PDK without Sport Chrono?

I've been looking for a 987.2 Cayman S for a while now and I've seen a nice one with lots of good options but most notably it's a PDK with PASM but without Sport Chrono. Now I've been in Caymans and experienced Sport Chrono modes and as much as I'm sure I wouldn't use the modes all the time I'm pretty sure I would use them occasionally for a bit of fun. So my question is, other than using the manual shift buttons or stick, how much does the normal PDK box automatically change it's gear shift points with spirited driving? Or more simply put, can I replicate anything like the SC mode without it?

Cheers

The Sport/Sport Plus buttons make a huge difference.  Sport allows a higher rev limit and increases throttle response.  Sport Plus is the same as Sport but also dials back PSM, changes gear notably faster and increases midrange torque.  SP is more for the track than the road.

It would come down to whether the car is always in its sporty mode or always in "normal" mode, for me.  I wouldn't enjoy driving the car in a spirited fashion if the Sport button wasn't around.

Yes, basically I'm asking, would PDK owners miss their Sport Chrono modes if they didn't have it.

6 minutes ago, maczi said:

Yes, basically I'm asking, would PDK owners miss their Sport Chrono modes if they didn't have it.

I wouldn't buy a Cayman without it, personally.  (PDK CR owner)

In my opinion, unless you're going on track with the car you will probably not miss Sport Plus, but you probably would miss Sport. For ordinary road use I'd rather have Sport and PASM rather than Sport Plus.

I have a PDK 718 with Chrono.

Would I miss Chrono if it was not fitted? Probably not.

It is a nice gadget to have, is good for showing off and the overtake button works really well, but I use it so rarely when driving normally that I will never get the full value for money out of it unless I am doing a lot of track days.

Edited by Malcolm E Cay

Sports , sports plus, all very good on paper, the reality is the sports plus setting gives an un expectable ride off the track,

and on the track if you leave the car in “ auto” and sports plus and allow the car to change up and down while you concentrate keeping the correct line,

and learn the track, the  pdk sometimes “ short shifts” mid bend causing the car to become  un balanced,

I appreciate that on a track “ auto “ mode is not the right way to go, but realistically I am just an average driver, that wants to have some fun, and not re model my car via the crash barriers, 

so summing up,  yes sports chrono is great kudos if it on a car , but to turn down a good used example because it has not got the option 

would not be the right thing to do.

Rather than getting it retrofitted I  the SprintBooster way with its 18 modes for your driving pleasure.

Had my first extended run, SW London to North Wales over the weekend. Astounded by what a difference £200 and 15 minutes of you upside-down,  swearing at your footwell makes.

Press that button and the suddenly you're driving a car that feels how you always 'thought' it would feel? 

I don't ever turn it off, but also never feel the need to go beyond Green:6 and Red (Race Mode) is terrifying and doesn't feel legal ;)

• Like 1

from what i have read from the sprint booster sales pitch is a really more responsive [touchy] gas pedal........they are not clear on a firmed up shift . I passed on it years ago because of these issues ....to be clear...it does not add any torque which is what these cars desperately need 

4 hours ago, extanker said:

from what i have read from the sprint booster sales pitch is a really more responsive [touchy] gas pedal........they are not clear on a firmed up shift . I passed on it years ago because of these issues ....to be clear...it does not add any torque which is what these cars desperately need 

IPD plenum + GT3 throttle body + Softronic map = no more midrange flatspot. :) 

• Founder
4 hours ago, extanker said:

No, it doesn’t.  But it does remove the flat spot and the dead patch on the throttle and it livens up throttle response better than sport chrono does.  Transformed my car.  

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

No, it doesn’t.  But it does remove the flat spot and the dead patch on the throttle and it livens up throttle response better than sport chrono does.  Transformed my car.  

In my experience, this is usually achieved by disjointing commanded throttle % and the actual % enacted on the pedal.  Tuners that use EcuTek software would attest to this on a variety of cars.

For example, you press the throttle 5% but the commanded throttle that the ECU sees is 7%.  It gives the illusion of increased response when it's actually increasing throttle movement for the given pedal travel.  I suspect the Sprint Booster behaves in much the same way.  The same illusion is perceived when fitting a larger bore throttle body, as another example.  Except that in the BBTB case the same throttle movement results in a larger volume of air but the perception is the same.