Crafty1's manual Gen 2 987 S

crafty1

How easy was it to refit the Cayman S badge? Is it stuck on or screwed on? I've got a general build up of dirt, old polish, wax etc between the letters, so it would be great to remove it and clean it properly.

Cheers,

Bryan

They are stuck on, self adhesive foam backing.  Once you've taken one off you will have to glue it back on - which isn't really the best idea.  I would recommend buying a new badge and removing the old one using the fishing line method.  

Hi

My badge is a bit rubbed being silver, I was going to get a new black badge till I discovered that they are nearly £100 including postage>:(. I might try and use silicon type glue to put it back on or some of that double sided number plate tape that you have in the UK.

Barry

So easy to do, if you youtube 'plastidip car badge' or similar you will see you mask around it roughly spray paint it on the car, because the badge is raised the plastidip just peels off rhe bodywork around it but stays on the badge. I put about 5 coats on over a 4 hour period, total cost about £12 

• Like 1

• Founder

I've always replaced them on my previous cars when I had too.  The plastidip idea sounds like a good plan though (wish I'd thought of that!!) 

Remember that tooth floss is great for removing the badge in the first place. 

Top tip. 

Kai

• 3 months later...

Little while since my last update. I recently drove another members car on 17" wheels which was enough to whet my appetite to buy a set and see what they are really like on my newly sprung car. I got lucky and found a full set on Ebay for £200, but they did need new front tyres.

Now the car is fitted with the 17's plus 8mm spacers all round (needed on the front to clear the calipers) and I have now driven the car for about 500 hundred miles and softened the Ohlins off a few clicks and I fully 'get it' now, the reduction in unsprung weight and the taller sidewall really adds to feeling of connection to what the chassis is doing, don't get me wrong I was happy on the 19's and I loved the look, but this just adds another layer of driver involvement, they also still have ample grip but not so much you need to be going at crazy speeds to feel the chassis working underneath you, another benefit is the ride is a little better. The 19's will stay for track days only.

I've also just done the desnork mod, not convinced it offers anymore performance but the increase in induction noise overlayed with the Carnewal exhaust are getting the engine a bit closer to sounding like a GT3, which can only be a good thing. Also thought I'd experiment with Plastdipping my engine intake vents matt black.

Next up will be fitting my recently purchased Function-First yellow engine mount insert and their semi-semi solid gearbox mounts to try and contain the engine/gearbox movement I felt on the last track day.  

Still loving the Croc, getting to be a real drivers car now.

20170909_131244 (1).jpg

20171021_145855.jpg

Edited by crafty1
grammar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UKtom said:

Nice! The 17's are looking good and they don't look too small either, even better for just £200. :sSp_bdayparty:

Cheers Tom, yes got lucky on the price, top picture it looks better and it helps that the car is lower ,19's do look the best but I'm a real convert for how it drives on these.   

It's a good point, the owner of the car I drove also has 18's for his car and said he much prefers the 17's over them. I guess the problem for a lot of this is trying before you buy and no two cars will drive exactly the same. The 17 inch wheels have 50/55 profile tyres (35/40 for the 18's) so yes maybe that's the reason for the bigger difference, he's on here from time to time and hopefully he can chip in and elaborate his experience.

On my old 2.9 I had 17s and 19s but I rarely used the 17s even though they gave a less harsh ride on normal road use, I sacrificed comfort for style, especially as I didn't like the spoke pattern of my 17s - your car being lower makes the 17s fit the arch better.

I don't profess to be a skilled enough drive to have noticed and difference in driver involvement. When I hillclimbed my car I only ever used the 19s which felt fine to me, maybe I should have tried the 17s on track at least once.

P1040738 (Large).JPG

DSCN2584 (Large).JPG

I actually really like that style of 17 inch wheel, they were what I was looking for until I found mine. 19's are a must for track or hill climbing I reckon for the extra grip.

Meanwhile I added some 'R' side stripes today

20171125_103059.jpg

Edited by crafty1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, UKtom said:

Car looked great rolling earlier mate! What lights do you have in your fog light units? They looked like DRL LED's? I need some!

Hey Tom, was thinking same looking at your car, also the front of your car looked great in my rear view mirror too, front bumper grill/vent really suits it. Not sure what the Jag driver was doing !

Ref front fogs, afaik they are standard like that on the S or at least they were like that when I bought the car anyway.

8 minutes ago, crafty1 said:

Hey Tom, was thinking same looking at your car, also the front of your car looked great in my rear view mirror too, front bumper grill/vent really suits it. Not sure what the Jag driver was doing !

Ref front fogs, afaik they are standard like that on the S or at least they were like that when I bought the car anyway.

Thanks dude, I have LED headlight bulbs (link is in my build thread). Your fog lights/running lights looked really nice - i've just impulse bought a set of LED fog bulbs off eBay haha

Yeah, jag driver was in a hurry to get somewhere. Admittedly I put my foot down to stop him cutting in front of me, but he kept undertaking and only just made it in front of you! Some people do crazy maneuverers to get two cars in front.

• 2 weeks later...