Newly painted centre console

Painted console. Pffffft. Who'd do that 😂

Sounds about the right money for a nice job - as we already discussed i think.

Looks REALLY well buddy. ENJOY !!

• Like 1

Wouldn't it have been easier/faster/cheaper to have had it sandblasted rather than keying it down by hand?

Does look good though - this is one of my favourite things about the CR.

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Wouldn't it have been easier/faster/cheaper to have had it sandblasted rather than keying it down by hand?

Does look good though - this is one of my favourite things about the CR.

I’ve no experience in such matters, but I presume the issue is potentially blasting away the actual plastic and/or damaging it 🤔

7 hours ago, Windymiller said:

I’ve no experience in such matters, but I presume the issue is potentially blasting away the actual plastic and/or damaging it 🤔

Valid point.  I've experience of sandblasting soft metals but not ABS plastic... It could crumble into dust during the process - this is quite likely a possibility! 

• Poo 1

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Valid point.  I've experience of sandblasting soft metals but not ABS plastic... It could crumble into dust during the process - this is quite likely a possibility! 

That would not have been the best outcome 😮🥺🙃

It’s lasted 4 days without a scratch so far... 😉👍🏻

I hope it’s as robust a finish as the factory fitted colour coded pieces (cup holder and gear gaitor trim, all the bits round the rear speakers and ‘grab bar’ behind the seats). 

I presume the finish is as good as the prep work underneath and longevity / wearability of the clear coat over it... 🤔🤷‍♂️

My Cayman has wear marks from sun cream and the plastic coating is peeling off, looks awful!

Looking good there mate, did this include them removing the centre console or did you remove yourself?

I need this doing ASAP, also considering getting mine wrapped

Also im only 10 miles from MK! 

Edited by Craig Bradley

@Craig Bradley - i actually bought another console and gave them that one to work on. i then swapped it over for my original unpainted one, which I will now be selling 😉

here’s a good link to a step by step Photo guide for removal:

my top tip is cover your handbrake lever with an old sock to stop it getting scuffed when you remove the console. 

I’ve removed it twice now - first time was probbaly 90-120 minutes, 2nd time probably 60-90 minutes. Would also be handy to Mark which screws came from where as there are some different types.

then just take your time and be gentle - don’t force any of it. I also bought a <£10 Nielsen internal trim removal tool set on amazon which helped a lot and certainly avoided damaging the trim, or snapping clips. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/neilsen-CT2287-Trim-Removal-Moulding/dp/B004OEL4LW/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Nielsen+internal+trim+removal+tools&qid=1593522433&sr=8-5

i also approached a wrapping company and they were very reluctant to do it due to the soft touch coating on the console. They said it would need removing first to provide a suitable base for the vinyl wrap to adhere to. I also wonder with the various curves and angles on the console of a wrap would really give the best finish 🤔🤷‍♂️

I am highly pleased with Ro-Fit in MKs paint work on it 👍🏻

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Looks mint!

Thanks Doug, glad I bought the console from you when I did - made the whole job easier doing it ‘off car’, and then just swapping console components over old to new (which only took ~30 minutes) before refitting into car. 👍🏻

Edited by Windymiller

I've had a quote of around £150 to hydro dip mine in Carbon fibre effect.

The chap said the most work with these is stripping the original finish.

1 hour ago, GlosRich said:

That's an amazing price for Hydro imo - with the labour required to prep.

I'd love to see one fitted; in Carbon finish......

Might get it done this winter when its off the road. I can get the console out.

Having the front top mounts, track rod ends, alignment and exhaust brackets done on Wednesday, so the wallet is already having a bashing this month...

• Sad 1

On 06/07/2020 at 09:08, GlosRich said:

That is a bargain price of that includes the prep work too. It’s almost criminal not to get it done at that price... 😉👍🏻

• Haha 1