987.1 suspect headgasket

Hey all, got an 07 S and i think ive got the start of headgasket failure, my oil is going down after a couple weeks and so is coolant. I had a sweet smell in the cabin a couple times. But i started up today and had a heavey miss fire. Blipped the throttle and really pronounced. So let it just tick over and the miss fire went. I moved the car and left it ticking over again. Turned it off and could smell a strong sweet smell. Am i right in thinking it is a headgasket?

Inspect the oil/coolant and see if they are mixing.  A compression test will also give a good indication.

The sweet smell will be burning coolant.

It does sound like HGF to me, based on your symptoms. 

some times one can smell the anti-freeze in the exhaust even in the cabin.......but i agree with you that MUCH more professional testing needs to be done before the wrenches come out on the motor . If he is suddenly losing oil and coolant without dripping on the ground it points to burning ergo internal 

there is a water cooled oil cooler on the front of the engine and I know from a mates 986 Poxster with over-heating issues these fail and give the same symptoms. not sure if its the same item on the 987 ( a VW part I believe)

Just to update, missfire hasnt been again, its going in for a health check on saturday (paid for a warranty through motoreasy), so will get a free health check, due to no visual leaks, im gonna speak to them in like a week and say my coolant has gone down, pay £50 and get them to send it to porsche to diagnose lol

Daft question, but is the expansion tank lid easy enough to get to? Cos im thinking could be something as simple as the seal has failed on it, and speaking with a porsche dealer about 1l of oil is used every 600 to 1000miles

Mine has only used 1/3 litre in 7000 MLS . When I spoke to mechanic at Ashgood he told me that they only really use oil if you track them hard.  I have read the cap can fail on coolant top up and also if you over fill you will get coolant smell in cabin.

• Thanks 1