Pilot super sport replacement

Porker

I need a tyre set too, mine came with Bridgestones, stones being the operative word, Its jars if I run over a cigarette paper. was told by a 911 owner to switch to pilot SS or PS2s.  these will soften the ride and improve the grip, according to him. the new PS4S tyre looks good but not launched till early next year.

• 1 year later...

I know this an oldish thread but thought I'd add my thoughts...

All this talk of only fitting N rated tyres is a red herring & imo a complete croc of shite!!

I replaced my Mich Pilot Super Sports with the Yokohama Advan AD08R & the grip/feel/confidence is leaps ahead of the Michelin''s...

I think you need to separate the ‘N’ argument away from tyre performance, because the two are unrelated.  That’s just a Porsche requirement and certainly not a red herring, it’s just a plain fact.  Porsche require that you fit them for warranty purposes ultimately.  You could argue that with Porsche but you won’t get anywhere.  Can you fit non-N rated tyres on a Porsche, yes of course but being aware of the potential risks of doing so.  

On the latter point, I’d agree that the AD08 is a very good track tyre (better than an MPSS for track) that you can run on the road, but I’d never put them on my Cayman as a pure road car, the Michelin is without doubt a superior road only tyre.  

• Like 1

Michelin PS4S work pretty well on track in 19" sizes and are particularly impressive in the wet and probably the best all rounder for road and occasional track imo, no doubt Cup 2's would be even better in the dry on track. 

I like the look of AD08r's but seeing as mine is still mostly a road car they looked a bit too dry/track focused to work well in winter months on the road. 

Jamie McWhir - technical manager at Michelin and prior FI tyre technician for them - explained to me how "N" marked tyres differ from the generic tyre. You could have a generic PS4S and "N0" PS4S but they aren't the same. The Porsche marked tyre has been developed for and with Porsche to their specific requirements and tested to ensure it meets their requirements.

Or... he's telling me a load of old bull?

But then Dave Mullin at Goodyear and Sam Taylor at Pirelli have explained exactly the same to me, including the difference in physical dimensions, i.e. a 235 wide generic tyre may be wider (or narrower) than a 235 "N" marked tyre as the latter is made to a more precise spec whereas generic tyres are allowed to be within wider tolerances.

I spoke to Dave years ago when I had my Audi TTS...

He told me all tyres are made in accordance with the ETRTO rules: http://www.etrto.org/page.asp?id=1690&langue=EN

This means a generic non-AO 255 35 19 tyre is allowed to be up to around 270mm wide, and is also the reason he receives dozens of calls from Audi owners about wheel arch rubbing on some models, as owners have bought generic tyres and not AO marked ones.

AO tyres are manufactured to Audi's own spec to meet their performance, noise, and comfort criteria and also so as to fit within the wheel arches! So a 255 wide tyre can be up to 4% narrower to accommodate this AND still be within the ETRTO rules. With AO tyres he doesn't get calls about wheel arch rubbing. 

So, apart from warranty considerations, there are some other real reasons to stick with "N" marked tyres perhaps?

I'd agree for road use but I'd rather have a tyre that was more engineered for the track than street tbh...

A similar debate goes around the motorcycle forums I'm on regarding the pros & cons of street biased rubber vs track biased...

Each to their own 'n' all that...

On 23/08/2018 at 18:01, DJMC said:

Jamie McWhir - technical manager at Michelin and prior FI tyre technician for them - explained to me how "N" marked tyres differ from the generic tyre. You could have a generic PS4S and "N0" PS4S but they aren't the same. The Porsche marked tyre has been developed for and with Porsche to their specific requirements and tested to ensure it meets their requirements.

Or... he's telling me a load of old bull?

But then Dave Mullin at Goodyear and Sam Taylor at Pirelli have explained exactly the same to me, including the difference in physical dimensions, i.e. a 235 wide generic tyre may be wider (or narrower) than a 235 "N" marked tyre as the latter is made to a more precise spec whereas generic tyres are allowed to be within wider tolerances.

I spoke to Dave years ago when I had my Audi TTS...

He told me all tyres are made in accordance with the ETRTO rules: http://www.etrto.org/page.asp?id=1690&langue=EN

This means a generic non-AO 255 35 19 tyre is allowed to be up to around 270mm wide, and is also the reason he receives dozens of calls from Audi owners about wheel arch rubbing on some models, as owners have bought generic tyres and not AO marked ones.

AO tyres are manufactured to Audi's own spec to meet their performance, noise, and comfort criteria and also so as to fit within the wheel arches! So a 255 wide tyre can be up to 4% narrower to accommodate this AND still be within the ETRTO rules. With AO tyres he doesn't get calls about wheel arch rubbing. 

So, apart from warranty considerations, there are some other real reasons to stick with "N" marked tyres perhaps?

I would dearly love to know what Porsche's requirements are for N rating.  My other half has a 991 C4S which came with Pirelli P Zero N0s on it.  To say they were appalling in the wet would be being kind.  In the dry they were vaguely acceptable but I managed to out corner that car in my  Mondeo on a wet roundabout one day.  So while I'm sure Mr Michelin and Mr Pirelli etc are telling the truth, it's only a tiny part of the story.    For some context, the previous 911 C4S had been Michelin shod and they were superb in the wet.  Unless Porsche decided the N rated tyres for some of its models should give sub GT86 levels of grip, perhaps?  Because in the wet they were pure comedy handling.

My Cayman runs non N rated.  They are better than the most recent N rated tyres which they replaced.  And I have a 2nd set of wheels for trips to the dealer.

Agree, it would be good to know the complete technicalities behind the N process. 

As a visual comparison ... I have both N and non N versions of the same size Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ... there is a definite physical difference in one of the sidewalls. I`ll get some photos later. 

On 27/08/2018 at 15:46, Cayman R Paul said:

I would dearly love to know what Porsche's requirements are for N rating.  My other half has a 991 C4S which came with Pirelli P Zero N0s on it.  To say they were appalling in the wet would be being kind.  In the dry they were vaguely acceptable but I managed to out corner that car in my  Mondeo on a wet roundabout one day.  So while I'm sure Mr Michelin and Mr Pirelli etc are telling the truth, it's only a tiny part of the story.    For some context, the previous 911 C4S had been Michelin shod and they were superb in the wet.  Unless Porsche decided the N rated tyres for some of its models should give sub GT86 levels of grip, perhaps?  Because in the wet they were pure comedy handling.

My Cayman runs non N rated.  They are better than the most recent N rated tyres which they replaced.  And I have a 2nd set of wheels for trips to the dealer.

You make a good point, and I agree the OEM PZeros on my 981 were dire, hard, slippery things. BUT... after a short while they started cracking and a Pirelli engineer came to my home ad decreed the rubber compound was faulty and paid for the Goodyears I'd already fitted as replacements.

I wonder if Pirelli had a large number of faulty PZeros, which were also the ones so often complained about in respect of their performance? It would make sense of a Porsche marked and supposedly superior tyre being utter crap.

19 hours ago, DJMC said:

You make a good point, and I agree the OEM PZeros on my 981 were dire, hard, slippery things. BUT... after a short while they started cracking and a Pirelli engineer came to my home ad decreed the rubber compound was faulty and paid for the Goodyears I'd already fitted as replacements.

I wonder if Pirelli had a large number of faulty PZeros, which were also the ones so often complained about in respect of their performance? It would make sense of a Porsche marked and supposedly superior tyre being utter crap.

Yeah I have read of the PZeros cracking and being replaced but in the case of the OTs 911 the tyres never cracked, they were just a bit useless.  Due to them being the only N rated tyres being available at the time, the PZero N0s werre replaced by PZero N1s.  These are vastly superior, but, still not as good as the PS2s on our old 997.  Now the PS4S comes N rated in the sizes it needs so that will be the next set that go on.  But yeah, even the 'good' PZeros on that car aren't especially great, particularly in the wet.

235/35 x 19 91Y XL Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2`s ... Non N rated vs. N0 rated 

Non N rated = on CR wheel 

Non N rated has rim protection inside & outside (dated 4415)

N0 has no rim protection (dated 2915) = a more uniform sidewall curvature

Cup 2`s 1a.jpg

Cup 2 (2).JPG

56 minutes ago, Mk1 said:

235/35 x 19 91Y XL Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2`s ... Non N rated vs. N0 rated 

Non N rated = on CR wheel 

Non N rated has rim protection inside & outside (dated 4415)

N0 has no rim protection (dated 2915) = a more uniform sidewall curvature

Cup 2`s 1a.jpg

Cup 2 (2).JPG

Any comments on difference in terms of drive between them?

Paul,

I did not drive on the N0`s.

The set that I purchased were mixed, front N rated / rears non N rated. I replaced the fronts given that I was taking them on track plus one of the N0 fronts had a (correct) puncture repair.

The set of non N rated performed superbly on the Anglesey (PCGB) track day trip last year.