Air con

Air con problem,

ive got pressure and the condensers are ok. No fuses blown and there’s no voltage to the air con pump . Would it be a faulty relay ? And does anyone know where it is ??!!

A couple of weeks ago my aircon just didn’t work (no fan, no cooling, nowt). No previous issues, it was working the day before, and I’d had an aircon service at RPM Technik only in January. 

It was on full auto mode and I’d set the temp to ‘low’. 

I parked the car up, turned off, locked up and did some stuff in town, came back restarted and hey presto - aircon working fine, icy blast and no problems since. 

Have you ‘rebooted’ yours as it were? Sometimes I think these cars just throw a wobbly (all the ones and zeros get mixed up on the CANBUS) and need an ON/OFF reset. 

Similar happened with the stereo on my PCM sometime

last year. 

Jason

when you say you have no power to the air com pump, do you mean the power to the solenoid drive clutch  that engages the pump?. Not sure that Porsches arnt permanently driven with no clutch .if they have and are like other Bosch systems, then yes it is relay driven as this draws a large current. I don't know where this is located though, mainly I think because Ive never heard about one that has failed. My first check point would be get in the drivers footwell with a torch and check out all of the fuses in the kick panel. there should be a legend inside the lid and plenty of on-line info to help..

not much help but welcome to the OC anyway.

I did originally buy a self recharging gas kit as there was no pressure in the air con.it has dropped again overnight.

I thought It would still at least fire up the aircon pump or does it need to be done professionally is there any sort of pressure switch that needs to activate when it's turned on ? Fuses were all ok and air con symbol comes on the display so I assume the button is working ok.

sounds like you need to get a vacuum test done. most places I know do this anyway as part of a recharge anyway as you have to put the entire system under vacuum then suck a known weight of liquefied gas back in to recharge it,  rather then forcing gas in under pressure. I don't believe  its expensive either, about £30 from menory

The hard-lines in the front right of the engine bay had started to go at the joint on mine.  There's an o-ring in each line that goes hard over time, the joint then doesn't compress them, and they then leak.  Mine was fairly obvious due to the lubricant oil leaking out at that point, I think they're usually covered by the small undertray at the front of the engine, but it might be worth sticking your head under to have a look...

They were number 18 and 19 in the below.

image.png.df62b389c520a041618761c1a5726070.png

Would also say the bolts were a pain, there was enough galvanic corrosion for me to have to cut, and drill out the bolts.

There are plenty of reputable garages that do "Air Con" service... Chances are you have a leak in the condenser or at the joints... A decent air con service centre will pressurize the system - inject die etc to determine any issues using a UV light etc.

The place I use locally charges around £70 for a full air con service inc evac & refill with fresh refrigerant gas & lubricating oil etc etc...

• Like 1