987 front brake disc options.

So I've been trawling the interwebs for what options are currently available for front discs. I've made a list in price order and some comments. The search is focused on discs that should be able to handle track work without the micro cracking that seems to plague the drilled discs. I'd be interested to hear anyones thoughts or comments.

Rotor disc drilled and grooved: £120 inc delivery!

These are a total unknown, but for the money they might just be worth a try. I had a quick look on the web for the company but can't find anyting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-DRILLED-GROOVED-318mm-BRAKE-DISCS-FOR-PORSCHE-911-996-997-BOXSTER-3-4-3-6/362440616000

Textar 318mm:  Drilled £156.00 free delivery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Porsche-Cayman-987-3-4-S-Textar-Coated-HC-Front-Drilled-Brake-Discs/362639218465?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ACayman|Cars+Type%3AS+3.4|Plat_Gen%3A987|Cars+Year%3A2010|Variant%3A987+[2005-2013]+Coupe&hash=item546efb5721:g:mJsAAOSwqaNczQ4r

These seem well priced for a high carbon disc. Textar are an OEM porsche manufacturer so I trust them as a brand (Their OEM pads actually hold up very well on track).

Sebro slotted 318mm: £237.00 inc delivery

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/sec7404920821/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/8356

These are a known quantity for me, I have got around 20 track days and 15K miles out of my current ones. 

All the 987 Tarox products are listed here: https://www.tarox.co.uk/?s=987&post_type=product Below are some of the options.

Tarox 1 piece drilled: £354 inc delivery

https://www.tarox.co.uk/product/front-tarox-brake-discs-porsche-boxster-s-987-3-4-d95/

These will be a good quality disc, for a one piece disc they aren't cheap. Countersunk holes to help prevent cracking - not sure if that will work for the heat cycles on track.

Tarox 1 piece grooved: £405 inc delivery

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/car-parts/product/tarox/f2000-brake-discs-front?vehicle_model_id=1684

These will be a good quality disc, for a one piece disc they aren't cheap. I couldn't find them on the Tarox website - so not sure if they are still available.

Tarox two piece grooved 318mm: £852.00 inc delivery

https://www.tarox.co.uk/product/front-tarox-brake-discs-porsche-boxster-987-318mm-bespoke/

I'm sure these are great disc, two piece construction with all the benefits that comes with. I imagine these offer a decent weight saving over the standard size 1 piece disc. These are the cheapest two piece I can find.

Girodisk 340mm two piece - £1096 inc delivery

Again, these will be great discs - and they offer a size upgrade to 340mm. They will still probably weigh less than the standard 1 piece item. The spacers and bolts for the calipers are included. Replacement costs for the discs are £697 so you are buying into an expensive system.

PB brakes 356mm Big Brake kit + 8 pot pistons, pads and S/S lines: £1680 inc delivery

I've been flirting with the idea of these for a while. They have loads of options to choose from and the kit sizes they have available are: 6-Pot 345x32mm, Big 6-Pot 356x32mm, 8-Pot 356x32mm and 8-Pot 380x32mm. I choose the 356mm kit so it's a more comparable size to the giro disc upgrade. Obviously the big difference here is that you get ungraded 8 pot calipers for your money. I have been in touch with them via email - i believe the company is owned by an English guy and the factory is in Hong Kong.

AP Racing 390mm Big brake kit with 6 pot calipers: £2549 inc delivery

Not too much to say about these, other than they are almost certainly the dogs bollox.

Edited by Dougle_turbo
  • Thanks 1

Great homework and Intel Doug 👍🏻

personally I like the look of the tarox grooved slotted - they look like art! 🤩

but it’s about performance that counts not looks.... 🤔

what’s your thoughts / preferences - there’s presumably a cost vs benefit ‘tipping point’, and what’s ‘good enough’ for (non-competitive) trackdays vs competitive racing.

I'm tempted to give the Textar disc a go. It's slotted, and what drilled holes there are have been countersunk. If they are equivalent to the Sebro's then they are a winner.

If I were to 'upgrade', I think the only worthwhile route would be going 2 piece. The cheapest I can find there is £852 which is quite a jump in price. The benefits there are a decent weight reduction, and improved cooling. The Tarox (at £852) would be interesting, no they are not a bigger disc, but they would be much lighter than the standard disc, and lighter than the 340mm Girodisc. Given that I don't have any complaints with my current setup they would probably be the logical choice.

If you go Textar grooved and drilled I’ll be interested in your feedback on them after some track use, my front discs will likely need replacing next year (IF we get anywhere near a track / alpine passes this year.... 🙄😳😕). 

Just spoken to MTEC. They will make a custom 2 piece, but not at the moment due to covid. They supply their 1 piece disks as drilled only apparently, and won't do a slotted option - which is a shame.

My preference is not to go drilled, but the Textar only has a few holes (which are counter sunk) in comparison to fully drilled discs.

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/porsche/cayman-987-09-14/cayman-3-4-s-02-09-03-14.html

Edited by Dougle_turbo

There is another option similar to the Girodisc but cheaper which is to create spacers and longer bolts for the calliper to accommodate 997 turbo discs. A guy in america (Freddy Lewis) is working on the kit. I think the price was $125 then you source yourself OEM discs. Worth speaking to him Doug! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrea said:

There is another option similar to the Girodisc but cheaper which is to create spacers and longer bolts for the calliper to accommodate 997 turbo discs. A guy in america (Freddy Lewis) is working on the kit. I think the price was $125 then you source yourself OEM discs. Worth speaking to him Doug! 

Thanks @Andrea I've sent him a message. n doing so I've also come across this. Looks like a compelling offering - especially if a to piece disk is available off the shelf.

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-brakes/products/porsche-boxster-987-front-big-disc-upgrade?variant=14259202359341

Edited by Dougle_turbo

No problem mate and yes I'm aware of the the set in the link but as usual the provenience of those discs are unclear.  Like how long do they last? What if they stop sourcing them one day?  I personally find that going 997 route makes sense, but again, best is to speak to Freddy and I believe John Gaydos was testing them. 

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

No problem mate and yes I'm aware of the the set in the link but as usual the provenience of those discs are unclear.  Like how long do they last? What if they stop sourcing them one day?  I personally find that going 997 route makes sense, but again, best is to speak to Freddy and I believe John Gaydos was testing them. 

Is there a two piece OEM porsche disc?

22 hours ago, Andrea said:

Looking into this a bit more, I'm not sure he'll be able accomplish this with a spacer bracket. The 3.6 997 uses the same front disc as the Cayman, the 3.8 997 uses a larger diameter disc but it's also thicker at 34mm so I assume that won't fit. The other option might be to use the rear disk which is 330mm x 28mm but the disk heights are different 68mm on the standard front disc and 75mm on the rear 997 disk.

Edited by Dougle_turbo

I think the rear ones come from 996 with the correct thickness just bigger diameter.  Should all be one piece as they are stock really.  

15 minutes ago, Andrea said:

I think the rear ones come from 996 with the correct thickness just bigger diameter.  Should all be one piece as they are stock really.  

They are the same thickness, but a different height. They would need a 7mm spacer on the inside of the disc.

Edited by Dougle_turbo

20 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

They are the same thickness, but a different height. They would need a 7mm spacer on the inside of the disc.

you need the opposite, you need the same thickness but a bigger diameter. The spacer are made to not to accommodate wider discs, but to move the calliper further away from the axle centre to accommodate a bigger diameter. Increasing the diameter you increase both momentum lever and dissipating surface. 

Anyway here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/138568476198927/search/?query=freddy &epa=SEARCH_BOX

The rear are 330X28 so 4 mm wider yes, but the main difference is in the diameter 299 VS 330. 

18 minutes ago, Andrea said:

you need the opposite, you need the same thickness but a bigger diameter. The spacer are made to not to accommodate wider discs, but to move the calliper further away from the axle centre to accommodate a bigger diameter. Increasing the diameter you increase both momentum lever and dissipating surface. 

Anyway here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/138568476198927/search/?query=freddy &epa=SEARCH_BOX

The rear are 330X28 so 4 mm wider yes, but the main difference is in the diameter 299 VS 330. 

You have the wrong end of the stick Andrea, I agree with everything you have said in size, caliper spacer requirements etc, but the disk heights are different. Our standard disc is 318 x 28 x 68mm, the 996/997 rear disk is 350/330mm x 28mm x 75mm. This is why I'm referring to a 7mm spacer on the inside of the disk being required. 

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have already messaged Freddie Lewis about the kit. 👍

15 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

You have the wrong end of the stick Andrea, I agree with everything you have said in size, caliper spacer requirements etc, but the disk heights are different. Our standard disc is 318 x 28 x 68mm, the 996/997 rear disk is 350/330mm x 28mm x 75mm. This is why I'm referring to a 7mm spacer on the inside of the disk being required. 

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have already messaged Freddie Lewis about the kit. 👍

Ok sorry now I understand what you are referring to. Anyway the 996 front are still a 67mm height! You are not using the 966 rear..but the front to replace our rears! They are 320x26 height 67mm Doug.  Hope this explain! 

I'm not too interested in replacing the rears, but I see what you are saying - thats what I understood.

Freddie Lewis uses 997/996 rear disks onto our fronts because they are 28mm.

On 09/05/2020 at 13:13, Dougle_turbo said:

Thanks @Andrea I've sent him a message. n doing so I've also come across this. Looks like a compelling offering - especially if a to piece disk is available off the shelf.

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/porsche-boxster-987-brakes/products/porsche-boxster-987-front-big-disc-upgrade?variant=14259202359341

I use this kit from Freaky Parks done 12 track days with CL5+ pads and a marked improvement over standard, kit comes with larger disks.

IMG_0202.jpeg