New rear tyres

My 17” rear tyres need replacing soon.  Annoyingly continental dont make the n rated tyre to fit anymore.  Fronts are only a year old...

so either replace all 4 with a matched Goodyear or Michelin set

don’t like the idea of putting on different rears but interested if any has done it

or thinking of upgrading to 18s 

views.?

Is that Conti have dropped the size or ‘just’ that they are not available at the moment. — Said the chap looking for 17” Conti’s for the front.

What are the options, any views on Yokohama 105S tyres which appear in both front & rear sizes.

I'm in a similar position. 17s, Contis, rears need replacing. I am planning to move to the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on the rear and keep the Contis on the front for a while. I agree that this isn't ideal, but I would expect the Michelins to be stickier than the Contis, meaning that it's more prone to understeer. I have 12 year service and replacing both A/C condensers coming up in the spring, so having to make some compromises.

I have 18 inch wheels with N rated Michelin PS2 all round as well. A quick note on moving to the 18s on my 987.2 base - the ride at low speeds is noticeably worse on the 18s, though still acceptable. Steering feel is noticeably better on the 17s too due to its narrower section and lower weight. That being said, grip levels feel significantly higher on the 18s to me and gives much more of a 'locked down' feeling whereas the 17s give the car a lighter, 'on its toes' feeling. To me it seems that the 17s make the car more agile and much easier to invoke small slides in. For tyre choices, you can get Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but not Pilot Sport 4S for the 18s (both non N rated).

Really a matter of preference, having both is nice as you can try them and see what you prefer for your application. Currently I'm trialing the 17s on the road but will be switching to 18s for track work. I'm even considering 19s (carrera classics) for the wider tyre choices, including PS4S (non N rated).

Hope this is of some help!

It really depends how you use the car .........for the vast majority, mixing the tires will be fine . If its driven nice weather, weekends only ,look at me i am in a porsche ,leave the nice pleasant riding 17's . If you track or street race go R compound and 18's but you will pay the price ,wear ,bad weather limits and ride ..................

• Like 1

In answer my own question,

A reply from Customer Services at Continental Tyres

"With reference to your query regarding the ContiSportContact 3 we do not stock the two sizes below.  They have been discontinued and we do not have any replacements.

- 205/55 x 17 with a Porsche N2 rating

- 235/50 X 17 with a Porsche N2 rating"

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  A least I know that keeping looking out for continental rears is now is not going to bring results , just wish I had known that a year ago as would have decided then to swap all 4

Not doing any crazy top gear driving just spirited on occasion.

57 minutes ago, Andrew Godfrey said:

Thanks.  A least I know that keeping looking out for continental rears is now is not going to bring results , just wish I had known that a year ago as would have decided then to swap all 4

Not doing any crazy top gear driving just spirited on occasion.

mismatch them you will not die 

• Founder

It all depends on how you drive your car and what you expect from it in terms of performance. 

Mixing tyres of course can be done and is perfectly safe if you drive the car in a manner that justifies it.  If you drive the car to the limit quite regularly and rely on tyres keeping things in check when approaching the limit, then it’s advisable to not mix tyres.  

Michelin PS2 are a very old tyre now, it’s not really fair to compare them with anything that’s been developed in more recent years quite frankly.  

I’ve tried N rated PS2, Conti sport contact 5p n rated, and non n rated  pilot sport 4s and the 4S is by far the best performer of the three. I will however say the sidewalls are stiffer on the n rated tyres so give better initial feedback when darting left and right. I find the 4s are a little soft in the sidewall but outright grip is leaps ahead of the other tyres I had 

I’d never go back to n rated again now, it’s only really worth while to keep warranty etc 

Edit ... as stated if you press on you want the same tyres on both axels

Edited by SarlechS
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't worry too much about them being N rated, buy the best you can afford and take people advice from experience on the same car if possible. 

I've changed my daily to PS4s and I wouldn't changed to anything else now. 

This is worth a read if your unsure about being N rated.

• Thanks 1