Tidy 987.2 for sale

Ginginho

Just few things Martin, I only happen to be a car designer, who works in the industry and could write a book about cars/industry. Plus I've run a small business making after market parts so you have no idea how many people enquire/modify their cars. If it was like you say then most aftermarket company out there wouldn't exist. It's a fact dude.

That exhaust looks like any exhaust in UK. So it's absolutely fine. 

On the 987 platform it's true when you lower them you don't gain any negative camber at the front, just at the rear. Plus you run out of toe at the rear with stock toe arms. Really don't need you to tell me this. I've worked on the 987 platform for longer that you've been eating food. But to say that the H&R spring don't works it's just pure nonsense. 

People who put them on do it for look, people like me who do only trackdays wouldn't even consider lowering springs. Take it easy pal 👍

2 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

As for the leather thing, I'd rather buy a clean car with no extended leather and fit that than this black car that for me would need a long list of works. Most of these cars have very few significant mods, so ruling out one like this car is not dramatically reducing my options. Once I got the spec list, I wasn't even remotely tempted.

If leather wasn't a deal-breaker, though we were lead to believe it was, then I am amazed you haven't gone for some of the manual soup of the days we have discussed over the past month such as the two 911 Virgin ones or this one with the R Sports pack optioned

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13269850

the pics don't do it justice but that is a great one. Like the MJ Sportscar one with the R wing, but in manual.

Between those 3 cars, if those aren't right then I feel you are analysing too much and purposely finding every reason not to buy.

7 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

If leather wasn't a deal-breaker, though we were lead to believe it was, then I am amazed you haven't gone for some of the manual soup of the days we have discussed over the past month such as the two 911 Virgin ones or this one with the R Sports pack optioned

the pics don't do it justice but that is a great one. Like the MJ Sportscar one with the R wing, but in manual.

Between those 3 cars, if those aren't right then I feel you are analysing too much and purposely finding every reason not to buy.

7 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

the pics don't do it justice but that is a great one.

I don't understand how you could consider listing your Porsche privately and only posting two pics 😖

4 minutes ago, Ginginho said:

I don't understand how you could consider listing your Porsche privately and only posting two pics 😖

I agree, but their madness could be capitalised upon. I reckon in real life, what with the factory R kit then it is a peach hidden in a poor advert.

3 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

It'll also be my only car, so having it off the road loads to address all the issues doesn't appeal much either.

I think I'll leave it all there re this thread other than probably popping back and letting you know if I have bought one. I feel like it looks like I'm trying to talk the market down, and I don't mean to do that. Just can't not see that trade bids are dropping, very little is selling, a fair few advertised prices are being cut and the last two cars on CC went for what would be very cheap if the market is the same now as the end of last year.

Personally I think even as an owner prices going up is a bad thing. It tends to make parts and labour more expensive and people use the cars less. Just look at air cooled 911s. Engine rebuilds are now about 3-4x the price they were 10 years ago for the same work (you can't put all that down to inflation, it's mostly because the cars are now megabucks and the clientele is less price sensitive) and people are too scared to use what has become a valuable asset. 

It sounds, to me, that you're overthinking and over analysing this decision.

The chances of getting the right car, with the right spec, at the right price, with all of the other desireables is pretty much none.  You have to be willing to compromise if you want to obtain a car in less than 12 months or potentially longer.

Of course, it's still your money that you have to part with, and it's all about whether you think it's the right decision.  But waiting for the stars to align will likely result in you never actually buying a 987, and it's a fantastic car whether it has the perfect options list or not.

I'm absolutely not offended, by the way.  No one is forcing me to read your posts/reply; not sure what I can say about others in the thread, mind you.

Now get out there and buy one! :D 

13 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Isn't that one very expensive for a 2.9? Especially given Ash131's Silver Cayman has ext leather is a 3.4 and is priced the same.

Having said that I agree with MartinF6 that the one on CC was one to avoid, given the mods it's likely to have been tracked heavily in the past. Not that there is anything wrong with a car that has been tracked but speaking to my friend's that do track their cars, a track day is like adding 5k road miles to a car in terms of wear and tear on suspension and brakes. There wasn't many invoices to suggest those were refreshed in the CC advert so can see why that would put people off.

My 1st thought on that car was that it’s been modified for track use, I live a stones throw from Cadwell park and regularly go and watch some of the track evening events where the Cayman is a popular choice. 

6 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Guards is rare on 987s (possibly with good reason 😅 ), but if it floats your boat then this one from Ashgood is (characteristically) good value:

https://www.ashgood.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-Cayman-U3102

A yes, I thought it had been posted but perhaps not. That is a great one too. 

7 hours ago, wtaite01 said:

Guards is rare on 987s (possibly with good reason 😅 ), but if it floats your boat then this one from Ashgood is (characteristically) good value:

Great value, barely more than I paid for a 2.9 last March, albeit more miles but should be good for another 100k on the clock 

Soup of the day

https://www.exoprestige.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-cayman-3-4-987-s-pdk-2dr-chesham-202205035294427

very interesting colour and the spec is through the roof….every lower panel button is optioned bar one….which got me thinking is there such a spec m/configuration which would fill that entire strip of buttons with no blanks?

On 05/05/2022 at 15:04, wtaite01 said:

Why “possibly with good reason” is guards red rare on a 987? 

46 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

NOT soup of the day

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205085472955

Seems expensive does it not for a Cat D.

I enquired and it was rear wing damage, one large panel with the roof. 

Notice the front bumper where it meets the wing (passenger side) 😅 

Not only expensive but what's with those 20" 981 wheels and the stance of Nissan Prius? Why do people insist on this terrible choices? (nope I don't care about opinions, it's just wrong lol) 

43 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Notice the front bumper where it meets the wing (passenger side) 😅 

Not only expensive but what's with those 20" 981 wheels and the stance of Nissan Prius? Why do people insist on this terrible choices? (nope I don't care about opinions, it's just wrong lol) 

ah yes, well observed…the gap on the bonnet to front bumper on the passenger side. How odd…must be as a result of the shunt/damage it took on the rear end yep? 

Agree on those wheels! 

Edited by Julian987
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ginginho said:

It has a Halfords service stamp??? 🤮

Yeah and that! To be honest an oil change is something so easy to perform but equally why buy a Porsche and then having serviced it at Halfords?! Oh man...

• Haha 1