987.2 Rear Speaker

Cito

Hi,

I was thinking to add the rear speaker to my Cayman base.

I guess there are no speakers at the back of the car but I was wondering if somebody have ever done it.

I am hoping that at least the wiring is in place?

Cheers,

Andrea

3 hours ago, Cito said:

Hi,

I was thinking to add the rear speaker to my Cayman base.

I guess there are no speakers at the back of the car but I was wondering if somebody have ever done it.

I am hoping that at least the wiring is in place?

Cheers,

Andrea

Seen this exact post a few times. My base has rear speakers....I’ve seen others that do to. But also many (more) that don’t.....

Mine had an amplifier repair / replacement at some time. So whether someone ‘upgraded’ the system a little at the time and added rear speakers; or if they were specced from new I can’t tell you !

Interested in any input on your question though 😎

16 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Seen this exact post a few times. My base has rear speakers....I’ve seen others that do to. But also many (more) that don’t.....

Mine had an amplifier repair / replacement at some time. So whether someone ‘upgraded’ the system a little at the time and added rear speakers; or if they were specced from new I can’t tell you !

Interested in any input on your question though 😎

Ah! Where did you find the posts? I did have a quick look but I did not find it

I thought the base had 6 speakers as standard, 2 in the dash, 2 in the doors and 2 in the back (those round grilles by the silver engine cover panel)?

Could you fade the sound on the stereo to the back and see if any sound is coming out?

6 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

I thought the base had 6 speakers as standard, 2 in the dash, 2 in the doors and 2 in the back (those round grilles by the silver engine cover panel)?

Could you fade the sound on the stereo to the back and see if any sound is coming out?

Exactly, I did try but I don't have the choice in the HU. I can only fade left/right.

What I am hoping is that at least I've got the cables to the rear ...I have not tried to open the grills yet

My Cayman S originally had the bog standard CDR-24 without amp or Bose or rear speakers & just the pony paper ASK door mids & dash tweeters.

When I fitted a Pioneer head unit I also upgraded the door/dash speakers to Infinity components & I fitted Pioneer 4" 3 way speakers in the rear suspension turret positions... I had to run new O2 free speaker cabling from the HU.

TBH, the 4" rear speakers aren't big enough (really need to be 6 1/2" imo) as they distort at reasonably high volume compared to the front speakers! I have considered fettling the engine cover to fit 6 1/2"

I also added a Kenwood 150w active sub behind the pass seat.

... Julian

Edited by Mavrik

9 hours ago, Mavrik said:

My Cayman S originally had the bog standard CDR-24 without amp or Bose or rear speakers & just the pony paper ASK door mids & dash tweeters.

When I fitted a Pioneer head unit I also upgraded the door/dash speakers to Infinity components & I fitted Pioneer 4" 3 way speakers in the rear suspension turret positions... I had to run new O2 free speaker cabling from the HU.

TBH, the 4" rear speakers aren't big enough (really need to be 6 1/2" imo) as they distort at reasonably high volume compared to the front speakers! I have considered fettling the engine cover to fit 6 1/2"

I also added a Kenwood 150w active sub behind the pass seat.

... Julian

Thank you julian,

it is exactly what I thought...

Did you do the fitting by yourselves?

Did you do some research for the engine cover to fit the 6 1/2 speakers? Is it on the market?

Cheers,

Andrea

On 21/01/2020 at 08:32, Cito said:

Thank you julian,

it is exactly what I thought...

Did you do the fitting by yourselves?

Did you do some research for the engine cover to fit the 6 1/2 speakers? Is it on the market?

Cheers,

Andrea

================

@Cito

Yes, I do all my own ICE & mechanics! ... Fiddly & time consuming but worth it.

I'm looking at buying a spare engine cover carpet thingy & then fitting low profile 6x9 Infinity Kappa 😅

• Like 1

Erm, forgive the question but why do you want to fit rear speakers? 

There are few circumstances in real life when you would choose to listen to music playing behind you; at a concert (big or small) you will face the stage, if listening to a solo musician then you will probably look at them. You probably want to recreate this in your car, so putting a sound source behind you seems a bit unusual. 

Personally I'd put your money into better front speakers and a small amplifier. Although others will think otherwise, for sure. 

1 minute ago, zcacogp said:

There are few circumstances in real life when you would choose to listen to music playing behind you; at a concert (big or small) you will face the stage, if listening to a solo musician then you will probably look at them. You probably want to recreate this in your car, so putting a sound source behind you seems a bit unusual. 

Personally I'd put your money into better front speakers and a small amplifier. Although others will think otherwise, for sure. 

well, because if you are surrounded by the sound is better than havng the sound coming only from one side.

At a concert you face the stage but the pseaker are all around you, not only on the stage. And if they are only on the stage, you can appreciate the difference...

Cito, 

That depends entirely upon the concert, but most of them that I have been to have the sound sources largely in front of you. Which is quite similar to the set up in the car; with the speakers in the doors the sound source is mainly in front of you. 

Opinions on this differ - there's no hard and fast rules. (Well there is a hard and fast rule; don't put in an audio system you don't like!) Each to their own, but putting the money you would otherwise spend on the rear speakers and the wiring to make them work could perhaps be better spent on some better front speakers which would have the added bonus of putting the 'sound stage' just in front of you rather than behind you. 

On 27/01/2020 at 17:32, zcacogp said:

--------------''

So why did they bother fitting more speakers with the Bose system?!? ... Cos it sounds better 🙄

My Jag had Harmon Kardon with multiple speakers because the "sound stage" is better 😊

@Cito

I've now fitted my Infinity Reference 6x9 (100w RMS) 3 way speakers into the rear engine carpet cover... The Kappa series I originally wanted to fit is just way too expensive at the mo 😏

I bought a spare one from 9apart so I have the original uncut one if I decide to go back to stock.

Have to say the sound staging is vastly improved! 😃

I'll post some pics up when I've completely finished it... I recognise that a lot of purist folk will not like to see 6x9's through the rear hatch glass but I plan to get the hatch & rear quarter glass tinted in the Summer! 😎

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

--------------''

So why did they bother fitting more speakers with the Bose system?!? ... Cos it sounds better 🙄

At a wild guess they fitted more speakers because it allowed them to charge more money for it! An aside, but I would take care of looking at decisions made by major manufacturers and holding them up as examples of good practice. Why did Porsche make flat-6 engines with designs that led to scored bores? Why did Decca say 'No' to the Beatles? Anyone want to show some love for Windows Vista? Anyone at all? And that's before we start to debate whether the Bose system in the 987 was actually any good or not - I've yet to hear anyone say anything good about it other than that it was not as rubbish as the boggo-basic standard install.

Walk along the lines of SQ (Sound Quality) entrants at a car audio competition and you'll be very hard pressed to find a speaker behind a B-pillar. However, as I said, opinions will differ and if you like a particular choice then it's a good choice. Please do post up pictures of your 6x9's on the rear shelf of your 987 as I am curious to see how you've done it. And if it sounds good then great - I'm very happy for you! 

9 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@Cito

I've now fitted my Infinity Reference 6x9 (100w RMS) 3 way speakers into the rear engine carpet cover... The Kappa series I originally wanted to fit is just way too expensive at the mo 😏

I bought a spare one from 9apart so I have the original uncut one if I decide to go back to stock.

Have to say the sound staging is vastly improved! 😃

I'll post some pics up when I've completely finished it... I recognise that a lot of purist folk will not like to see 6x9's through the rear hatch glass but I plan to get the hatch & rear quarter glass tinted in the Summer! 😎

Thank you Julian,

I immagine it is improved! We are not speaking in absolute, but I guess it is a step forward.

I mean, it is lke when you fade left/righ channel...you can appreciate the sound is not balanced. Why should not be the same if you fade front and rear?

I don''t want to say that is going to be perfet (it will never be), but should improve.

Anyway, well done!

I was thinking to attempt to do that on my own, but I think it is going to be hard...

I will have a look if there is some videos which explain it...

I can't wait for the pics!

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but as I am currently doing some suspension work on my Cayman (Bilstein B8s and Cayman R springs) and have had to remove much of the interior trim, I figures I may as well replace the rear speakers whilst everything was out (my base 987 did come with the rear speakers).

I haven't bought aftermarket speakers since I was 17 so was after some recommendations which would fit directly into the current slots.

I'm not looking to spend a huge amount (I rarely if ever listen to music in the Cayman) so something decent but not "pro quality" would be fine. My car already has a fancy headunit (fitted by the previous owner) so hopefully new speakers will be worthwhile.

@Lennym1984

You have a 987.1 ?

The original 4" speakers are way too small imo... I originally fitted decent 4" Pioneer 2 way co-axial speakers into the suspension turret positions & at reasonably high volume they distorted compared to my front Infinity components!

That's why I decided to (controversially) fit decent Infinity Reference 6x9's into the engine cover carpet cover thingy (still have the original to revert back if I want to) ... Not to everyone's "purist" taste, I recognise, but the sound staging is vastly improved 😃

If you decide to fit 4" upgrades Infinity, Polk, Focal or Hertz are decent (you'll probably find you'll have to fade more to the fronts however!)

20200419_115649r.jpg

These will drop straight in ... https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-focal-car-audio-100ac_p-32024.htm

Edited by Mavrik

That's great thanks! To be honest I won't be listening that loud anyway, it's more just that the current system is a bit crap so whilst everything is out, I figured that it would be a good time to change it... And yes it's a 987.1.

Just now, Mavrik

@Lennym1984

You have a 987.1 ?

The original 4" speakers are way too small imo... I originally fitted decent 4" Pioneer 2 way co-axial speakers into the suspension turret positions & at reasonably high volume they distorted compared to my front Infinity components!

That's why I decided to (controversially) fit decent Infinity Reference 6x9's into the engine cover carpet cover thingy (still have the original to revert back if I want to) ... Not to everyone's "purist" taste, I recognise, but the sound staging is vastly improved 😃

If you decide to fit 4" upgrades Infinity, Polk, Focal or Hertz are decent (you'll probably find you'll have to fade more to the fronts however!)

20200419_115649r.jpg

These will drop straight in ... https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-focal-car-audio-100ac_p-32024.htm

I’m surprised you managed to fit those 6x9 speakers like that without cutting a hole in the engine cover itself.