Next Gen Caysters to be electric from 2025

If its reported via pistonheads it’s gotta be true… 😮

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/electric-vehicles/porsche-confirms-all-electric-718-for-2025/45450

i guess it was only a matter of time. Get your NA.F6 GTS4.0s on order now, before you no longer can! 😞😢

I guess it was inevitable for Porsche to go electric, but I’m surprised they’ll be introducing it so soon with the Cayman. I wonder if they’ll continue to offer the petrol option along side right up until 2030?

Of course Porsche will have to go electric with the 911 at some point too, but will the inclusion of back seats be the only differentiation between the Cayman and the 911? With electric, the notion of mid-engine or rear-engine is irrelevant. 

Surely, the electric Cayman (and 911) will be so different to their petrol ancestors, that they are just a continuation by name only. Come to think of it, I’m sure that’s what people said when the 911 went from air-cooled to water-cooled!

I’m sure that the electric Cayman will be a great car (amongst electric cars), but I will surely miss petrol.

I've been excited for the electric Cayman for a while, but I'm worried about weight. The Cayman is relatively light and nimble—no Lotus, but still. I've felt a Model 3 Performance thrown around on the road and, while it's good at disguising its weight, it's very much still there. I've heard similar remarks about the Taycan, too... so here's hoping lighter battery tech (solid state?) is viable for 2025.

@Porschaholic I seem to recall a Chris Harris interview where they said the 911 was going to be their only/main holdout and that they were looking to move to electric quickly. I have some hopes for carbon-neutral fuels allowing the flat 6 to live on, but I am worried that the investment just isn't there. The two loudest camps seem to be "petrol bad" and "I don't care about the environment let me drive my muscle car", leaving synthetic petrol in a sort-of limbo.

As for characteristics, I'd be interested to see. I hope they do more than just making the 911 the faster (but ultimately similarly-driving) cousin to the Cayman, since they're such distinct experiences right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I still love my 987.2 CS but reckon the electric cayman with what should be a lower CG will handle even better.  Don;t think I (can afford) will change to the E cayman but am rather eager to see what it does.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Windymiller said:

It may well stick to the road like snot to blanket and no doubt will have a well sub 4-seconds 0-60 time, but the aural experience will be as exciting as listening to my nespresso aero-latte whisk operating - so it’s a ‘no’ from me I’m afraid. 

internal combustion power in a sports car until petrol is no longer sold, or I simply can’t afford it (which at current rates is likely to be around about next Tuesday! 😮). 😉😁👍🏻

Can't disagree with you on the inevitable different sensory experience.

With many people the driving of a combustion engine car, regardless of what it is and the size of the engine, is their method of unwinding and clearing their thoughts. A sort of therapy if you will. 

The thought of jumping into an electic box of joy sucking amps will leave quite a large gap in many people lives, so I wonder if petrol will be available on the NHS under prescription.... 

For me the idea of running an electric car is a none starter, the cost of them is too high and the running of them these days with the increase of electricity isn't as good looking either. Forgetting the likes of the Taycan at the moment, the Telsla looks like it went out of date 6 months before it left the factory in the looks department and nothing out there other than perhaps the Polstar looks remotely interesting to me. 

Whilst I think they have their place as perhaps the school runner and local shopping hack, a long driver they are not. Not when that long drive is the thing you have been counting down your week to get started on... 

Plus, let’s not forget all those people who just can't own one, the rows and rows of houses in city centres, that have no means of plugging in overnight... unless you park the car in the nearest on street charging station... but would you want to leave your car several streets away in somewhere like Newham in London...

I'll be the black sheep, but let me say you are all too narrow minded (at least for now). 

When combustion engines were created they were very inefficient, no petrol station available every 5 miles and cars were slow. But then they evolved.

Guess what? It will be exactly the same for electric cars. But we are only at the very beginning and technology improves everyday. This mean that A batteries will take less to charge and B they will have more range. Will be no different that filling up at a petrol station. 

Also, with autonomy coming up, nobody will actually own the car, it will be based on a subscription models. Simply use your app to order a car and will show up on your driveway to take you wherever. Do you actually worry if your UBER driver has fuel or where they park their car at night?! Nope. So this will be the same.

We all love combustion engines simply because that's what we are used to. Before cars there were horses. So maybe we shouldn't be having cars at all according to the same principle. Oh wait, before horses we walked everywhere!! Well you get the idea. Technology moves on and the experiences related to it evolves!

GenZ and GenerationAlpha don't really care for gearboxes, cylinders etc. It's all about connectivity, mobility, services.  So automakers have to focus on this as well.

We consider ourselves  "petrolheads" yet we drive cars assisted by electronic, most of us do not adjust cam shafts positions, nor fuel mixture on the carburattores....and so on. Something to think about....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy said:

With many people the driving of a combustion engine car, regardless of what it is and the size of the engine, id their method of unwinding and clearing their thoughts. A sort of therapy if you will. 

The thought of jumping into an eclectic box of joy sucking amps will leave quite a large gap in many people lives, so I wonder if petrol will be available on the NHS under prescription.... 

For me the idea of running an electric car is a none starter, the cost of them is too high and the running of them these days with the increase of electricity isn't as good looking either. Forgetting the likes of the Taycan at the moment, the Telsla looks like it went out of date 6 months before it left the factory in the looks department and nothing out there other than perhaps the Polstar looks remotely interesting to me. 

Whilst I think they have their place as perhaps the school runner and local shopping hack, a long driver they are not. Not when that long drive is the thing you have been counting down your week to get started on... 

Plus, let’s not forget all those people who just can't own one, the rows and rows of houses in city centres, that have no means of plugging in overnight... unless you park the car in the nearest on street charging station... but would you want to leave your car several streets away in somewhere like Newham in London...

I agree completely!

19 hours ago, Andrea said:

I'll be the black sheep, but let me say you are all too narrow minded (at least for now). 

When combustion engines were created they were very inefficient, no petrol station available every 5 miles and cars were slow. But then they evolved.

Guess what? It will be exactly the same for electric cars. But we are only at the very beginning and technology improves everyday. This mean that A batteries will take less to charge and B they will have more range. Will be no different that filling up at a petrol station. 

Also, with autonomy coming up, nobody will actually own the car, it will be based on a subscription models. Simply use your app to order a car and will show up on your driveway to take you wherever. Do you actually worry if your UBER driver has fuel or where they park their car at night?! Nope. So this will be the same.

We all love combustion engines simply because that's what we are used to. Before cars there were horses. So maybe we shouldn't be having cars at all according to the same principle. Oh wait, before horses we walked everywhere!! Well you get the idea. Technology moves on and the experiences related to it evolves!

GenZ and GenerationAlpha don't really care for gearboxes, cylinders etc. It's all about connectivity, mobility, services.  So automakers have to focus on this as well.

We consider ourselves  "petrolheads" yet we drive cars assisted by electronic, most of us do not adjust cam shafts positions, nor fuel mixture on the carburattores....and so on. Something to think about....

I agree with most of what you said.  I'm not sure about the subscription model. There will be a market.  I just don't know if I will be a subscriber if I can help it.