Anyone else started planning a return to track days?

jcm987

The last couple of weeks I received some of the best news for ages, track days are reopening this month! 

Specifically MSV and Castle Combe are opening under strict social distancing conditions that should make for an interesting day. 

I got a bit carried away and immediately booked Brands Hatch 4 June, Castle Combe 12 June followed by Snetterton. However the prices have sky rocketed. Starting at £259 for a mid week Brands Indy track day! 

Hi mate,

I'm booked in for an evening session on 2nd at Brands, Bedford day on the 6th, Snetterton on the 17th. Also have the Ring and Spa booked with CD for later in the year.

Nice one. I have just enough for one track day left on my MSC voucher so weighing up Snetterton or Donnington. Shame each one is 4+ hours away.

I see MSV are running a ‘how fast’ day on Saturday 6th August. 

I’ve done one previously, good fun. 
• 20 cars

• 1 hour of open pit lane to ‘learn the track’

• then 2 cars at a time out on track (with half lap separation between them) to do 3 laps (1 out + 2 ‘hot’ timed). 
• All cars ranked by fastest times

• £109

https://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2020/aug/8-ba-hf/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm thinking of going to Thruxton as its fairly close to me.

Has anyone done a Thruxton track day? I know its a fast circuit, heard its hard on tyres?

Is my first real track day, other than driving experience 3 lap things.

Unfortunately no instruction available in the car due to social distancing.

But there are instructors there to talk to free I've been told

@GlosRich Only £159 seems very cheap. I just paid more than £300 for Brands Hatch with garage + additional driver. Seeing as Thruxton is my local circuit I might have to book this as well. Also it's Father's Day on the 21st, so I could pretend the track day is a present. 

Just booked it! 

Edited by jcm987
  • Like 1

Cool, see you there. You can enjoy running rings around me, as its my first real go....lol

I've convinced myself its a father day present also!

Have you driven Thruxton before, any advice?

Rich

Edited by GlosRich

I'm in the process of finding my first track day. I will want tuition as its my first time too but have a racing driver on hold when we can do that. In for a major service on 22nd June too.

Also looking to move to a better insurance company, currently with DirectLine and single track day insurance coming in at like £150.

I'm in between Brands / Thruxton in East Sussex so will likely be either of these for first go round.

Yeah I did a few track day insurance quotes. Just for that one day they come out around £150, so I'll have to take the risk.

I'm going to take it easy anyway, as its my first go in the Cayman.

5 hours ago, GlosRich said:

Cool, see you there. You can enjoy running rings around me, as its my first real go....lol

I've convinced myself its a father day present also!

Have you driven Thruxton before, any advice?

Rich

My first time at Thruxton as well, but I have Brands Hatch this Thursday and Castle Combe the following Friday. So assuming the car survives, I might have to take it easy at Thruxton. 

My Dad used to race at Thruxton and had a big off, so I'm sure his advice will be take It easy and don't lift off mid corner. 

• Like 1

I forgot about the 90dB limit! No way I'm going to be under it. Hopefully with some short shifting I can sneak under. 

Edited by jcm987

1 hour ago, jcm987 said:

I forgot about the 90dB limit! No way I'm going to be under it. Hopefully with some short shifting I can sneak under. 

EXTREMELY short shifting!!😄

Manning Insurance policies include 10UK trackdays per year, so long as the event is organised and managed by a member of the ATDO (eg MSV, Javelin, etc). 

http://www.atdo.co.uk/atdo.php?pg=members&ls=all

With Manning your excess increases to 10% of vehicle value on a trackday. 

https://manninguk.com/automotive-insurance/automotive-porsche-car-insurance.php

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Manning Insurance policies include 10UK trackdays per year, so long as the event is organised and managed by a member of the ATDO (eg MSV, Javelin, etc). 

http://www.atdo.co.uk/atdo.php?pg=members&ls=all

With Manning your excess increases to 10% of vehicle value on a trackday. 

https://manninguk.com/automotive-insurance/automotive-porsche-car-insurance.php

Thanks I did fill out there form yesterday actually.