PCM 3 bluetooth query

Julian987

Hi

The telephone stuff all works fine, but is there a way that when my phone is paired with the PCM and I have a podcast on my phone that it can stream itself through the car hi-fi, ditto for the Google Maps voiceover on my phone..... I can't quite work out what buttons/settings to press.

Best regards

Julian

11 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Hi

The telephone stuff all works fine, but is there a way that when my phone is paired with the PCM and I have a podcast on my phone that it can stream itself through the car hi-fi, ditto for the Google Maps voiceover on my phone..... I can't quite work out what buttons/settings to press.

Best regards

Julian

Hey...

I was looking for the same however the PCM 3.0 in the 987.2 come with a Bluetooth telephone module only it doesn’t support sound/music. The only way is to buy a media adapter if you have the iPhone connection port in the armrest. 

I have Bose and don’t fancy the cost of switching out so I have a phone mount and iPod connector to allow music and sat nav from phone. 

Thank you both for your replies. Blimey i gets quite a pricey solution doesn't it. I might stick with my airpods for when I want to listen to podcasts then, but appreciate your guidance and will consider option 2 or 3.

One day they will produce a classic radio update like they have recently for the 996 and 986  - probably only a matter of time.

Cheers

J

• Founder

I went with the Tune2Air solution in mine, seemed to work pretty well.  But then I never bothered pairing the phone to the PCM for calls (the glitch existed before iPhone 11).  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mudplugga said:

Try this https://www.discountcarstereo.com/a2d-cdr30.html works great on my 987.2 s

Hi,

I like it! It seems very well worth it.

Does it work with spotify as well?

If you are listening to music and you receive e phone call, does it switch off?

I did try the AUX with the phone, but is so appaling...I have to keep the volume of the phone very high otherwise you simply cannot hear anything...is this better?

Cheers,

Andrea

• 3 months later...
On 07/09/2020 at 08:44, Frayz said:

Music doesnt stream via bluetooth on PCM3, only the phone connects for calls etc.

You need the OEM ipod adapter which has an apple 30 pin connector on it. You can either get a genuine apple 30pin/lightning adapter to attach to it or get a Bovee100/Tune2Air modle. These plug into the OEM Porsche 30 pin socket and will pair with your phone on vehicle entry. 

The Bovee will allow you to steam music, however there is currently a glitch on the iphone 11/11pro whereby the music stutters if the phone is connected to both the PCM and Bovee via bluetooth at the same time, to fix this, tell the phone to forget the PCM3.

So your options are:

• Apple carply retrofit
  • OEM Porsche ipod lead and genuine apple 30pin/lightnigh adapter
  • OEM Porsche ipod lead and Bovee1000/Tune2Air dongle (requires bluetooth to PCM3 switching off if on iphone 11/11pro)
  • Rip out the crap PCM and awful "Jack Sparrows compass" and sing :)

Hi

I have now got the Bovee1000 but I can't find for sale the OEM Porsche ipod lead for PCM 3...is it this?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod21580/Multimedia-Connecting-Cable-for-Porsche/

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/99761247102-p141157-connecting-cable-7l5971137c-99761247100-99761247101-P141157?devise=GBP&pays=GB

Do you know if Porsche sell them?

thanks

Julian

• 3 months later...

Hi Julian - did you get anywhere with this? I’ve just bought a gen 2 987s and would like to play music/podcasts from my iPhone. I don’t want to replace the entire unit and so was wondering if there is a wire I could buy?

2 hours ago, Sweepus said:

Hi Julian - did you get anywhere with this? I’ve just bought a gen 2 987s and would like to play music/podcasts from my iPhone. I don’t want to replace the entire unit and so was wondering if there is a wire I could buy?

hi, nope. I would love advice on my query above but to no avail. Cant work out what lead I need, the whole subject seems impossible to easily find a solution on. Hopefully we’ll get replies now you have kindly rebooted this thread.

thanks

On 18/03/2021 at 10:17, Sweepus said:

Just so I'm clear - are you looking for details of the cables you need to buy to play from a wired connection to your iPhone? That's what I have, so happy to dig out the details. The original topic was to use Bluetooth, so I'm not 100% certain what's now being asked.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Rather than the Bovee option, which is quite pricey and I also need to buy the cable, would this work if plugged into the Aux?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HP8B2ZM/A/twelve-south-airfly-pro-bluetooth-transmitter

if that aux pin is the correct size? it shows a pic of a car using it. might work yep?

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

Hi

Is this the cable needed?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod21580/Multimedia-Connecting-Cable-for-Porsche/

I ask as they list it for PCM 2

Still struggling to establish what this Y cable is

Yes. And a genuine apple 30pin to lightening adapater. I went non genuine and it doesn’t work. Genuine ones are an additional £25ish

9 minutes ago, 24057 said:

Yes. And a genuine apple 30pin to lightening adapater. I went non genuine and it doesn’t work. Genuine ones are an additional £25ish

Thanks for confirming! Oh I forgot about the lightening/30pin adapter! I have just realised I have left it in my 944 glove box that I sold last year! 

13 minutes ago, 24057 said:

Hang on, are you sure I need that adapter plus the Y cable and the Bovee? I thought just the Bovee and Y cable. May I ask where does the adaptor come into the mix then? 

On 08/06/2021 at 22:47, Julian987 said:

Hang on, are you sure I need that adapter plus the Y cable and the Bovee? I thought just the Bovee and Y cable. May I ask where does the adaptor come into the mix then? 

Sorry for slow reply. Only need bovee and Y cable is you want music via Bluetooth. I want it just via the cable to need the lightning to 30pin and not the bovee

47 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Got the Bovee up and running at long last! works great. That'll do me until Porsche bring out a new PCM retrofit unit.

Thanks for all those that have replied and supported me on this topic.

Best regards

Great! I still need a genuine Apple 30pin / lightening adapter, it refuses to work unless it’s genuine apparently.

also… I wonder how much the new OEM head unit will be , judging by 996 prices I’m not expecting much change out of £1800😬😬