Door speakers, replace or not.

Hi guys, hopefully over the winter months I’ll changing out the Porsche head unit possibly for A Dynavin head unit or something with the same functionality ( may be Alpine, pioneer  etc) I currently have sound system plus with separate amp in front boot and two door speakers. My question is how good are the Porsche speakers ? I didn’t want to start messing with removing door cards ( already replaced a window regulator and didn’t enjoy it ) so I’m trying to avoid it at all costs if I can.  Will it be worth keeping the existing speakers or should I change them out as a matter of course . Any advise from you audio gurus out there most welcome, 

cheers.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:51, Bushman said:

if you are changing speakers, I would also change the speaker wires, old copper wiring goes high resistant over time. you can spend hundreds on decent punchy speakers from the likes of Harmon, Infinity, Fusion etc and strangle the capability with crap wiring. look at oxygen free alternatives. Just my opinion though.

Thanks Bushman, I would agree about changing speaker cable if spending a large amount on audio equipment but I would say at my age I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference ( think I may have just answered my first post above :)  )

20 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Change the head unit first and see how it sounds with the original speakers. 9 times out of 10 upgrading low powered OEM headunits with a decent after market unit will make a big difference in how the original speakers will sound from driving them with a better amplified source.  

Thanks Beanoir, kinda bolstered up my original thoughts. Will fit head unit and see how things pan out from there. 

I would say you defo need to change the speakers... I fitted a Pioneer DVD head unit & was shocked to find that the standard door speakers & dash tweeters were the pony "paper" type.

I fitted Infinity Reference components in my S paired with an underseat Kenwood Sub & using new OFC cabling... The sound is epic now!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavrik said:

I would say you defo need to change the speakers... I fitted a Pioneer DVD head unit & was shocked to find that the standard door speakers & dash tweeters were the pony "paper" type.

I fitted Infinity Reference components in my S paired with an underseat Kenwood Sub & using new OFC cabling... The sound is epic now!!

Mavrik, did you originally have “sound system plus” if so, is the Kenwood Sub powered from amp in front boot  or directly from your head unit ? 

23 hours ago, Mavrik said:

No... I had the bog standard system but even the system plus has pony ASK speakers IIRC

Ok thanks Mavrik, like the idea of sub under seat, but for now I’m just starting with head unit only and will see ( or hear ) how all turns out.

@Maxheadroom

My Kenwood underseat sub is a powered active version... Plugs into the sub phono port on my Pioneer headunit

It's not the loudest @150w peak but I'm no teenage boy racer... It does give a bit more punch to the bass at around 80hz though!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Underseat-Subwoofer-Radiator/dp/B00BO8O9XQ

11 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@Maxheadroom

My Kenwood underseat sub is a powered active version... Plugs into the sub phono port on my Pioneer headunit

It's not the loudest @150w peak but I'm no teenage boy racer... It does give a bit more punch to the bass at around 80hz though!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Underseat-Subwoofer-Radiator/dp/B00BO8O9XQ

Hmmm, that looks like a possible option, how did you manage to secure the sub to floor ? And how much clearance is there between it and bottom of seat ? Kinda like this idea 

4 hours ago, Mat_C said:

Imagine you can just velcro it down.

This did actually cross my mind afterwards Mat_C, simplest and easiest option me thinks :) guessing as the Kenwood sub mentioned above is not to powerful its shouldn’t ( hopefully ) be a problem. 

On 02/11/2018 at 20:24, Maxheadroom said:

Hmmm, that looks like a possible option, how did you manage to secure the sub to floor ? And how much clearance is there between it and bottom of seat ? Kinda like this idea 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I used the heavy duty 3m Velcro but mounted vertically against the rear bulkhead (not a lot of space actually under the seat)

• Like 1

In my experience with ICE, changing the speakers (using OFC) makes more of a difference than changing the head unit...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Happy times, look what the nice mrs delivery lady dropped off yesterday. Old head unit already out so maybe get round to fitting this week end, looks reasonably simple to install just the microphone, GPS antena and DAB Ariel cables to install. The only thing I’m not to sure of is the two orange optical connections ? Thought they were for the Bose upgrade ( MOST etc), The Dynavin is packaged with a MOST adapter but my audio system is “ sound system plus”  so a little confused. Anyone out there that could shed some light on this please. Guessing that just connect optical inputs to MOST adapter and then connect Most adapter to head unit with supplied cable loom ? 

3B72930D-C442-4C1F-99C9-DC2050DF0CFB.jpeg

8E89BC57-9140-4946-8030-7FA7B520A4F2.jpeg

Looks good, the stock radio is appalling.

as an aside question does anyone know the dimensions of the sound package plus amp under the pax seat? I don't want to take it out until really but I'd like to know what you can fit in its place...