lowering/cayman R suspension

banjo

hi

so ever since ive owned my car ive been wanting to lower it and have done a fair bit of research and am considering using the cayman R suspension or Hand R.

however im finding it hard to locate anywhere in the uk that sells the R springs and i can only find the rear springs from overseas suppliers and no fronts anywhere,i could just contact porsche dealer as i have the part numbers.

has anyone fitted this suspension? where did you buy the parts

thanks

Without paying extortionate amounts of money, I can only see you purchasing R suspension from a written off car.  Otherwise, you're looking at approaching a dealer and coughing up whatever number they spout (and expect it to be four figures at least).

What is your reason for lowering the car, simply to lower it or something else?  The R suspension and geometry is a drastic difference from the regular suspension, but it does have it cons; it sometimes scrapes speed bumps, etc.  Catching the rear mudguards on things is also a bad niggle. 

• Founder

For the cost of buying the R suspension components I'd say you are better of looking at the Ohlins kit which IMO is very sensibly priced for what it is.  

10 hours ago, Aaron said:

Without paying extortionate amounts of money, I can only see you purchasing R suspension from a written off car.  Otherwise, you're looking at approaching a dealer and coughing up whatever number they spout (and expect it to be four figures at least).

What is your reason for lowering the car, simply to lower it or something else?  The R suspension and geometry is a drastic difference from the regular suspension, but it does have it cons; it sometimes scrapes speed bumps, etc.  Catching the rear mudguards on things is also a bad niggle. 

with its 20mm drop the R springs seem a better bet than the 30-35mm drop offered with nearly all the after market springs.

the rears i have found for approx £150 new/genuine porsche parts but i cant find the fronts.

34 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

For the cost of buying the R suspension components I'd say you are better of looking at the Ohlins kit which IMO is very sensibly priced for what it is.  

hi

yes have looked at the ohlins but its more than i need really,just want the car lowered and looking more sporty and with the R springs can keep the parts porsche rather than aftermarket.

Worth a chat with Centre Gravity, I discussed 'R' springs with them and they said they could supply and fit them before I went down the Ohlins route.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/27/2017 at 14:16, banjo said:

i went with the H and R springs in the end,just waiting for them to be delivered.

Any update?

Did you fit these yourself?

I was also looking at lowering springs... I have Vogtland on my 350z convertible (rather low!) but am considering the same for my S.

Julian...

2 hours ago, Mavrik said:

Any update?

Did you fit these yourself?

I was also looking at lowering springs... I have Vogtland on my 350z convertible (rather low!) but am considering the same for my S.

Julian...

yes fitted them months ago.

22 hours ago, banjo said:

yes fitted them months ago.

Easy to fit? Or did you have issues with seized fasteners etc?

Any pics? :35_thinking:

6 hours ago, Mavrik said:

Easy to fit? Or did you have issues with seized fasteners etc?

Any pics? :35_thinking:

hi,fairly easy to fit(i have workshop/air tools etc)but seized rear arb drop links caused a few probs,i also cleaned everything,fitted new bump stops etc all in took near 15 hours.

a far amount of rear interior trim has to be removed starting behind seats and working your way back towards the rear strut top,a bit tricky if you havnt removed this trim before.

drop on the H and R springs is approx 20mm and not 35mm.

i have pics but cant upload to this site and i dont have hosting site.if you pm me your email i will forward you some if it helps

thanks