Fitting new engine / transmission mounts in a 987.2

Do the coolant hoses require removal for fitting a new engine mount in a 987.2 (2.9)?

I know they do for the first gen but wondered if it applied with the newer engine.

And for the transmission mounts, I hear that I can use 997 or 993 engine mounts?

Does anyone know where to get these for a good price in the UK?

Thanks!

Are the engine mounts that worn, how old is the car? Not sure the engine mounts matter as much in a Cayman as they do in a 911 rear engine.

The engine mounts do make a surprising difference if they are knackered. You'll get a lot of driveline shunt and just general looseness.

I don't know about fitting them to a 987.2 but for a 987.1 you don't need to remove the coolant hoses, you can just kind of push them out of the way a bit. It's really not a difficult job.

Assuming the transmission mounts are the same on a 987.2, you can use 964/993 RS engine mounts for a nice upgrade. You can buy URO branded parts for about a quarter of what the OEM ones would cost - Once you have seen how simple they are, you won't be concerned about the fact that they are aftermarket.

It's a 2010 with 96k miles. I haven't checked them yet, but having driven one other Cayman mine certainly feels a little 'looser', and it feels like there is a bit more of a clunk when changing gears than there should be. I'm not sure, something I need to look at but it seems that replacing these could help.

Great to know that a bit of bending should be enough to get the mount out!

I was planning on getting a powerflex bush for the front engine mount, it seems these need a pretty hefty press to get them in though!

Thanks for the tips on the other named parts.

Any idea if there is a 'test' to check the mounts? Can I try and give the engine a 'wobble' with a metal bar?

It's personal choice but the powerflex front mounts might be a bit much for a street car. I'd go for stock front mount and stiffer (not solid) gearbox mounts. 

I've no idea about how to test them but it's cheap enough and easy enough to just replace them. I'd probably start with just the front mount and see how that feels. 

In terms of general "looseness" it might be your suspension/suspension bushes that are getting tired

Oh and I am current custodian of an engine mount drift if you need it? It belongs to the boxa forum but if you register there I can pass the baton

So powerflex do road and 'black' series, I assumed the regular road series would be comparable to a stock one?

They also do the bush insert which as I understand is an optional extra to the regular bush, and would stiffen their stock bush UK further (which I wouldn't require)?

There doesn't seem to be any excess movement in the suspension, so hopefully that's ok for now.

Sorry, what do you mean by an engine mount drift? Assuming you mean a part that fits on the new bush for when pressing it into the housing? Many thanks for the offer, I'm also on boxa :)

I would guess that it was stiffer than stock (even the road series). It might be fine but it'll be hassle if you don't like it (added nvh). I do a few track days and have never found the stock engine mount to be lacking (I haven't replaced the one in my Cayman yet but did on my boxster).

A drift is a specific tool for pushing a bushing in. You can buy the 987 bushings for about 30 quid but you'll need to press them into the bracket... This is where a drift comes in useful. 

3 hours ago, Joe Spicer said:

So powerflex do road and 'black' series, I assumed the regular road series would be comparable to a stock one?

They also do the bush insert which as I understand is an optional extra to the regular bush, and would stiffen their stock bush UK further (which I wouldn't require)?

There doesn't seem to be any excess movement in the suspension, so hopefully that's ok for now.

Sorry, what do you mean by an engine mount drift? Assuming you mean a part that fits on the new bush for when pressing it into the housing? Many thanks for the offer, I'm also on boxa :)

I can’t vouch for them reference Cayman specific application. But: Yellow (Road series) Powerflex bushes are a step up firmness wise compared to stock parts. 

The Black are generally pretty damned firm indeed - and more akin for Track use.....

Good luck !

Great to know, I'll stick with a stock one then.

I've changed millions bearings on bikes over the years but always just referred to them as bearing presses 😅I will message you when it's time to get round to this job and take you up on the offer of the drift.

Do you know if I'm likely to be able to succeed with a regular engineers bench vice, or will I need to find a hydraulic press?

Just to confirm...

These will should do for the transmission:

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod133853/Engine-Mount-Kit---HD-RS-version-Porsche-964-RS---993-RS/?showtax=true&imt=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHVuEAEd_XsIX4hCjt9UgngWr_fVwMm6252vFR2HzKBpTVX3kBHG2qUaAg3sEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=uk+shopping&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=

Along with the other fitting bits:

2x Bolts for RS Mounts: 900-082-030-02
4x Engine mount washers: 901-305-311-00
4x Washer (12.4 x 34 x 5 mm): 999-025-074-01
4x Washer (8.4 x 21 x 3 mm): 999-025-134-02

I couldn't find a 987.2 specific OEM front mount from a quick google, but the 987.1 version should fit?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod143370/Engine-mount-bush-Porsche-986-Boxster-1997-04---987-Boxster--2005------987C-Cayman-2006--/?showtax=true&imt=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHVRERB6b3KhOHxAX3Mc9qZjxdcckugncXdwaDxFJu4ta1DrontdNz4aAkfuEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=uk+shopping&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=

And are new engine mount stops required?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod132834/Engine-Mount-Stop-Porsche-987-Boxster---987-Cayman/

I had a look under the car yesterday at the transmission mounts (I didn't bother with the undertray to inspect the engine mount).

To my untrained eye these look quite worn... theres a lot of play with a gentle wiggle of a crowbar and the rubber from the mounts seem to sit quite low/have been pushed out of the housing a bit. You can also see brown marks around the metal, which I understand is likely to be the damping fluid that has leaked out?

I would assume from the condition of these that the engine mount could do with replacing too!

Video of transmission mount play

IMG_20200307_173217.jpg

@Joe Spicer I've just replaced my engine and transmission mounts for RSS track spec ones so now have some knowledge of the process. My mounts looked quite similar to your picture and had similar levels of play. I couldn't tell exactly what was causing the brown marks, I assumed just usual corrosion. They didn't look too bad when removed, however they were clearly passed their best. 

Thanks guys, I've ordered the parts and will update when I've installed them in the next month or so!

Are new engine mount stops required or will I be OK to re-use the old ones?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod132834/Engine-Mount-Stop-Porsche-987-Boxster---987-Cayman/

Edited by Joe Spicer

• 9 months later...

Always sceptical about replacing engine mounts, as it's usually the first thing any US YouTube says 'replace the motor mounts' lol 🤣

Not sure a Gen2 is old enough to have really worn mounts.

But if you can feel a difference then great.

That brown is just the steel bracket rusting, the engine and gearbox get a lot of salt spray of the road so rust a lot. Keep them washed down, especially if you drive your car in winter.

Yeah, the engine mount was fine and didn't need replacing, but once you have it out to check you've done 90% of the work so might as well finish the job for peace of mind.

The transmission mounts however, were knackered. It's not so much about wear/perishing on these, but the factory uses fluid filled ones- after just a bit of perishing the fluid leaks and leaves them empty, with a lot of movement. 

Here's some of the wiggle in mine, which when you're looking in real life looks much more significant 😨

I expected the brackets to be rusty too, but they were actually OK. You can't really see from the video but the brown isn't rust (it's more like a staining of the colour), and is only visible directly under the old mounts, so I assume it's from them leaking. 

I got 993 engine mounts to replace my transmission mounts, which are solid rubber instead of fluid filled. I was having issues with the shifting before- having to try several times to get into gear sometimes, which has completely resolved. (Being solid rubber hasn't given any more NVH either, they're still rubber and absorb anything well).

• Like 1

I can't edit my previous post, but just saw a typo:

I said the 997 engine mount is the same as a 987 engine mount.

It was supposed to say: a 997 transmission mount is the same as a 987 engine mount.

(if you haven't figured out why.... 997 = engine at the back, gearbox in the middle. The 987 flips that, with the engine in the middle and gearbox at the back. But the mounts stay in the same place.

1x 997 engine mount (= same part as a 987 engine mount)
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts-porsche-997-2-2012-eu-997-c2s-cabrio-pdk-gearbox/clutch-gearbox-parts-115/gearbox-support-134/9a137505502-p250734-transmission-mounting-135-5339-250734?fbclid=IwAR1j7aIA24m-1E_iGwh4XTRTqr-xes9ItWuZb93n-Cg3sHSkaj-rg5BNTHQ

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Really good thread.

I'm due to change my engine and gearbox mounts and was confused with the parts.  This is a great reference thread.  I'm on a 2010 987.2S PDK standard brakes.

For the engine mounts, you had to replace the mount and the bracket?  

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts-porsche-997-2-2012-eu-997-c2s-cabrio-pdk-gearbox/clutch-gearbox-parts-115/gearbox-support-134/9a137505502-p250734-transmission-mounting-135-5339-250734?fbclid=IwAR1j7aIA24m-1E_iGwh4XTRTqr-xes9ItWuZb93n-Cg3sHSkaj-rg5BNTHQ

and 

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod135613/Engine-Suspension-Bracket-Porsche-987-MKII-Boxster---987-Cayman-MKII/

?

Did you reuse the old bolts, washers etc?  Same question for the gear box.

Thanks.

You don't need the mount and bracket.

Reuse the bracket, just get a shop with a hydraulic press to press the new mount in.

I reused the engine mount bolts etc, just use threadlock too.

My transmission mounts came with new bolts etc, although I think they needed trimming down a little