Brake pads

Anyone got recommendations for brake pads? Are oem just as good as aftermarket items?

I drive quite spirited on roads ?

And visit Nurburgring couple times a year.. so would like a decent pad

So far in 1 year if have tried oem which were fine on the road, I then installed EBC yellow stuff for road and a few track days plus fitted a GT3 Master cylinder, GT3 front ducts, braided lines and higher boiling temp. fluid. It may well be that I did not bed them in properly but on my 1st track day the EBC were terrible, when I took them out them out they even started to crumble.

I am told the best track day pads are Pagids but are expensive and squeal a fair bit on the road. I also wanted a dual purpose pad so I am now using Brembo sport pad I bought from design 911, they seem to work well in all circumstances so far and are about half the price of Pagids.

The main issue with the 987 Cayman are the discs are a little small and struggle to lose the heat, GT3 brake ducts are a cheap way of ducting more air on to them for cooling at the front, also fairly regular bleeding helps them feel spot on.

Edited by crafty1

If you visit the Nurburgring a couple of times then maybe try PFC brake pads. I agree with crafty1, EBC are junk on road and track and not worth even considering. I have GT3 master cylinder, GT3 brake ducts and high them brake fluid and the PFC pads are the best I have tried. I also used the Brembo sport compound for a bit and they were good on the road, but had high wear on the track. 

Word of warning though, the PFC pads cost an arm and a leg (more than twice the Brembo) and squeal a lot at low speeds. But for track use they're amazing and last a while. 

Any images or links to the air ducts you're talking about.. 

I had end yellow on Cooper s.. absolutely shocking..

My mate worked in brake factory in town and brembo and standard pads were exactly same except they cost more and they put a brembo sticker on them... 

Might just stick with OEM.. I heard carbotech are half decent 

1 hour ago, Gazwaz said:

Any images or links to the air ducts you're talking about.. 

I had end yellow on Cooper s.. absolutely shocking..

My mate worked in brake factory in town and brembo and standard pads were exactly same except they cost more and they put a brembo sticker on them... 

Might just stick with OEM.. I heard carbotech are half decent 

Carbotech are excellent.

@Gazwaz no problem, they're pretty easy to fit once you get the wheels off and jack it up. They can be quite stiff to bend into place, so I used a flat head screw driver.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

Car parts 4 less is Euro Car Parts.

Ye it is but a fraction of the price, I got the pads from Euro Parts who price matched then beat Car parts by a few ££, Got to be worth a look before buying any consumable parts.

Dean 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-pads

I have found original pads on my 981 to be perfectly adequate for road and track use - the first car I have driven on track that does not need modified brakes/pads.  Standard pads on my E82 BMW were not fit for track use.  Having tried out several alternatives, the best by far were Carbotech pads.  The worked perfectly, no fade, no modulation reduction or variation and were durable. 

What shortcomings are others finding with original Porsche brakes?  Cheaper alternatives to those fitted at Porsche Centres should be fine - if the pads are at least to the same specification.  Why would anyone bother with the crazy cost of ceramic brake discs?  Less unsprung weight, but easily damaged by careless wheel fitting and worn too quickly on tracks.  

On 4/1/2018 at 07:57, FLAT STICK said:

Ye it is but a fraction of the price, I got the pads from Euro Parts who price matched then beat Car parts by a few ££, Got to be worth a look before buying any consumable parts.

Dean 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-pads

Yes, I know CP4L are cheaper; I've been using them for years.  Just some info for those who may not know. :12_slight_smile:

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

Yes, I know CP4L are cheaper; I've been using them for years.  Just some info for those who may not know. :12_slight_smile:

Have never heard of them b4 the other week, have been telling loads of people.

Dean

I swear by Ferodo DS2500 compound pads in all my cars (I also use Ferodo Xrac pads on my RR7 HRC Fireblade motorcycle)

Got them on my 308 bhp Zed & MK Indyblade kit car

Not as aggressive as the 3000 compound "race" pads but a good crossover fast road/track pad

The standard cross-drilled discs are a little rubbish imo & I'm considering upgrading to dimpled & grooved discs instead http://kinetixbrakes.co.uk/brake_porsche.html

I also only use DOT 5.1 fluid

https://www.larkspeed.com/category/view/DS2500PORSCHE/Ferodo-DS2500-Pads-Porsche-

Edited by Mavrik

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks lads.. pad wear light came on this week so I've bought ferrodo ds2500   might change fronts to the same before I go to ring in July  thanks for input everyone 

@Gazwaz

I used my Ferodo DS2500 pads with the Kinetix dimpled & grooved discs that I recently fitted, along with DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Performed faultlessly at Brands Indy last week ?

When inremived pads I noticed discs were worn.. so new brembo discs ordered.. 

All ready for nurburgring trip in July 

Ferodo DS2500 are all right.  But wear quickly under hard braking.  Modulation, feel and wear nowhere near as good as Carbotech.  (I am not a salesman for Carbotech, simply found them to be unsurpassed for track and road use).  If car is not used on track, just stick to standard pads - or equivalent.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some Ferodo DS2500 pads fitted. From memory when they are on you can't have pad wear sensor fitted at the same time? on the front at least.