987 Gen 2 Prospect

Welcome aboard and best of luck in your search.

Your criteria sounds solid. With a little patience and research you’ll find yourself a genuine way to stretch those smile muscles for many years to come.

Keep us updated. Exciting times !

Thanks for the welcome.

Looking for a PDK and can't wait to be a proud owner.

Of course this section of the forum will be more in favour of 987, I don't have experience of 981 V 987 but have seen all the opinions and views from both sides.  If I'm honest, without having owned either car I cannot judge on merit, I would probably opt for the youngest car I could afford, but the spec level I desire in the S variant at reasonable mileage just pushes the 981 out of my budget and so by opting for 987 at least I get to select from a number of potentials.

Exciting times but wish I could go and look at some!

Hi and welcome,

Go for the 981 if you can, or if your budget is on the edge of them. Its a more modern car, and was the last 6 cylinder Cayman until the recently launched 718 GTS 4.0, so values will hold well.

Also get the manual if its just a pleasure/track day car, as its more involving. If its a daily driver then PDK is better for urban traffic.

• Like 1

987.2 great choice.  Personally I prefer the look of 987 over the 981......

Also Sport Chrono can either be retrofitted or added via a tune or using a sprint booster. You can also add a rev matcher on a manual 987. 

If I was you I would consider more a car with PSE.....these are sports car....so I personally find sound is more important.  And yes plenty of aftermarket choices but again it's extra money (a lot by the time you buy and install parts) so why not find a car with LSD and PSE from stock instead? 

My 2 cents....

Edited by Andrea

Loving the comments and advice.....many thanks.  Of course opinions will vary and I am still corruptible from any particular angle so enjoying the varied opinions, all helps me narrow the choice and fine tune the spec.  I'm with you, Andrea, on the look of the 987 but also like the look of the inside of the 981!! 

I'm not familiar with PSE?  I have added PASM to my list of desirables, which seems to be ever growing!  In terms of use it will just be a weekend toy, I am fortunate to have a company car, I also own a T5 van as I do a lot of water sports and ride off rode bikes.  So time is limited too and I expect to be using it for dry weekend runs, going to watch motorsport events etc so comfort for me is a factor and I will stick with the PDK.  Whilst I would love to track race a car I just don't have the time to dare start any more hobbies, cos it will never stop at just racing the car as it is...…..  maybe in the future, who knows!

Enjoying the discussion, thanks.

I'm with Andrea regarding sport chrono. But if you really like the look of the stop clock on the dash then yes it's an important feature for you to have.

My car is very track focused and I didn't have sport chrono high on the desirable list because all it really does is alter the throttle response (and perhaps the ABS and traction control settings but no one is 100% sure). As Andrea rightly points out, this can be done with a sprint booster for around £100 plug and play. The sprint booster also has more variable settings long with a chauffeur mode (V2) that limits how quickly the car can be driven.

PSE is the Porsche Sports Exhaust, and this does make the car sound much better IMHO. I test drove cars with both before purchasing mine (without PSE). Again if the car doesn't have PSE there are options for reasonable money (£600 odd Carnewal) but anything switchable will be well over £1000.

I have PASM on mine, but I only ever switch PASM on when on track. I find it too skittish to be switched on in any other circumstance, especially when pushing on on a B road blast. Aside from performance it does mean the car sitter lower than a standard, which helps the car 'look' better. Most would agree that as standard they sit slightly high.

Radio wise look for one which has the Ipod connection, that way you can listen to Spotify etc through a wired connection on your Iphone. I've yet to find a way of doing the same on an Android phone.

Given your brief outline of what you will do in the car I would say go for a PDK equipped with PSE, I wouldn't be too concerned with any of the other options, they are seriously good value for what you get. Given the current situation I might be tempted to wait a while as I think prices will soften significantly.

• Like 1

981 interior is more modern indeed. But in term of "feeling" I still find the 987 as more pure and Porsche-like,  even the interior! From 981 onwards cars have become fatter and bigger, they've lost the hydraulic steering wheel as well.  But again this is your call!

PSE: Porsche Sport Exhaust.....it's switchable at a push of a button to open or close the exhaust valves...so quieter or lauder!  

PASM is good indeed, although some people find the hard setting too hard for UK roads! Again, you need to try few different cars maybe and decide! 

All great feedback, thanks.  With sports chrono, didn't realise the option for plug and play, good to know thanks.  I guess part of me is also trying to maximise spec in terms of value retention also, I maybe trying to serve too many masters at the same time and this is where all this input is great and appreciated as it is challenging my views.....

I agree the market should soften and it is hard to battle the impatience of wanting the car in the meantime.  The minute lockdown eases I'm sure prices will hold up as dealers try to recoup as much as possible and it may take a while before the lack of sales starts to soften their resolve, but who knows.  As you have said, I need to drive many, find what I like, then challenge pricing and if they don't move then walk away and move onto the next one, there do seem to be plenty available.

Exciting times....

No one knows for sure what the used car market will do.

Will there be 'pent-up' demand and sales will rise, prices will remain similar or higher?

Will the lack of new car production drive nearly new used prices up, as buyers dont want to wait months for a new car?

Will all the job losses create a massive amount of finance repo cars, maybe depressing prices?

Will everyone sit on there money, too scared to spend?

13 hours ago, Andrea said:

987.2 great choice.  Personally I prefer the look of 987 over the 981......

Also Sport Chrono can either be retrofitted or added via a tune or using a sprint booster. You can also add a rev matcher on a manual 987. 

If I was you I would consider more a car with PSE.....these are sports car....so I personally find sound is more important.  And yes plenty of aftermarket choices but again it's extra money (a lot by the time you buy and install parts) so why not find a car with LSD and PSE from stock instead? 

My 2 cents....

A sprint booster isn't equivalent to sport chrono.  It does not work the same, nor produce the same effect.  It sacrifices control.

7 hours ago, Aaron said:

A sprint booster isn't equivalent to sport chrono.  It does not work the same, nor produce the same effect.  It sacrifices control.

Out of genuine interest how do they work differently? I had always been under the impression that Sport Chrono altered the throttle response.

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

You are missing the point.  If a car doesn't have Sport Chrono then a sprint booster is the closest thing you can get. Whether it replicates 100% sport chrono or not.  Also if you read my post I wrote also "tune", not just a remap...but a specific tune I had on my Gen1 CS years ago to work on the traction control as well.  

Sprint booster are created after the same concept of sport chrono....in the modern cars with drive by wire it isn't rocket science really.   

And for the sake of the post it's a good tip to someone looking for suggestions on what to buy, I'm sure your comment was way more helpful lol. 

Dougle, it does in fact and when it comes to throttle response it does produce the same effect.  But it's no the only thing it works on.  Nevertheless a sprint booster is good value for money., 

6 hours ago, Andrea said:

You are missing the point.  If a car doesn't have Sport Chrono then a sprint booster is the closest thing you can get. Whether it replicates 100% sport chrono or not.  Also if you read my post I wrote also "tune", not just a remap...but a specific tune I had on my Gen1 CS years ago to work on the traction control as well.  

Sprint booster are created after the same concept of sport chrono....in the modern cars with drive by wire it isn't rocket science really.   

And for the sake of the post it's a good tip to someone looking for suggestions on what to buy, I'm sure your comment was way more helpful lol. 

Dougle, it does in fact and when it comes to throttle response it does produce the same effect.  But it's no the only thing it works on.  Nevertheless a sprint booster is good value for money., 

No, I'm fully aware of the point - it's you that is missing the point.  A sprint booster sacrifices control.

I'm not writing it all out again.

Topic i started; linked above by @Aaron- which had some good discussion.

And i can't comment on Sport Chrono, but for alot less than £200 i thought a Sprint Booster was a valid addition to mine. Sharpened up the throttle response / eagerness; and just added a little 'pep' to the driving experience imo. Not revolutionary. But you don't get much for £200 in regard of noticeable differences / improvements. And i thought this certainly is one.....

Googling shows many-many positive experiences across multiple car / manufacturer platforms. Coupled with very few negative reviews and experiences. But horses for courses and i fully understand not everyones cup of tea.

Do you understand that topic is about a remap VS a sprint booster?? 2 completely different things! 

by the sound of it you’ve never tried Sport Chrono, or a sprint booster neither you understand how a drive by wire system work. End of discussion. 

Looks like a few people are getting grouchy being stuck at home 😜 But I understand @Aarons point, it does trick the ecu thus losing some of the fidelity. That's the reason I only use the middle setting on mine - even on track (unless I feel like being a total hooligan and hang the back end out everywhere - I call the top mode 'drift mode'). The reason I though the Sport Chrono was the same as the booster was because in all my previous cars that had a sport button, I had the exact same experience - a loss of throttle fidelity that was especially noticeable on track. 

Mine is still surprisingly easy to control in the middle mode 'sport' even with a Sprint booster, GT3 RS throttle body, IPD plenum, and a custom rolling road remap.

Anyway, I think we have digressed from the original OPs thread. We should really keep a lookout for some good potential cars for him. @TritonII can you post the links to the cars you're looking at so we can have a gander? I love helping people spend money!

9 hours ago, Andrea said:

Do you understand that topic is about a remap VS a sprint booster?? 2 completely different things! 

by the sound of it you’ve never tried Sport Chrono, or a sprint booster neither you understand how a drive by wire system work. End of discussion. 

Did you not read the post that I wrote in the thread?  I think that you should.  Here's the direct link: 

I have chrono; I have a CR with an 82mm TB, IPD comp plenum and a Softronic map.  I've also mapped standalone ECUs (ME221, Apexi PowerFC), piggyback ECUs (AEM FIC6) and have a sound understanding of overall engine control; as well as intricate knowledge of mapping ignition timing, injection mapping based on VE, cold start metholodogies, amongst others.  Regardless, it doesn't mean that what I'm saying is more or less true.  A sprint booster is not the same as chrono or a map, and that's exactly what I stated.  I'm not saying it's good or bad - simply that it isn't the same as chrono or a map.

I think you are being far too dismissive rather than considering there's limits to your knowledge. Perhaps try researching the topic further rather than accusing me of not knowing how a drive-by wire throttle functions.

It's important to note that I'm not writing this aggressively or with animosity.  It's your choice to be humble or dismissive; it makes no difference to me. :)

Edit: Also, I'll bow out now as I'm clearly derailing the thread.  Apologies to the OP.

Edited by Aaron

No need to apologise to me, but thanks, I'm enjoying the learning.  As to posting links of potential short-listed cars, this keeps changing as I read more, refine or redefine the criteria, expand my budget and then realise I can't actually stretch that far and get frustrated that I cannot go and look at any...…..

The two that currently sit top of my list ate at Box911  and RSJ at Slough, both black 3.4 S Gen 2 with most of the options I have been seeking.