Jump to content

What engine mounts are you on?


Liongolfer

Recommended Posts

Do you mean the engine mount (singular) or the gearbox mounts (plural)? If the former, stick to OEM rubber (i think lemforder make them). If the latter, the 964 RS mounts make a nice upgrade 

 

2 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Got my annual service done today and was told the engine mounts will need replacing soon.  

 

What engine mounts are recommended?  Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Do you mean the engine mount (singular) or the gearbox mounts (plural)? If the former, stick to OEM rubber (i think lemforder make them). If the latter, the 964 RS mounts make a nice upgrade 

 

Thanks Lenny.  I do't remember lol. Will just change both next year.  Noted on Lemforder for Engine mount and the 964RS Mounts for the gearbox.

 

I appreciate you chiming in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I installed 964 RS gearbox mounts earlier this year.  Definitely worth it if your mounts are gone but I wouldn't replace working ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Liongolfer said:

I'd just buy the aftermarket ones from Type911. I had them fitted to my old Boxster and they were fine (and a lot cheaper).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I have the iRO ones on my car (that Type911 sell).  They seem fine.

 

Yeah those were the ones I fitted (URO?) and they were fine. They're hardly complex so it's hard to justify paying an extra £300 for the Porsche ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, just to throw in another option...

 

Making your own polyurethane mounts out of your existing mounts is very easy (I did that on my Cayman). You angle grind the top of the mount off, pour out the hydraulic fluid, remove the honeycomb bit, and then pour in your choice of polyurethane. I went for 85a and they are great. Truth be told, they are actually better than the 964RS mounts. Any increase in NVH is negligible and they do tighten up the rear. The cost is less than £15. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

 

Yeah those were the ones I fitted (URO?) and they were fine. They're hardly complex so it's hard to justify paying an extra £300 for the Porsche ones.

 

That's it - URO.

 

@Liongolfer if you go the URO route, you need to cut the bolts shorter and lengthen the thread.  Or get different bolts, of course.  They're stainless bolts so cutting them with a die for mild steel will be extremely trying.  Make sure you get one that can handle stainless.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC there was a lengthily discussion on wevo[race] mounts some years ago on another forum and many mounts went quietly back in their box and up on a shelf ......if you drive mostly on the street normally, the OEM "mush" mounts do as intended . kinda like obnoxious exhaust,stiff suspension bushings etc the novelty wears off rather quickly driving down the highway   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, extanker said:

IIRC there was a lengthily discussion on wevo[race] mounts some years ago on another forum and many mounts went quietly back in their box and up on a shelf ......if you drive mostly on the street normally, the OEM "mush" mounts do as intended . kinda like obnoxious exhaust,stiff suspension bushings etc the novelty wears off rather quickly driving down the highway   

 

Will try to find this thread. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those on the 964RS mounts... I'm reading it transfers a bit more vibration?  If yes, I'm not sure I want that as my CS is quite chatty already as is. I don't track and perhaps will do (borders still closed here) the very occasional B-Road drive.

 

I guess this would solicit a "stay with stock" recommendation but since I need to change them ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

There was no real increase in NVH as far as I've experienced with mine.  But I don't exactly use the car for the weekly shop.

Likewise. Even on proper poly mounts, I didn't notice any significant increase in vibration...but then mine is fully polybushed anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Likewise. Even on proper poly mounts, I didn't notice any significant increase in vibration...but then mine is fully polybushed anyway

 

I wonder how many of the horror stories are due to the bolts not being torqued up to spec, causing the engine to rock in the mounts rather than be dampened by them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2021 at 14:02, Aaron said:

I installed 964 RS gearbox mounts earlier this year.  Definitely worth it if your mounts are gone but I wouldn't replace working ones.

 

Is this the kit you are referring to?  Any other parts I need to get?

 

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD375964/clubsport-engine-mount-set-964-993-oem.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

The powerflex engine mount kit looks very different.  What am i getting wrong?

 

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-engine-mount-kit-genuine-porsche-powerflex-9a137502322kt

That's an insert for the engine mount and a totally separate thing from the gearbox mounts you were talking about above

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.