Sebro slotted performance discs (rear)

Ordered some of the sebro slotted ‘performance’ rear discs from CP4L back in early Feb, still not received them and been informed they can no longer obtain them (presumably from sebro). 

These (987.2 S):
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Porsche_Cayman_3.4_2010/p/car-parts/brake-friction/car-brakes/brake-discs/?104337652&1&0c9107aa39dd523a6e8aba19ab15f8c990d10cde&000027

Anyone bought any of these recently? From where?

I've heard the grooved or dimpled & grooved discs perform better than the full cross drilled style:35_thinking:

Apparently stress cracks can develop around the drill holes on cross drilled discs...

I have dimpled & grooved Kinetix on my 350z GT HR...

• Like 1

@Windymiller Have you thought about Kinetix discs instead? I have them on the front of my S1 & front/rear of my 350z GT HR & they are decent on track...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dd94-For-Porsche-Cayman-3-4-08-12-Rear-Drilled-Grooved-Brake-Discs-Pads/372407097681?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ACayman&hash=item56b5315951:g:VqQAAOSw9mBbeVZS

Edited by Mavrik

The "stock" Sebro discs are the same parts that you'll get from Porsche.  Product code is 104330652 on CP4L.  They're pretty solid discs - I've never had an issue with them.

1 hour ago, Trickle said:

Why do you want the slotted ones?  

Hey Trickle - as per Mavricks comment, and based on some other articles I’ve read, drilled look nice and are fine for road, but can incur stress cracks from heat cycling on track. 

A number of articles ive read (not just forum opinion) suggest grooved (or even solid!) are better for track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

@Windymiller Have you thought about Kinetix discs instead? I have them on the front of my S1 & front/rear of my 350z GT HR & they are decent on track...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dd94-For-Porsche-Cayman-3-4-08-12-Rear-Drilled-Grooved-Brake-Discs-Pads/372407097681?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ACayman&hash=item56b5315951:g:VqQAAOSw9mBbeVZS

Thanks mate - after much trawling the wonderweb and reading articles, opinion etc I had set my mind on sebro slotted, so that’s what I wanted and ordered. 

May need to reconsider if they’re no longer available elsewhere... 🤔🙄

Also, I’d ordered textar pads at the same time, which have been delivered. So I’m a little reluctant to order the ‘bundle’ you’ve linked to as I’d have wasted money on the textars. 

The eBay ad doesn’t state which Mintex pads are supplied - do you know?

Edited by Windymiller

24 minutes ago, Aaron said:

The "stock" Sebro discs are the same parts that you'll get from Porsche.  Product code is 104330652 on CP4L.  They're pretty solid discs - I've never had an issue with them.

Thanks Aaron, for the reasons I’ve expressed above I had set my mind on the slotted sebros, just a case of finding some... 

13 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Hey Trickle - as per Mavricks comment, and based on some other articles I’ve read, drilled look nice and are fine for road, but can incur stress cracks from heat cycling on track. 

A number of articles ive read (not just forum opinion) suggest grooved (or even solid!) are better for track. 

You're absolutely spot on, drilled are always best for road cars (not just cosmetically).  What pads and fluid are you using? Do you do a lot of track days?  What kind of times are you running?  

1 hour ago, Trickle said:

You're absolutely spot on, drilled are always best for road cars (not just cosmetically).  What pads and fluid are you using? Do you do a lot of track days?  What kind of times are you running?  

Pads are currently just standard (textar) on standard drilled discs fr & rr. Stainless braided hoses and ATE TYP200 ‘race fluid’ just recently fitted. 

No idea of times, dare not time myself in case I start trying to ‘beat the clock’ and end up falling off the track in a fit of over enthusiasm (had a minor detour off the tarmac at Oulton Park RS day week before last... 😲😱🤪). 

But I did ‘feel’ quicker this year than last - increased confidence in car, hopefully slightly better driving by me (had some track & PEC tuition last year), and improved braking consistency and ‘stamina’ presumably from hoses and fluid change. 

Ie this year I did 10-12 lap sessions between ‘pitting’, as opposed to 5-6 last year. 

2 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Thanks Aaron, for the reasons I’ve expressed above I had set my mind on the slotted sebros, just a case of finding some... 

I would spend the extra money on more tuition and track time, personally.  It would do you better than slotted rotors which only benefit when you can push your brakes right to the limit (which an amateur driver probably shouldn't be doing).

One important aspect isn't just how fast you can go around the circuit, but how well you can look after the components of the car whilst doing so.

Just my take on the matter. :)

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

I would spend the extra money on more tuition and track time, personally.  It would do you better than slotted rotors which only benefit when you can push your brakes right to the limit (which an amateur driver probably shouldn't be doing).

One important aspect isn't just how fast you can go around the circuit, but how well you can look after the components of the car whilst doing so.

Just my take on the matter. :)

I completely agree and have tuition at every track day that I do; I’ve also been to the PEC twice for tuition and have used a guy called Neil Furber who runs a business called 7/10ths driving tuition. 

Also just ‘signed up’ for the CAT DT session with some of the other guys on here. 

All that said, and returning to my original question (whilst appreciating the various opinions of esteemed fellow caymanites), anyone recently bought sebro slotted rear discs? Where from that had them in stock?

2 hours ago, Trickle said:

Did 5 track days last year and plan to do 6-8 this year. 

Oulton Park RS day - March

PCGB Anglesey - May

Brands open pit - May

CAT DT @ Millbrook - July

PCGB Donnington - Aug

Cadwell - TBC

Bedford Autodrome ‘How Fast’ - TBC

total annual miles ~5000, of which on track ~150 per day/event. 

The rest is ‘spirited’ early Sunday morning drives (March - first signs of frosts / snow) and maybe 1 longish annual ‘cruise’ up north / Scotland to visit friends / family. 

I was tempted by the Sebro slotted rears when I upgraded all of my brakes. However in the end I decided to stick with standard rear discs (Sebro high carbon up front) and just upgrade the pads.

I've done 5K in the car and 5 track days and they are holding up well.

7 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I was tempted by the Sebro slotted rears when I upgraded all of my brakes. However in the end I decided to stick with standard rear discs (Sebro high carbon up front) and just upgrade the pads.

I've done 5K in the car and 5 track days and they are holding up well.

Hey Dougle,

The ‘high carbon’ sebro fronts - are they the performance slotted ones?  And what pads did you for in the end?

ive completely cancelled the CP4L order of the slotted rears now, and design911 no longer have them

listed either. So I’m assuming they might be completely discontinued 🤔😲☹️

Yes they are the performance slotted ones. I initially went with Ds1.11s all round but struggled with (assumed) pad deposits on the front. I've now switched to DS2500 up front and they have been great on road and track. Rear pads are still the DS1.11.

15 hours ago, Windymiller said:

"Also, I’d ordered textar pads at the same time, which have been delivered. So I’m a little reluctant to order the ‘bundle’ you’ve linked to as I’d have wasted money on the textars. 

The eBay ad doesn’t state which Mintex pads are supplied - do you know?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Windymiller You could always ping them a message & ask if they would just sell the discs on their own?

I bought my discs from these guys & the quality of the Kinetix imo is up there with the other brands... I fitted DS2500 pads all round however... I only ever run DOT 5.1 full synthetic fluid & am just about to fit my GT3 master cylinder 😄

Edited by Mavrik

2 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Yes they are the performance slotted ones. I initially went with Ds1.11s all round but struggled with (assumed) pad deposits on the front. I've now switched to DS2500 up front and they have been great on road and track. Rear pads are still the DS1.11.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DS1.11 are really a "track only" pad that work optimally with heat generated from fast lap times/heavy braking... The DS2500 however is more of a cross-over fast road/track compound...

13 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Did 5 track days last year and plan to do 6-8 this year. 

"Brands open pit - May"

@Windymiller Which date in May are you at Brands? I'm planning for the evening sessions with MSV on 23rd May (no race car evening)

1 minute ago, Mavrik said:

@Windymiller Which date in May are you at Brands? I'm planning for the evening sessions with MSV on 23rd May (no race car evening)

@Mavrik - 23rd too, during the day. Doing a charity passenger laps thing with a few other guys in various cars in aid of muscular dystrophy. Did it last year too 👍🏻

Of course assumig i havent binned the car at anglesey the wknd before 😱😲🤪😁😉

• Haha 1