remap

workaverse

Hello all, have a 2006 manual cayman which I am enjoying, considering getting a remap from DMS automotive, any thoughts? I am hoping it won't affect reliability and will give a bit more oomph.

Also any thoughts on replacing the pcm 2 head unit (I have sat nav etc) with a new modern head unit for blue tooth etc?

Hi, welcome.  ??

You would be wasting your money with a remap on a standard car - forget all the claims these companies make it might change the character of the engine but performance wise it won’t change by any tangible amount.  If you’re changing exhausts, intakes, IPD etc etc then it would be justifiable to then have it re-mapped, but not before.  To extract even an extra 30hp from these engines would require £1,000’s to be spent.  

Edited by Trickle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trickle said:

Hi, welcome.  ??

You would be wasting your money with a remap on a standard car - forget all the claims these companies make it might change the character of the engine but performance wise it won’t change by any tangible amount.  If you’re changing exhausts, intakes, IPD etc etc then it would be justifiable to then have it re-mapped, but not before.  To extract even an extra 30hp from these engines would require £1,000’s to be spent.  

^^^ this says it all

Thanks both. I take it you haven’t done it? A friend had one and had it done and really said it made a difference so I’m struggling to rationalise this. Think will leave it for now. Shame as quite fancied a 2 hr blast to southampton and the car just feels like a bit more power would not go amiss!

• Founder

Welcome to the OC! 

I’d agree, remap on the NA flat6 is pointless unless you’ve invested in breathing and intake already.  

Be interesting to understand the proving difference it made to your friends car? Was it done on a before/after basis on a rolling road? 

Hi,  as luck would have it, I had a DMS remap carried out last December, a week after Carnewal GT exhaust and air filter upgrades. All together it's made a material difference via the "Butt Dyno" as some call it.  Re outputs, the DMS dyno report  (all numbers  based on at the flywheel, which requires a multiplier I believe when using  "rolling road"  equipment), seemed a bit "optimistic" so I took it with a pinch of salt...but was always curious. I went to Regal Sport this week and they put my 57 reg S through 3 runs on their dyno...fair to say I was happy with the "at the wheel" numbers, compared to the standard spec output (manufacturers quote the flywheel bhp I believe).  Private msg me, happy to share my thoughts.

On 25/09/2018 at 16:20, workaverse said:

Hello all, have a 2006 manual cayman which I am enjoying, considering getting a remap from DMS automotive, any thoughts? I am hoping it won't affect reliability and will give a bit more oomph.

Also any thoughts on replacing the pcm 2 head unit (I have sat nav etc) with a new modern head unit for blue tooth etc?

Perhaps you should of gone for an s rather than the standard car

On 25/09/2018 at 16:34, Trickle said:

Hi, welcome.  ??

Exactly this. I went to a Porsche Club GB technical seminar that was entirely based around the 987. In relation to getting more power, the only way to get any significant improvement is to improve the airflow - but both in and out, as said above.

Cheers,

Bryan

• Like 1

I think I got around 12-15 WHP extra on my CR with an IPD plenum, GT3 throttle body and Softronic remap.  It's about £2100 for that increase (providing you can fit the parts yourself).  This is on a 987.2 though, where the plenum swap is the whole plenum - not just the plenum around the intake butterfly valve that you'd be changing on a gen 1.

The mods did eliminate the midrange flat spot, though, and that was worth it to me.  If your ideal is the turbocharged remap that gets 30-50 HP extra; I'm afraid it's just a pipe dream with a 987.

I can't see an IPD doing too much on a non-S gen 1 with a map.  I'd save for an S instead, personally (if you don't have one - it's not clear from this thread).

On 26/09/2018 at 19:01, Beanoir said:

I thought this was a discussion about an S... ?

I cant see anywhere that he said its an S all it says a cayman which i presume is a standard car but i could be wrong

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I cant see anywhere that he said its an S all it says a cayman which i presume is a standard car but i could be wrong

Process of elimination.  OP said “2006 Cayman” - the Cayman S was launched in 2005 and the 2.7 Base Cayman was not launched until 2007 :) 

It also says Cayman S in his profile but you won’t see that if you’re using a mobile browser.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Process of elimination.  OP said “2006 Cayman” - the Cayman S was launched in 2005 and the 2.7 Base Cayman was not launched until 2007 :) 

It also says Cayman S in his profile but you won’t see that if you’re using a mobile browser.  

Ok what ever he has if he wants more ooomph he wont get it just with a remap,he`ll need to spend a shed load to accomplish what he wants

2 hours ago, PMGPete said:

I've just had my 2.7 mapped, I'm running intakes and a tubi exhaust.

I was actually quite shocked at how much of a difference it made, maybe not much I'm terms of numbers but definitely in terms of driveability.

My car absolutely spanks my mates 996 Carrera 2 now

Any dyno numbers to share? eg before the intakes/exhaust work, then after the aforementioned work, then after the remap?

Never had it dyno'd.  I only mapped it as I've got my business involved with a tuning company that offered it for free as a demo.  I really wasn't expecting to notice much of a difference to be honest but thought I had nothing to loose trying it out.  It's about the same feeling again as it was over stock when I added exhausts and intake, it also pops and crackles a little more on over run now too :)

Edited by PMGPete
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2018 at 16:20, workaverse said:

Is this like to Softronic remap?

Can you choose permanent ON for more responsive throttle, PSM and ABS higher intervention threshold and consisntent power to redline?

On 26/09/2018 at 20:40, Aaron said:

I think I got around 12-15 WHP extra on my CR with an IPD plenum, GT3 throttle body and Softronic remap.  It's about £2100 for that increase (providing you can fit the parts yourself).  This is on a 987.2 though, where the plenum swap is the whole plenum - not just the plenum around the intake butterfly valve that you'd be changing on a gen 1.

The mods did eliminate the midrange flat spot, though, and that was worth it to me.  If your ideal is the turbocharged remap that gets 30-50 HP extra; I'm afraid it's just a pipe dream with a 987.

I can't see an IPD doing too much on a non-S gen 1 with a map.  I'd save for an S instead, personally (if you don't have one - it's not clear from this thread).

Did the softronic allowed you to have better throttle response, higher psm intervention threshold and power down to last rpms?