Summer tyres

Looking at swapping my winters out for some summer tyres now in the standard 18" size 235/40/18 and 265/40/18.  I'm finding I can get a set of Mich Pilot Sport 4 in the front fitment but they don't make it in the rear fitment?  They have the Mich Pilot Super Sports in the rear fitment but not the front ! 🙄

What are people with standard rims and tyres running as summer tyres?

1 hour ago, C9YMAN said:

So standard OE Porsche tyre size for the rear is 265/40...so why would I run 40s on front and 35 on the back?

Didn't say you should, just helping with some options. 

Some searching on the internet will give you several choices. 

It looks like you can get the PS4 in 265/40 R18 too, but I have seen this inconsistently so not surprised that you haven't seen them straight away.

MyTyres - https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYpnTjgaw6mQwMEpjs67ovX4UarSFR3TvponriR-1CjRaESPwNFju00aAusIEALw_wcB&dsco=110&typ=R-367140&partner=1&partner=1&Country=UK&ID=sea_rd_uk_Froogle_Shopping&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYpnTjgaw6mQwMEpjs67ovX4UarSFR3TvponriR-1CjRaESPwNFju00aAusIEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!432!3!400317375299!!!u!301723587320!

I think camskill have had them but maybe not in stock currently as it doens't appear to be showing anymore: 

Camskill - https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s3715p188675/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4_PS4_-_265_40_R18_(101Y)_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

I've seen it listed variously as either an R18 or ZR18, which is why it might not come up in car specific searches. To my knowledge, the 'ZR' bit is the equivalent of the 'Y' speed rating (which they have), and as long as that is present it's my understanding that they're suitable.

PS4S are the s**t.  I have about 250 miles on them in my R and they are superior to the Eagle F1 in every way.  You will not regret them!

The biggest difference in day to day driving is the road noise - it was quite noticeable at first (louder than my Eagle F1s) but has really died down as they have broken in.

• Like 1

I still have no idea why most Porsche owners insist on running Mich tyres (PSS or PS4)

Imo, they are average at best on road & woeful if you decide to use them on track & over priced.

Imo, if you go to the trouble to swap to Winter tyres then fitting Summer tyres that stick makes sense to me?

The N rating is a complete red herring imo & purely a marketing ploy (cue the purists!)

I'm running Yokohama AD08R Advan Neova 245/40 & 265/40 & they are miles better in the dry & equally as good in the wet than the Mich PSS or PS4 that I had previously.

I also have a 350z GT HR 313 & that originally has Pirelli P Zero on which were dire & immediately sold on & the Yokos were fitted to that too (albeit 40/35 ratio)

Edited by Mavrik

Not PS4 - it has to be PS4S.  There's a huge difference between them.

I have had AD08R and they weren't great in the wet.  Well, by not great I meant they were utter garbage and that doesn't suit my needs.  They are very much a track day tyre.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

Not PS4 - it has to be PS4S. 

Yeah the difference between the PS4 and PS4S is very apparent. 

The PS4s will suit 99% of peoples driving requirements and will cope with light track use well, it isn't a track tyre afterall so can't really be compared to any that are. 

Unfortunately for the OP the PS4S isn't available for their 18 inch wheels (I'm in the same boat), so the Michelin choice is really between PS4 and N-rated PS2s if you want all 4 corners to match.

Or you could go more track focussed with the Yoko A052s which are also available in the right sizes.

Been posted many times before, but here's an in depth look at PS4 vs 4S (and cup 2):