Cayman R - 718 GTS

Sam@IoM

Hi, 

Has anyone gone from a Cayman R to a 718 Cayman GTS? Or have experience of both? 

I love my R, the chassis and engine are marvelous and I like the rarity but it does have some drawbacks. Mainly I can't fully disengage the PSM to enjoy the LSD, brakes are crap on track and the only phone connectivity is a 3mm jack. 

The GTS seemingly has an equally good Chassis (bar the steering) and far better infotainment. The engine performance is mighty impressive albeit the noise but I'm unsure on the following;

Are the Brakes any better on track?

Can PSM be fully disengaged? 

Is a GTS rewarding to own? Far more capable as a daily driver.

I'd be looking at an Approved Used GTS rather than built to order. 

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

I don't have any experience of a GTS, but the brakes can certainly be improved with not much effort. I'm still working on a proper PSM kill switch (I will not defeat me!). No clever suggestions on the infotainment front.

• Like 1

I drove a 718 S before my R and got the R.  A turbocharged Porsche just isn't the same, even if it's faster.  These cars aren't about speed - it's about engagement, the melding of man and machine.

The GTS may be a better contender but you can never hide that an engine is using forced induction rather than being naturally aspirated.

• Like 1

Have a read of this Sam, written last year. 

Agree with Dougle - there’s plenty you could do with the 987 brakes to improve them (braided hoses, fresh high quality racing brake fluid, slotted / bigger / floating discs, GT3 master cylinder). 

But its horses for courses - you gotta drive whichever makes you happiest 🏎👍🏻😁

or why not wait for the rumoured / alleged GTS-6 and a return to a glorious flat-6 world in which one can seemingly have their cake 🎂, and indeed eat it 🍰... 😉

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

Thanks @Windymiller that’s a good read. Do you remember if the PSM would fully disengage? 

@Dougle_turboI’m running Giro discs, Pagid pads and GT3 cooling which works great on track but are fairly noisy on the road and void any Porsche extended warranty. 

@Aaron I don’t mind a turbo motor in a Porsche albeit a Cayenne. I’m yet to try their force induced sports cars. 

Hi Sam, to be honest I wouldn’t know if it was totally off or not - my competence / capability isn’t anywhere near that ‘expert’. 

I do recall with PSM on, it was hard to lose the car on the skid pan and low friction surface. With it off I was spinning like a top. 🥴🤪

• 2 weeks later...

So to scratch an itch I've booked to test drive a 718 Cayman GTS and an M2 Competition. From my many google searches it appears all Porsche have some form of TC intervention even when everything is 'Off' apart from GT products with the separate ESP & TC buttons :(

• 2 months later...

The 2.5 gts has just taken a big hit in price with the new 4 litre gts no being made.

Could be a good buy now, but it wont be very sort after in years to come and i feel for owners that have the 2.5