Newish owner questions

Hi all,

Recently got a 987.2 in black. Been dreaming about owning one for years and I feel so damn lucky to call this mine! Been reading the forum for a while, but still have a few questions.

Does anyone find the fastest intermittent wiper speed too slow?

Can I get recommendations on which H8 bulbs to get for the fogs? I have ordered the LED bulbs from the 'crap headlights' topic.

First gear (particularly in the cold) can be difficult to get in, OPC tells me this is characteristic. Any opinions on this?

Thanks 

Re 1st gear - i find there is so much torque even low down the revs in 2nd that I don’t change down unless I have come to a stop, or if I’ve come to a crawl at a giveway junction - I.e.  <1000 rpm / 10 mph. 

Yeah 1st and 2nd can both be a bit agricultural when cold. The synchros have a harder time on those gears than the others. Trick is don’t ever force them in,  nurse them in to the gate until warm. I do a bit of rev matching and double declutching to make it easier until it’s warm. 

I suppose it's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one having issues with first. I find it easier to put it into third or fourth and then trying first when I initially get into the car on a cold day. 

@Bushman could you please recommend a fog light bulb. Your LED headlight bulbs were spot on! 

Thanks all

10 hours ago, Bushman said:

try this

eBay item number:

Nighteyes. H11/8/9 6000k 100w fog light LED bulbs

Ordered! Thanks for the help. 

Agree all the points above. I will ask about a headlight upgrade next time it goes in. As for torque - yes its amazing. I am used to various V8s but the torque from the Porsche is an equal and its so damn quiet at low speed I can never be sure what gear I should be in!!

An incredibly satisfying car to drive! I am so looking forward to taking it over to the Isle of Man next week for the Isle of Man Classic - no competing - yet!!

SimonP

torque and porsche ? now there is 2 words never to be used in the same sentence.........the secret to po has always been to rev da snot outta every gear and hope you get to a turn first ............... 

• Founder
3 hours ago, extanker said:

torque and porsche ? now there is 2 words never to be used in the same sentence.........the secret to po has always been to rev da snot outta every gear and hope you get to a turn first ............... 

Depends what you’re comparing to, shed loads of torque compared to a V-tech, naff all compared to a turbocharged V8 ;) 

987S is not far off the M3s of the era, e46 was a shade lower, e90 a shade higher.  Given its weight I don’t think it misses out much to be honest, probably better either on track.