New Cayman R owner

Aaron

I have some questions about the IPD plenum/GT3 throttle body:

Interested to know that it's a worthwhile upgrade on an R as I'd understood the Cayman S already has a bigger plenum/throttle body than a Boxster S. Any idea of the relative dimensions?

Has the difference been measured and what does the butt dyno say?

Just from my experience, the gt3 throttle body is much larger than standard and the plenum is a lovely smooth Y shape instead of a T - so can only be a good thing. I definitely have more power from those (plus race filter and desnork) - especially at the top end. 

You should do the exhaust next to really benefit from getting more air in. I did and that's when you seriously feel the extra go!

Kai 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-6-5 at 19:32, CliveH said:

I have some questions about the IPD plenum/GT3 throttle body:

Interested to know that it's a worthwhile upgrade on an R as I'd understood the Cayman S already has a bigger plenum/throttle body than a Boxster S. Any idea of the relative dimensions?

Has the difference been measured and what does the butt dyno say?

10 WHP on the dyno.  Spending £1100 on parts and not £80 on two power runs is insane.  I'm rather surprised by how many owners seem to be doing this, especially when your pockets are deep enough to buy such cars!

On 2017-6-9 at 15:44, Nail it said:

Nice car, was it easy to change the bits over?

Yes, it wasn't that bad.  The real issue is in getting the rubber seals around the plenum on both sides once it's in place.  It's usually the underside of the seal that doesn't seat and it's a right pain to get your hand in there and seal it properly.  I'd recommend having a helper for this portion, just to help manhandle the plenum whilst you deal with the seal.

Having some sandpaper and some body colour aerosol helps to get the tab back to its original condition after you bend it too.  I would highly recommend this.

I think it was 3 hours all in and this included waiting for the engine to cool (it was 28° when I did it), having breaks and cleanup.  I'm pretty competent with a spanner though, so not sure I'd recommend it to the average DIY mechanic.

I was planning to do a how to guide but got so covered in dirt I never took my phone out of the glove box...

If anyone needs a hand on doing it, just drop me a PM or make a post and point me in the direction. :)

Also, sorry about the late reply, gents; I completely missed these!