Loose rattle from behind?

zcacogp

Chaps, 

I got to do a couple of long drives in my 987 Cayman over the last week or so. Long drives are a rare pleasure for me but I discovered that the car has a loose-sounding rattle from the rear. 

It sounds like something light rattling (or possibly fluttering) against a metal panel. It doesn't sound heavy (like suspension) and doesn't seem to be related to whether it's on drive or coasting, or going over bumps. It almost sounds like some piece of trim rattling in the wind. It is not constant; last night I heard it rattle several times and then subside and not be heard for another hour or so. It is definitely coming from behind me (although I know that sound can travel in a car.) 

I've had a cursory look underneath the car to see whether anything was loose but could see nothing amiss. I've given the spoiler a good wiggle to see if it is loose and I don't think it is. I am aware that there is a weight in the bootlid which can cause rattles but this sounds like quite a light noise, not the sort of thing that would be caused by a lump of steel. However it's my best option so far so I'll see if I can take the boot apart this afternoon to have a shufti. 

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them if you do - thanks. 

Cito/Andrea, good idea but no - I checked that a couple of weeks ago. 

Tozerman - thanks, good idea. I had one of them off a few months ago so know the ones you mean. I'll have a squiz. 

Thanks for your suggestions, both of you. 

One rattle I did have in mine was the tailgate. I wound the rubber buffers out a but more, so its tight when its shut, and that has stopped that one.

I have heard a fluttering sound at speed on the motorway sometimes in mine. I had all the underfloor panels off in the summer, for a clean, and everything was well secure, so not one of those. So not sure what to check next. Its at the garage in April, so I'll get them to have a look also.

If it is coming from the tailgate you can check a few things:

1. Rubber bumpers (as mentioned above)

2. 3rd Brake Light

3. Luggage blind thing

4. Boot lid rubber seal

I would highly recommend treating all rubber parts to a coating of Gummipflege. I did my boot lid seals and bumpers and it made a significant difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

If it is coming from the tailgate you can check a few things:

1. Rubber bumpers (as mentioned above)

2. 3rd Brake Light

3. Luggage blind thing

4. Boot lid rubber seal

I would highly recommend treating all rubber parts to a coating of Gummipflege. I did my boot lid seals and bumpers and it made a significant difference.

I am used to treating the seals with vaseline. I guess is the same, just cheaper.

On 25/02/2020 at 11:37, @carnewal said:

I often see the heat shield below the trunk to come loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_nUM4YuAN4

I had this - seems the shield rusts around the nuts that hold it on so it 'flutters' - as you say, against the silencer.  I just took all the nuts off and used some large round washers to secure the shields sorted the problem.

Guys, 

Thanks for the replies. I need to update the thread with progress (such as there is!) 

- I've removed the rear light covers and tightened up the nuts on the rear lights. Neither were very loose so I doubt it is this. 

- One of the rear light covers was missing the small white plastic 'hats' on one of the retaining pins. Very trivial but Porsche would have put them there for a reason. I substituted wrapping the retaining pin with some plastic tape to stop any movement there may have been

- I removed the rear boot lid struts as apparently they can rattle. (An aside but that boot lid is fearsomely heavy without the struts to help lift it!) 

And ... it still rattled. Although it sounds like a different rattle, and more of a rattle than a flutter (which is how I described it before). I don't know what to conclude from this other than that the car sounds like a mobile percussion orchestra these days and I know I need to change one of the front tie rods (parts on order). I think I'll therefore wait until the tie rods are done before getting too heavy with the boot rattle. 

Thanks for the suggestions of it being the heat shield. This sounds very promising and I'll have a closer look next time I am under the car. 

Thanks for your help. I'll keep this thread updated. 

• Like 1

Yeah I reckon that heat shield could be the culprit. Will be checking that on mine, as I've heard this fluttering at high speed also.

I have 3 or 4 bolts on the heatshields that have rusted through. If you give the boot floor a good thump you'll be able to replicate the rattle it makes. The Cayman boot seems to bounce the noise around.

My top tip is to cut out your own oversized "washers" from an old coke/beer can. They'll conform to the shape of the shield and being aluminium you shouldn't have too many issues with them.

Be careful removing the nuts though... 2 out of the 4 studs snapped on removal. One had a convient hole next to it which I used to secure it and the other has just enough thread to get a new nut on... I'm just waiting for some M4 nuts to arrive!

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 13:19, Cito said:

I am used to treating the seals with vaseline. I guess is the same, just cheaper.

I would not use Vaseline on the rubber seals as it will break down the rubber long term. You really need a Silicon based lubricant to keep them pliable and to stop them cracking up. Wurth make a very good one in aerosol form, it also has the added bonus of the seals on doors and rear hatch sticking in winter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iSPY said:

I would not use Vaseline on the rubber seals as it will break down the rubber long term. You really need a Silicon based lubricant to keep them pliable and to stop them cracking up. Wurth make a very good one in aerosol form, it also has the added bonus of the seals on doors and rear hatch sticking in winter.

Wurth is good stuff ! There's lots of Detailing products out there which treat / condition rubber too. Which would also mean a double-useage and could be used on other parts of the car when cleaning etc. Some of these contain UV inhibitants for example; which not only help to keep the various rubbers supple - but also help stop further drying out / ageing happening.......😎