About to become a Gen 2 Cayman S owner

Hi all. Quick background on my previous cars.

I have had a S2000, R32 Golf, 430 bhp stage 2 M135i and a 2.0 Zetec 190bhp Westfield. Photos to follow. 

I am now about to be a proud owner of a 2009 Basalt Black Gen 2 3.4 Porsche Cayman S and can’t wait! The garage is preparing the car, servicing detailing etc so just got to wait for it. Excitement is building!! 

Spec is:

19” Carrera Sport Wheels

PCM3 Sat Nav

Sports Suspension

Sports seats

PSM

Rear parking sensors

Heated seats

Mileage is 50k and it has full main dealer service history. I paid £24k, does that seem reasonable? Seems the going rate for a gen 2 from what I have seen online.

E7E3D397-92B4-4815-86CA-0DA2B176524F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Childsy said:

Hi all. Quick background on my previous cars.

I have had a S2000, R32 Golf, 430 bhp stage 2 M135i and a 2.0 Zetec 190bhp Westfield. Photos to follow. 

I am now about to be a proud owner of a 2009 Basalt Black Gen 2 3.4 Porsche Cayman S and can’t wait! The garage is preparing the car, servicing detailing etc so just got to wait for it. Excitement is building!! 

Spec is:

19” Carrera Sport Wheels

PCM3 Sat Nav

Sports Suspension

Sports seats

PSM

Rear parking sensors

Heated seats

Mileage is 50k and it has full main dealer service history. I paid £24k, does that seem reasonable? Seems the going rate for a gen 2 from what I have seen online.

E7E3D397-92B4-4815-86CA-0DA2B176524F.jpeg

Hi Childsy,

That's a great piece! I really like it.

I think that if it is a PDK the price is good, otherwise it seems ok. Average.

Anyway, I am pretty sure you will enjoy it a lot. I simply love it.

Cheers,

Andrea

Hi and Welcome,

Make sure you check it for the usual problems, so the dealer can fix it at their expense. Hopefully it has a good warranty.

Rattling front suspension, usually the control arms, £200 a pair plus fitting. Or sometimes top mounts.

Check the front fog lamps are perfect as they are £200 each!

Also look through the front grilles and check the aircon condensers are dry, no wet patches, they get damaged by stones, so you may want to invest in some Zunsport grilles to protect them.

Also look at the exhaust and check the brackets around the tailpipe aren't cracked and rusted.

Coolant pipes at the front can leak at the connections also.

Other than that enjoy!

Rich

Edited by GlosRich

3 minutes ago, Childsy said:

Hello, Andrea. Thank you, it’s a very nice example and I love them in black! Would love a black edition if I had that sort of cash. I will just have to make mine look like one instead. It is a PDK Cayman also so thats why price is a bit higher than a manual.

To me it sound like a bargain. In black is awesome!

Good choice

6 minutes ago, Childsy said:

Hello, Andrea. Thank you, it’s a very nice example and I love them in black! Would love a black edition if I had that sort of cash. I will just have to make mine look like one instead. It is a PDK Cayman also so thats why price is a bit higher than a manual.

If anything MANUAL cars holds the value way better than PDK.  Only few manuals were made on the Gen.2   Plenty of PDK out there hence why prices are lower....

1 minute ago, Childsy said:

I saw more Manuals than PDK examples when I was looking for some reason... The PDK is a great gearbox but I do see why the manual would be a good choice also. Hopefully I don't regret my decision.

If you search they are all PDK. Plus regardless of what 's on the market the Gen.2 is when PDK was introduced so people loved it. Manuals are just rarer cars and they all well above 27/28K mark......with just a couple of them under-priced. 

PDK is good indeed...not my choice tho! Enjoy the car, it's a beast!! 

3 minutes ago, Childsy said:

I saw more Manuals than PDK examples when I was looking for some reason... The PDK is a great gearbox but I do see why the manual would be a good choice also. Hopefully I don't regret my decision.

Yes, same experience for me. I saw lot of manual but not a lot of PDK. Probably because who bought a PDK would not sell it? 🙂

Anyway, you will not regret it. Personally I would not buy a manual anymore. The gearbox is great.

6 minutes ago, Cito said:

Yes, same experience for me. I saw lot of manual but not a lot of PDK. Probably because who bought a PDK would not sell it? 🙂

Anyway, you will not regret it. Personally I would not buy a manual anymore. The gearbox is great.

You are confusing the Gen1 with the Gen2.   95% of the Gen1 for sale are Manual indeed, 95% of the Gen2 for sale are PDK....facts. 

Hi mate, welcome. I think I recognise your user name from S2KI. Not been on here long myself. 

I'm sure you will love it, totally different kettle of fish from the S2000, not as chuckable but much more refined which was what I wanted. 

Welcome!  Basalt black is the best colour. :) Not that I'm biased or anything like that...

I daily an S2K and the Cayman is a different beast - you'll see.  Also, PDK is better than manual IMO for two simple reasons: Left foot braking and no heel & toe required.  You can concentrate on actually driving (like a go kart, for example) versus trying to do tap dancing whilst driving a car.

7 hours ago, Childsy said:

Hi buddy, yes I recognise you from the S2ki also :). How long have you owned a Cayman? I have missed my S2000 ever since I sold it and hoping this will be even more rewarding to drive 👌.

I have had my 2.7 since October last year. I didn't really want the extra cost and perhaps worry of a 3.4S.

It is no faster than my S2000 was but is much more refined which was my goal really. 

I have not long got back from my yearly Ring trip and it was epic, added bonus of arriving still relatively fresh. 

Needless to say it has much more grip than the S2000 had, even though my one was properly sorted, albeit standard. 

Good luck with yours... 

10 hours ago, Tozerman said:

I have had my 2.7 since October last year. I didn't really want the extra cost and perhaps worry of a 3.4S.

It is no faster than my S2000 was but is much more refined which was my goal really. 

I have not long got back from my yearly Ring trip and it was epic, added bonus of arriving still relatively fresh. 

Needless to say it has much more grip than the S2000 had, even though my one was properly sorted, albeit standard. 

Good luck with yours... 

I nearly bought a 3.4 gen 1 last year but the issues scared me off but fortunately my budget could stretch to a gen 2 this year so happy days 🤩. I can imagine these chassis are a dream on track! I must give it a go if I'm brave enough! 🙈.Yh the S2000 had its limits but once you knew where the limit was it was such a great car to drive, albeit tiresome on long trips. The Cayman is certainly going to be a great all rounder! 

So I haven't even picked up the car yet and I have already booked in with Carnewal for a trip over to Belgium to get his GT exhaust fitted. I've also bought some headlight and DRL LED bulb upgrades ready to address the dated look of the headlights. 

Next up will be black exhaust tips (possibly paint the stock ones as Carnewal has tested all aftermarket tail pipes and stock ones and the 987-2 is the best available in terms of exhaust note)

I will also be looking to upgrade my PCM3 to a CarPlay double din unit and fit some Kistudios headlight trims. 😎

Would love some black spyder wheels to if I can find some at a decent price! 

Just can't wait to get my hands on it!

Edited by Childsy

3 hours ago, Stephen Auty said:

I think he means the Porsche has more mechanical grip so is more predictable than the S2000. The S2000 has a very loose back end. 

In my opinion the Cayman feels a heavier car (it is about 150kg heavier) the S2 is more chuckable as it is lighter on it's feet so to speak. The Cayman is way more planted. 

Just my opinion of course. 

It depends what your interpretation of chuckable is, really.  It's not exactly a term best used to describe a car - one does not chuck a car into a corner. :)

The Cayman is much stiffer and flatter than an S2K.  You would immediately notice this driving them back to back (and I do - quite often).  The steering on an S2K also has much less feedback than the Cayman.

It is also much easier to drive a Cayman enthusiastically rather than an S2K.  An S2K requires concentration and excellent throttle usage.  The Cayman less so.  However, it will still twist its back out in the wet if you're pushing it.  The S2K, on the other hand, does this on command irrespective of the weather and road conditions. :D

Car looks great.

ive been watching the 987 market in general lately and prices seem to be firming up, in some cases they are even on the rise (gen2) so I don't think it's cheap but you haven't over paid.