Doug's Gen 2 987 Cayman S

Dougle_turbo

42 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Thanks  @Andrea!

I have put some packers into the existing radiator bracket that should now channel the air out of the smile vent. It's a bit of a bodge, but I'm hoping it'll work (I'll take some photos.)

I have gone for -3 all round for the camber under the recommendation of Chris @ Center Gravity. The car is running adjustable LCAs and toe control arms all round, I'll see how it goes. Chris will dial it back for me if it's a little loose under braking.

I would trust Chris indeed, one thing that helps on hard breaking is whether you have a good limited slip differential or not. 

Vent suits - your car particularly - a treat. Looks like it grew there.....

**Hope you manage to get to use your new hardware to good effect an an "event" of some sort fairly soon 👌

On 16/04/2020 at 16:45, Andrea said:

I would trust Chris indeed, one thing that helps on hard breaking is whether you have a good limited slip differential or not. 

LSD is next on the list!

On 17/04/2020 at 18:20, sevenfourate said:

Vent suits - your car particularly - a treat. Looks like it grew there.....

**Hope you manage to get to use your new hardware to good effect an an "event" of some sort fairly soon 👌

Thanks Steve - very happy with how it's turned out.

Elephant are proper game! 

Did you find them used or brand new? As they are quite expensive there are alternatives such as Eibach and hem GT3 LCA+shimms. 

Again, stunning motor Dougle, you'll be able to lap very quick now!!

I was able to find them secondhand, and then had them all rebuilt at CoG. The front end has been running the Elephant arms and Eurocup GT arms since August, with the rear staying standard - now the rear has the refurbished arms (Chris at CoG sorted them out) + Elephant adjustable toe arms (brand new 😬) along with the H+R anti roll bar front and rear. For those wondering I had to instal the adjustable toe arms because once you go over the stand max camber, the doesn't have enough adjustment in it.  The Car is running the standard PASM shocks.

Can't wait to try it out on track.

Edited by Dougle_turbo

What I thought.....normally they are extremely expensive parts (except BBi, they are even more expensive ahah). 

At the front you shouldn't need any new adjustable toe arms but yes at the rear you easily max out the stock ones and therefor you need something else. The guy running String Theories next door Caffeine&Machine sells  good value for money sets, but too late since you've bought them already! 

I think I'll go with Tarett instead. 

Another lockdown update - Oil temp gauge.

So I have been able to get an oil temperature gauge up and running on the car. I was able to use the tap in point in one of the head oil galleries, and once warmed up the gauge is reading around 10 degrees higher than the on board oil temp via Durametric pro. I need to do some on road testing but I'm happy to have a 10% error margin. I may be able to improve the accuracy further with a ground lead from the sender to earth. Now that's done I will trial an oil pressure gauge running from an existing oil gallery in the other head. Once that is tested and working I need to get them mounted. I think the only option is on top of the existing instrument binnacle. So I need to purchase a spare one to get the wiring plumed in and out of sight and the pops securely screwed down. 

Interestingly our speedo cluster has the exact same same connector as the 997 unit (which has oil temp and pressure). I'm going to source a cheap set of 997 gauges and see if I can get the oil temp and pressure working on that. From what I can see the senders for both pressure and temp are the same on the 987+997 so hopefully it will just require the right coding/settings in durametric. If it does work, the main problem will be getting the 997 gauges to fit the dashboard - from what I can see one would have to precisely drill the dashboard so the extra gauges fit. Carefully planned and executed it could be done to look stock, but it's a big shout! It's also worth mentioning that I think this would only work on Gen 2 cars, as the sensors on the Gen 1 cars are different.

Anyway here's a quick video of the oil temp up and running:

Good effort on the oil temp gauge. I was thinking of doing similar on mine at some stage and mounting on the dash where sports chrono clock would go assuming a bezel could be sourced.

9 hours ago, crafty1 said:

Good effort on the oil temp gauge. I was thinking of doing similar on mine at some stage and mounting on the dash where sports chrono clock would go assuming a bezel could be sourced.

I had that thought too. The bezels can be sourced fairly easily. Perhaps I should have gone for a dual oil temp and pressure gauge and mounted it there. If I already had sport chrono that's definitely the route I would have gone down.

Edited by Dougle_turbo

15 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Sourced an OEM White centre console. I think it's really improved the cabin.

IMG_20200429_135943.jpg

Looks great Dougle 😍👍🏻

Where’d you source it from? I was thinking it’d be a couple of hundred to get my original black one painted up and removing the console isn’t that hard (did it when I thought my gear linkage cable had snapped last year). To buy a pre-painted one from OPC is £1500!

quoted price from OPC silverstone last year:

99755398064B9A - Rear Centre Console Trim Carrera White - £1496.02

needless to say I decline the offer... 😉

Holy crap, I didn't realise they were that much!

This was sourced from a crash damaged car - £150!

@sevenfourate has had his done recently. I think the tricky bit is removing the rubberised finish. I was going to spray my own one (I've recently started spraying so not 100% on finish). But this seemed good value.

23 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Holy crap, I didn't realise they were that much!

This was sourced from a crash damaged car - £150!

£150 is a steal, well done you 👍🏻

Ridiculous amounts to buy as spares (eBay etc) in terms of buying one to refinish while you still use your current one. And what chance of selling the old one then ?

Hence mine was a winter job.....

Edited by sevenfourate

On 29/04/2020 at 16:52, Dougle_turbo said:

I might be tempted to spray this one up for someone on hear and sell at a reasonable cost. Maybe it can pay for my new side scoops! 🤣

PM sent 😉