987.2: 2.9 vs 3.4 reliability

This thread has been done over and over again with the 987.1 3.4 vs 987.2 2.9, and we all know the answer to that, any 987.2 is more reliable than 987.1. I am wondering what the reliability difference would be between the Cayman S and the Cayman of the same generation (II). If I recall correctly, I saw someone say that the 3.4 has more reliability problems because a 3.4 really "pushes it" regarding the limited mid-engined air intake/cooling. Is he correct? What's your take on it?

I personally prioritize reliability much more than those extra horses and pounds, I owned an A6 Allroad 272 hp figured that a 2.9 265 hp in a lighter and more aerodynamical car would be more than enough to have fun with both on the road and on the tracks (like nurburgring, if you don't agree youtube "miata nurburgring"), though if the reliability is exactly the same I wouldn't say no either.

• Founder

Welcome! 

I don't think there is much difference in reliability at all between the 2.9 and 3.4 Gen II engines, the 3.4 certainly doesn't have any issues to speak of.  The cars themselves are fundamentally the same otherwise.  I'd say if you wan't a 3.4, then get one and don't look back! 

The only difference is the 3.4 is DFI direct injection, so there may be carbon build up issues, but I've not heard of any tbh.

The 2.9 is port injection. It's certainly rapid, depends what your used to though. Mid range could do with a bit more punch, a diesel BMW will leave you behind.

I guess the 3.4 has the extra punch.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

The only difference is the 3.4 is DFI direct injection, so there may be carbon build up issues, but I've not heard of any tbh.

The 2.9 is port injection. It's certainly rapid, depends what your used to though. Mid range could do with a bit more punch, a diesel BMW will leave you behind.

I guess the 3.4 has the extra punch.

this about covers it........i would just add the 2.9 is a poster child for the adage ......porsche over priced and under powered 

I wanted the S as it's more powerful. No evidence that I've sacrificed reliability for power. I've had the car almost 4 years and don't recall any discussion on any of the 3 Porsche forums I use about reliability comparisons between the 2 models.

Cheers,

Bryan

6 hours ago, GlosRich said:

The oldest ones are 11 years old now, so you would think we would hear about some 9A1 engine issues if there were any.

Shame the rest of the car isnt as good as the engine lol...

Coolant pipes, aircon condensors, worn bushes, gearchange cables etc...

add paint and interior to the list 

• 2 years later...

A Cayman 2.9 manual is the best Porsche money can buy. You have aa top notch reliable engine with a solid indestructible gearbox and no DFi. It's a no brainer. 70mph national speed limit. Its the best sports car ever built, bar none. No carbon build up £££. No PDK problems £££. No boy racer bitching about 3.4 being faster ( Your nicked ).

There is no opinion required. It's not about speed anymore, it's about the journey. Don't get caught up in the silly boys racing on YouTube. They are all fools ready to end up in big trouble.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 23:15, Mark Porsche said:

A Cayman 2.9 manual is the best Porsche money can buy. You have aa top notch reliable engine with a solid indestructible gearbox and no DFi. It's a no brainer. 70mph national speed limit. Its the best sports car ever built, bar none. No carbon build up £££. No PDK problems £££. No boy racer bitching about 3.4 being faster ( Your nicked ).

There is no opinion required. It's not about speed anymore, it's about the journey. Don't get caught up in the silly boys racing on YouTube. They are all fools ready to end up in big trouble.

Not everyone solely drives their car on public roads.  I would try to be more open minded.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been looking to change my 2.9 to a 3.4. I test drove a well set up one at 911 virgin which they kindly sold from under me. To be honest i didnt feel a massive difference in speed and preferred the delivery and sound of the 2.9. The 3.4 was no doubt torquier but felt flatter in its delivery.

I was ready to pull the trigger more for the fact that this one was well set up with nice options. DFI sound very ticky at idle which isnt nice. Will still keep an eye out but dont feel short changed with the 2.9 just a shame its too long geared like all caymans.

• Like 1

You often get people posting about carbon build up on the DFI engine, especially 2.9 owners. But do any of them know what's really entailed? 

Well, I do as I had a previous 3.4 DFI 987.2 Cayman I owned inlet cleaned (walnut blasting) in an attempt to fix a fault (turned out to be something else). Cost me £350. Even at double that money it would be no big deal given at most you'd have to do it every 75k miles or thereabouts. It simply isn't consequential.

So, I would argue those claiming the DFI carbon build up thing is a major issue in terms of money do not actually know what they are talking about and are mianly concerned with justifying their choice of a 2.9.

Otherwise, it's the same engine, so reliability is comparable.

As for performance, personally I think you can easily feel the extra 55PS of the 3.4. For my money, even the 3.4 isn't particularly quick and while none of these are cars you'd buy for the performance, you may as well get as much as you can given the added performance of the 3.4 comes with no downsides from a driving perspective.

Sometimes higher spec, more powerful models are a bit duller to drive due to spec changes. But the 2.9 and 3.4 are so close in spec bar the engine capacity and output, the drive is essentially identical bar the engine performance.

You can even put the dinky 17s from the 2.9 onto the 3.4 to make the latter into a really sweet roadcar.

• 2 months later...

Why would anyone want to buy a car with Dfi.

The Porsche Cayman 2.9 manual is the best Porsche money can buy.

When you see them YouTube guys in there 1000hp modied cars with their spirted 100yds silly laughs, it sends me into fits too. One day it'll all end in tears. And when I'm driving my 2.9 no Dfi - cruising - and everyone is looking at me SUPER COOL. just killing it at 60mph feeling cool as a cucumber. You lot will be worried about getting whooped by a modied piece of crappie Skyline, Subaru or Mitsubishi.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2023 at 13:54, Mark Porsche said:

Why would anyone want to buy a car with Dfi.

The Porsche Cayman 2.9 manual is the best Porsche money can buy.

When you see them YouTube guys in there 1000hp modied cars with their spirted 100yds silly laughs, it sends me into fits too. One day it'll all end in tears. And when I'm driving my 2.9 no Dfi - cruising - and everyone is looking at me SUPER COOL. just killing it at 60mph feeling cool as a cucumber. You lot will be worried about getting whooped by a modied piece of crappie Skyline, Subaru or Mitsubishi.

What colour is yours?