Engine Rebuilders

Can anyone recommend someone to rebuild my engine, 3.4s 2006 so yes it smokes on startup i have replaced the air oil separator last week but have not been able to drive it just start it and warm it due to a clutch starting to fail/ judder but still smokes on start, does it need a good clear out or would the fix be instant ?

my situation is that the clutch has started to slip and im looking to have that replaced but thought maybe

its time for a re build ....OR do i get the clutch done for now £300-£500 as i have the parts and wait until winter and have the rebuild done ?

Back to the engine, i have had quotes from £3.5k to £9k and all quite varied on what is replaced,

i live in Hertfordshire / Buckingham borders 

i have also got new manifolds to put on and looking for a cat back system to add to this (any recommendations sub £800)

thanks all

• Administrators

Certainly give the guys at RPM Technik a call and tell them we recommended you, they are really very good.  They are also quite local to you too.  

Speak to Greig in the first instance, but he'll refer you to the workshop guys I imagine.  

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk 

i spoke to Ollie there today and had a quote through for a rebuild best part of £9k as they only replace all liners problem is I only paid £10K for the car.....

I have spoken to they guys at ams Porsche in kimpton and they came back with a very competitive price at £3.5K plus liners that are needed etc 

has anyone used these guys ?

• Platinum Member

£3.5k is about right for a base engine rebuild, but yes then add the cost of the liners and other parts required and it'll soon become a 5-6k build.  

• Founder

Welcome to Porsches ownership.  Car might have only cost you £10k, but it's not a 'cheap' car to buy new, or run secondhand.  

First of all, how do you know you need an engine rebuild?  Have you had the cylinders scoped?  If so was there scoring present?  If the car has been sitting around not driven and smokes on start-up each time then i'm not surprised, thats what flax-6 Porsches do.  It needs to be driven before you begin that diagnosis.  

Have you spoken to the other reputable indys, like Paragon, JZM, Hartech, NineExcellence?  See what they say and what quotes they offer and go from there.  

Ollie's advices is sensible to honest, if you've got the engine out and apart then replacing all the liners is a sensible idea, you'd be pissed if you replaced no.3 cylinder and 12 months later no.5 went.  

Are you keeping the car long term?  If the answer is yes, then invest the cash and get it done properly.  If the answer is no, then beware a potential new owner will ask why you skimped on an engine rebuild and likely walk away.  

Thanks for your comments guys, yes im aware cars cost money (i also own a range rover) i also have a vac hose off that may not be helping (see other thread)

up until the clutch i was driving it regularly and it smokes like hell from start for about 2 mins then it clears there is nothing when driving, and thats it clear for the day unless its left a few hours then you get a tiny bit of smoke for about 30sec

however as i stated before ive only run it standing since the AOS replacement due to the clutch needing attention. are we thinking i should just get clutch done and carry on diagnosis ??

thanks again for your time

• Founder

Take it in for the clutch, drive it and see how you get on for the summer months.  What mileage has the engine done out of interest?

I had a look at the vacuum hose thread, I have to say i'm stumped.  Without looking at a similar to compare I can't help - i'm sure a helpful member will offer though.  

I would get a professional opinion if I was uncertain myself.  Book it in to get the clutch sorted somewhere reputable and ask their thoughts on the smoking when you drop it off.  

Other than that, it's just light smoking and I wouldn't bother, personally.  Edit: what colour is the smoke...?

Edited by Aaron

My previous 2.9 gen2 had a smoke on start up problem, it smoked for a few seconds not minutes. That all started at about 55k miles, at about 75k miles I had a new AOS fitted and started using slightly thicker oil and this reduced but did not eliminate the smoke. On looking inside the old AOS I could see that the diaphragm was undamaged but there was a lot of oil residue on both the crankcase and inlet manifold sides. I only did a few hundred miles after changing the AOS and then sold the car but I did wonder whether there was still an oil residue inside the inlet manifold which caused the smoke and that perhaps cleaning the manifold might have eliminated the problem. I never had to top up the oil between services and it didn't smoke while being driven.

I would replace the clutch. It needs doing anyway. Take it on a long run. Couple of hundred miles. See if the AOS was the issue. If you still have a oil burning issue decide on next course of action. Bore inspection?

Have you noticed the oil consumption increase? Smoking alone isn’t a good diagnosis for scoring. They’re all different and can smoke at weird times anyway.  If it’s starting to score eventually you’ll see the oil use increase. They don’t detonate sudddenly with scoring so you’ll have time anyway to save up, think about it and do the maths. Doesn’t get any better but it’s not like first sign of scoring and it’ll be  undriveable. 

I’d get a boroscope (with a place that can tell scoring from normal cylinder marks). Get the clutch done and then see how it goes. Keep an eye on the oil useage.

Edited by Buggyjam