MICHELLIN

Is Michelin still the go to tire?  I'm on pilot sport and due for a change soon.  How's the PS4S?

Also, what's with the N rating for Porsche tires?  The PS4S doesn't have an N rating.  

Thanks.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

I think once you are out of warranty it doesnt matter not having N rated tyres, but TBH they are not a lot more than others, so you  may as well have what Porsche have tested and approved.

• Like 1

• Founder

I would always go for the more modern tyre (PS4S) than take the older tyre (MPS2 or MPSS) if the car was no longer in Porsche warranty.  The PS4S is a huge step up in performance over the MPS2 

I just realised that the ps4s starts at 19. I'm still running stock 18s and don't intend to go with 19s.

Is the PS4 good?

Also, the ps4 doesn't come in 265.. only 255 for the years... a significant loss in grip?

I don't track, some spirited driving and some b road drives.  Wet handling is important as it pours when it rains here.

Thanks in advance to the gurus.

Agree with above, nothing wrong with the PS4 as such, but there is a big difference between the PS4 and the PS4S/MPSS 

PS - happy birthday Spannerman!!  🍻

Thanks. Didn't even think about the ss.

So again in sizing, Porsche prescribes 235 40 for the front.. SS comes only in 245. This is ok I'm guessing?

Happy birthday spannerman!

Edited by Liongolfer

You'd have a different tyre height if you went with a 245/40 (the 40 is a percentage of the width).  

I'd almost be tempted to go with PS2, there aren't many options for the 18" wheels 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DKR_77 said:

You'd have a different tyre height if you went with a 245/40 (the 40 is a percentage of the width).  

I'd almost be tempted to go with PS2, there aren't many options for the 18" wheels 

Perhaps... That's what I have now.  There's someone selling a used set of 19 inch turbo rims.  Maybe I should go with that and just go for the ps4s... reviews rave about it and says it's a big step up over the SS in ride quality and in the wet.  The latter is very important for me.

• Founder

If you can move up to a 19" wheel then you'd have a much better tyre choice.  

I've got the PS4 on my Impreza (best I can get for a 17" wheel) and they are good, but not a patch on the MPSS I had on the CR.  

2 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

If you can move up to a 19" wheel then you'd have a much better tyre choice.  

I've got the PS4 on my Impreza (best I can get for a 17" wheel) and they are good, but not a patch on the MPSS I had on the CR.  

Yeah... the turbo 19 rims will fit ok on my 987.2S?

4 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

I just realised that the ps4s starts at 19. I'm still running stock 18s and don't intend to go with 19s.

Is the PS4 good?

Also, the ps4 doesn't come in 265.. only 255 for the years... a significant loss in grip?

I don't track, some spirited driving and some b road drives.  Wet handling is important as it pours when it rains here.

Thanks in advance to the gurus.

I've got PS4 on the front of my CS (18" rims hence no PS4S option), I went overwidth 245/40's , XL, previously had old N rated Pilot Sport which the car came with. Personally, I've found the PS4 a step up from the original fronts, and they do a couple of track days each year too. Not as good as PS4S I'm sure, but still a very good tyre. I have overwidth rears too (275/40 on Super Sports....long story...), which has also worked well. 

2 hours ago, Beanoir said:

I’m not sure you’ll get an 11” wheel on the rear... 

Agreed....you'll need one helluva spacer most likely....my rear Fuch's are 18*10 (cant remember the offset, but similar to those mentioned), and needed 16mm rear spacers

4 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@Liongolfer I'm selling a set of 245/40/18 & 265/40/18 part worn Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres (MPSS) Loads of tread as I've upgraded to track focused tyres...

Thanks for the offer but shipping half way around the globe will be crazy