987.2 Water Pump - Pierburg Supplier

Anyone know where to source Pierburg water pump for a 987.2 in UK. Reading thread below, that appears to be the Porsche OE manufacturer.

Not seeing them listed for a gen 2 in my usual online spots... Frazerpart, Design911, Autodoc, EuroCarParts...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1162320-water-pump-recommendations.html

Edited by Andyoz

• Andyoz changed the title to 987.2 Water Pump - Pierburg Supplier

Oh dear, reading through that forum makes it sound like the water pump. Is yet another part that should be replaced every x years! Think I'll just wait until it fails - has yours gone or is it preventative? 

3 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Oh dear, reading through that forum makes it sound like the water pump. Is yet another part that should be replaced every x years! Think I'll just wait until it fails - has yours gone or is it preventative? 

I'd just replace it when it goes. It's not the end of the world and provided that you have recovery, you can just get the car recovered.

4 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Yes, light weeping from the bottom of the engine.  Leaves as little puddle in garage.  Mines the bearing/shaft I assume as some actually lose the impeller.  Maybe better on the gen 2 though.  Mine was replaced under warranty at 17k miles and it's done 40k since.

2 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Yes, light weeping from the bottom of the engine.  Leaves as little puddle in garage.  Mines the bearing/shaft I assume as some actually lose the impeller.  Maybe better on the gen 2 though.  Mine was replaced under warranty at 17k miles and it's done 40k since.

They have a weep hole (which sounds gross) which will sometimes start to weep before they fail.

3 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/pierburg/14433304

Is this not it? Autodoc suggesting it for my 2.9 and all other 987.2 cars.

May have come up since you searched.

That's interesting. When I do a specific search on Autodoc for my 987.2R I just get a load of weird pumps but doing the same for 987.2S shows the Pierburg one you linked too. Their search function is getting confused and I've noticed that happen before. Out of Stock though :(

Edited by Andyoz

I think i paid about £350 for an OE water pump from Porsche last year (will check invoice when home tomorrow). 

i did initially buy a cheaper ‘quality’ one online, but when I took it to my Indy he said he wouldn’t fit it as it was cr@p…

so that one got sent back and he supplied an OE pump. 

mine had started to weep / drip at around 60k miles, best to get it done. The labour itself isn’t long and you can  ‘help’ by pre-removing the top and bulkhead engine cover soundproofing etc and remove a few of the cover bolts and refit yourself after. Probably saves 30-60 mins labour 🤷‍♂️

if you can get the pierburg one I’d guess that’s OE quality as a number of other OE parts are pierburg (e.g. sports exhaust actuators, vacuum actuators, vacuum pump). 

2 hours ago, mc5 said:

How much do Porsche want out of interest

Yeah, I think they're about £400 all in which I flat out refuse to pay for an item that clearly isn't "5 star" quality.

How hard is it to engineer a water pump to last 100k. This will be the second mines had in less than 60k miles.

Just checked invoice - I paid £320 (incl VAT).  But if you say you’re a member of PCGB and give them any 6digit ‘membership’ number you’ll get 10% off, so should bring it down to £290 for an OE part.