an older car.

Cayman S isnt usually a lot more than a Cayman, you may have to go a year older or a bit more mileage.

Im sure they all use the same basic principles and to be honest i bet they all get similar results.

Its the reputable website that is offering it that shocked me most and thats why Im finding it so tempting.

7 hours ago, Craig Bradley said:

I'm sure they all use the same basic principles and to be honest i bet they all get similar results.

....which is why 'most' discerning owners thinking of this would usually have a custom Remap done on a rolling road or even live-mapped; and one created specifically for their car and how it runs, not a Generic map / plug-in unit which tells your car how its going to run.

TBH: you can get custom Remaps done for not a whole lot more than the price of that plug-in OBD 'dongle' these days. Worth considering (?)

19 hours ago, GlosRich said:

I always think if you want more power, buy a more powerful car, but I can see the attraction of these devices, more power for less than buying a more powerful car!

Does make you wonder how much it stresses the engine, especially on an older car.

I don't wholly buy into this Rich; but entirely agree its some consideration. You could even argue it's worth thinking about more -  on a older, N/A, high-revving Porsche (Where much of the gains are often at the top-end of the rev-range). But; on the flip-side most cars are effectively de-tuned / have timing or ignition retarded to allow for poor servicing, poor fuel being used and driven 'badly' in less than ideal conditions.

If you're prepared to over service (Or at least service as per the schedule as a minimum), maintain well and use high octane fuel - you're effectively getting back those manufacture allowances to some degree. And the gains aren't usually huge in terms of N/A engines.... 8.5% on my Cayman Remap - if you believe the figures. (And that's a another story altogether !) Compared to say the 30% increase on a Turbocharged Mercedes that my Father saw from the same Mapper..........

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 15/05/2020 at 12:03, GlosRich said:

Cayman S isnt usually a lot more than a Cayman, you may have to go a year older or a bit more mileage.

You do realise people actually like working on their cars and modifying them. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a gen 1 Cayman S unless it had a fully modified crank case and fresh rebuild. Comments like this on forums are just unwanted and make us all think one thing of the publisher. 🍆

6 hours ago, trialsstar3 said:

You do realise people actually like working on their cars and modifying them. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a gen 1 Cayman S unless it had a fully modified crank case and fresh rebuild. Comments like this on forums are just unwanted and make us all think one thing of the publisher. 🍆

Rich's post was from more than 2 years ago...  Holy thread revival, Batman!