Crafty1's manual Gen 2 987 S

crafty1

Well, from the above pics it looks pretty immaculate to me! I'm picking up a 987 S Gen 2 tomorrow, this will be my first Porsche having previously been a bit of a Z car devotee. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed my last 370Z I can't imagine I'm going to be disappointed with the Cayman, undoubtedly there will be certain pros and cons but overall I reckon on the Cayman coming out on top. Like you, I'm banking on that 'involvement' feeling and having informed the wife that 'this one will remain standard' (:rofl:yeah as if) I can't wait to start modding it!

Good luck and keep me posted on the progress.

That looks great in Silver with those wheels! They were the wheels I wanted when I was looking for a Cayman, and I settled thinking I would buy some at a later date, then I realised how much they're worth! :4fvgdaq_th:

Hi, Nice looking car , congratulations and alloys were the same ones I went for on my first Porsche a 987, 2.9 gen II, best choice in my opinion for the car at the time. The rear spoiler for me was the one thing That needed a more dramatic and sporty look you get by having the Cayman R fixed spoiler added. Sadly did not get round to that, but well worth considering to enhance you cars looks even further, I'm not much into other types of mechanical upgrades myself. I've no such issues with my 981, as Porsche sorted out the rear end look and did a great job in re-styling in my opinion. As for the further changes to the rear end on the 718, I'm still working out whether I like it or not........guess I'll wait till next refresh in about 2 years to see  what evolves.......... Happy driving. :Porsche:

Cheers Andrew, 10 years ago I would probably have agreed with you on the Cayman R wing but I must be getting old and pref the cleaner look tbh. 981 is a good looking car and agree something not quite right, at certain angles, around the rear on 987 but other bits I really like.

I do like to mod cars so it won't stay standard for long, suspension changes more for getting the car to perform on track but another upside being lower ride height it will look better Imo. Love the 917 emoj, my all time favourite car.

• 2 months later...

Just did a 3 day trip to Spa to watch the classic, car ran faultlessly and whilst en route stopped of at Carnewal, so is now sporting a modded exhaust and new tips, I'm pleased with he result, not too loud and no drone but just a bit more growl, as others have mentioned he's also a pleasure to deal with. Had some fun with my mates who were on quick bikes, Cayman held it's own on the twisties and I can confirm it's a 170+ mph car... 

Next month will see Ohlins R+T suspension being fitted which I'm a tad excited about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Crafty1

let me know how you get on with the Ohlins. I'm thinking suspension atm but want to hear people's thoughts first. 

Cheers

Kai 

Will do Kai, they are being fitted by Centre Gravity on the 30th June along with some Elephant racing adjustable top mounts for camber and their full geo including corner weighting and fast road set up.

This weekend I changed the rear discs (brembo) and also fitted EBC yellow stuff pads all round, so begins the bedding in process... I also fitted some modified (by me)  997 turbo brake ducts to the rear suspension arms (picture below from Planet9 thread) to add some cooling and some front GT3 ducts which just clip on. I also fitted the DesignTek 15mm rear and 7mm front wheel spacers that I purchased on here from Andy.

Also fitted a Sprint Booster, have to say on this I was a little sceptical but I was not keen on the standard throttle pedal delay and sluggishness. After a bit of playing around I actually like the difference, on the lowest green setting it makes for a nicer drive with improved throttle response, more akin to an old school cable throttle response imo.

IMG_5747 (1).JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ohlins are going on today, interestingly they don't come with springs which have to be ordered separately 

Chris at CG  looked at the Ohlins 'recommended' spring rates of 70nm Fr 80nm R and was a tad concerned maybe too stiffly sprung front for the road and may induce understeer

for comparison:

GT4 981 - 45nm / 80 nm (35nm difference)

Cayman R - 30nm / 43nm (13nm)

Cayman S 987 - 27NM / 37NM (10nm)

KW Clubsport - 70NM / 120 NM (40nm)

PSS9 CS - 50nm / 114NM (64NM)

Ohlins - 70NM / 80NM (10NM)

We've decided to go for 50nm / 80nm (30 nm difference) so about the same as 981 GT4. Here's hoping ! 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Interesting, wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on these.  Can't be many that have fitted them to a 987 yet.

Do do keep us posted :) 

Yes - let us know how it feels. I guess you can always fiddle with the shock settings once the springs are fitted. 

Kai

From this 

1479922081_img_2052.jpg.5255526af03c0183b4d70a5f746333a9.jpg

To this

rps20170701_215927.jpg.26a68400f85e976f31c7b8087328ca5c.jpg

2nd pic looks a bit stretched after I reduced size but you get the idea...  Ride height 4-6mm lower than R spec but 10mm higher than Ohlins recommend! (clears speed bumps no problem) dampers 12 clicks from full firm on front and 10 clicks on rear, I think for 'B' road it needs to be less and will try tomorrow, it's firm but not uncomfortable, deflects bumps well and very planted, has the feel of a Porsche GT product now as opposed to out of the box standard set up, early signs are very encouraging but needs some adjustment.

• Like 1

rps20170702_114001.jpg.5463d8ea18432dec23ea3063c2d59f58.jpg

Further to my previous post, last night I just reduced the dampers another 4 clicks and had a 'proper' drive on roads I know well with a real mixed bag of crests, mid corner bumps, compressions etc. All I can say is the Ohlins are the real deal, the 4 clicks off allowed he car to really flow, the rebound stroke on these DFV dampers is impressive and very well judged, the faster you go the better it seems to get.

The Ohlins manual says 20 clicks available from full firm, and suggest track 2-7, Winding road 5-10, Street 10-20, I'm currently on front 16 and rear 14, next time out I'll add 2 clicks back on, spring rates seem about right, glad GC suggested the lower front spring rate.

Edited by crafty1

I went through Centre Gravity as I heard great things about them and their Porsche chassis set up. I think the purchase price for springs and dampers were approx £2.5k including vat. My install was quite expensive because my car has covered 60,000 miles and all the drop links had to be cut off as they had seized on, so more labour and replace the links added a fair bit to my bill, GC also do a full corner weight set up and tailor the chassis set up to suit your needs, I asked for fast road / occasional track day. 

Today I refitted most of the interior and plastidiped my Cayman S badge, also added a few Pegasus decals to front wings for that James Dean / retro racer look, jury still out on them, wife and kids predictably took the pish! 

rps20170708_173853.jpg.cc7c32642dc2d161960e720ac2d931a3.jpglrps20170708_174135.jpg.da7e048826e7be8498831fe0d24133cd.jpg