Redlining on Track

What is the general consensus about revving all the way to redline on track (ie. doing it repeatedly)? Usually on track days I tend to shift up at around 6k RPM in order to preserve the engine. I'm doing track days for fun and so (historically) my logic has been that I am prepared to forego a few seconds per lap in return for treating the engine with a little sympathy.

Now that my times are getting better (I don't do live timing before anybody complains) and I'm able to carry more speed through the corners, I'm left looking at my acceleration phase as a way to improve. The obvious solution here is to accelerate harder and forego the short shifting.

The car is a Gen 1 2.7 with ~106k on the clock.

Finally, if the person on here with the Silver Cayman S at Bedford on Monday wants a shoddy video of their car going round the track (I followed you for about 3/4s of the circuit), I have one!

Gen 2, 2.9, 48K on the clock - watching my videos back I'm generally shifting in the 6.6k to 7k range.

I know that these engines have been run in race series with 8k redlines, so I'm pretty confident it can take it.

A 5th to 2nd money shift on the other hand is what I worry about most on track!

Perhaps I should have been clearer, I dont actually mean bouncing it off the limiter, I mean more, revving into the 6.5-7.2k range. Obviously the limiter is set to prevent the engine exploding (on rising revs) but the forces acting on a piston at the upper rev ranges can obviously accelerate wear/encourage failure.

On a typical track day, I generally shift at 6K for the morning, then when I feel like a quick lap in there afternoon, shift at 6.5K max. This approach seems to be working in terms of engine wear. 

Considering the car has such little power, but great handling. I have more fun focusing on late braking and fast cornering. 

5 minutes ago, jcm987 said:

On a typical track day, I generally shift at 6K for the morning, then when I feel like a quick lap in there afternoon, shift at 6.5K max. This approach seems to be working in terms of engine wear. 

Considering the car has such little power, but great handling. I have more fun focusing on late braking and fast cornering. 

Thanks. That is the approach and philosophy (brake later, carry more speed) that I tend to follow. I just wanted to check that I wasn't missing out by up shifting early

I can't add much to what Aaron said (other than to say that those piston speeds are quite low - where does that data come from?) Good oil, changed often, while keeping an eye on temperatures is by far your best option. 

Whoever said "At 107k I'd not hit the limiter unless I'm happy to have the consequences" doesn't seem to have much experience of the 2.7 987.1 engine. 

1 hour ago, zcacogp said:

I can't add much to what Aaron said (other than to say that those piston speeds are quite low - where does that data come from?) Good oil, changed often, while keeping an eye on temperatures is by far your best option. 

Whoever said "At 107k I'd not hit the limiter unless I'm happy to have the consequences" doesn't seem to have much experience of the 2.7 987.1 engine. 

Piston speed is calculated with stroke and RPM.  Pistons are generally rated for specific maximum and mean piston speeds.

Maximum and mean piston speed tolerances are a good indicator of an engine's general build quality and bulletproofing.

• Like 1