Beanoir's 996 C2

Beanoir™

• Founder
13 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Your wooden knob is the CarBone one yep?

Mine is from Stuttgart Classica, but I made the shaft piece to match which is similar to the Car Bone item.  

Ive called and emailed Dave The Trimmer but he’s not responded to my email.  I’ll keep hunting 

7 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Mine is from Stuttgart Classica, but I made the shaft piece to match which is similar to the Car Bone item.  

Ive called and emailed Dave The Trimmer but he’s not responded to my email.  I’ll keep hunting 

I believe Dave can take a week or so to reply back as he is inundated with work, which is non doubt a testament to his work - though I don't wok for him, nor ever used, just heard he is very good.

2 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

I believe Dave can take a week or so to reply back as he is inundated with work, which is non doubt a testament to his work - though I don't wok for him, nor ever used, just heard he is very good.

Do you think this would fit straight away if I removed the existing gear knob and added it to the bare stalk like the Stuggart one 

https://evilspeed.eu/collections/gear-knobs/products/momo-targa-shift-knob-mahogany-wood

• Founder
37 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Do you think this would fit straight away if I removed the existing gear knob and added it to the bare stalk like the Stuggart one 

https://evilspeed.eu/collections/gear-knobs/products/momo-targa-shift-knob-mahogany-wood

Pass, I've no knowledge of the Momo ones I'm afraid - I would check with the seller or the manufacturer, because the sector shaft is an unusual shape on these Porsches, it's not just a round threaded end.  

• Founder

Jobs for the weekend, as Monty says. 

5mm wheel spacers for all 4 wheels and new wheel bolts.  I went with the Numeric bolts in the end, have decent reviews and the plating seems pretty tough.  We’ll see.  

41A1AB54-BC88-4CD9-9713-3ACA324D96C1.jpeg

DEF17E2F-03ED-442C-A62B-FEF7D78E3F8A.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founder

Not much in the way of progress over the last couple of weeks.  

I’ve got new uprated gearbox and engine mounts to install.  

A modified polybush for the gearbox apparently makes gear shift a lot more positive without too much increase NvH.  RSS engine mounts, I’m really looking forward to installing these, the difference can be quite remarkable in the 996 apparently.  

C4656F84-8EF3-46E1-A9D5-EB6652501631.jpeg

CCDFE58F-4753-4959-81A7-4453970962C3.jpeg

I also gave the car a through paint clean and applied a ceramic coating (had plenty of bottles left over!).  It’s probably the best product I’ve used for brining a shine to silver paint, and makes washing the car that much easier.  

50EBCE15-EC79-44DF-9878-2D14C733606B.jpeg

This weekend I decided to clean and lube the throttle pedal assembly.  It’s not a cable throttle on my car, but it was a bit sticky in action and was making feathering the throttle a bit irritating.  So I ripped it out, took it all apart, cleaned a shit load of grit and dirt out of it, washed, dried and lubed with silicon based stuff.  Much smoother now.  

647B67A5-B5A4-43BC-9B72-F500F8F2CAD2.jpeg

4E311C93-A93A-4EAC-8358-60578AE91AC0.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Nick - that is very interesting to read re the Konis. 👍🏻

I was not aware that the Ohlins R&T had a 20k service interval. That for me is a ‘no deal’ - I want fit and forget for as long as I continue to keep the car, or until the suspension needs total replacement ‘again’. 

eibach pro springs seem a bit left field - other than CGs recommendation, what’s driven you down that route (no pun intended)?🤔

• Founder
1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Thanks Nick - that is very interesting to read re the Konis. 👍🏻

I was not aware that the Ohlins R&T had a 20k service interval. That for me is a ‘no deal’ - I want fit and forget for as long as I continue to keep the car, or until the suspension needs total replacement ‘again’. 

eibach pro springs seem a bit left field - other than CGs recommendation, what’s driven you down that route (no pun intended)?🤔

Yes, servicing is a pain.  To be fair, all coilovers will have a service requirement, just some don’t quote a period and others are longer.  But it’s a no deal for me too.  

The Eibach Pro springs are a dual rate spring, apparently very good for the road.  The Bilstein B12 comes with the same springs.  

I know Gert sells the Koni with the M030 springs which would be my second choice.  But you could pair them with all sorts of others.  

• Like 1

Interesting because I’ve read several ‘reviews’ (well, personal opinion) on various Porsche forums that the B12 kit ‘doesn’t work’ teaming the B8 strut with the eibach spring 🤔, which has previously steered me away from that route. 

I wonder what the koni SAD with R springs would be like?

as a former engineer id like to see some actual stats for the various springs and struts and investigate which would ‘technically’ match best. Though for the uninitiated such as myself id probbaly just go with whatever ‘felt right’ ultimately. But unfortunately you can’t really ‘try before you buy’ 😟

(but I can try Nicks before I buy my own...😉 😁)

• Like 1

• Founder
9 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Interesting because I’ve read several ‘reviews’ (well, personal opinion) on various Porsche forums that the B12 kit ‘doesn’t work’ teaming the B8 strut with the eibach spring 🤔, which has previously steered me away from that route. 

I wonder what the koni SAD with R springs would be like?

as a former engineer id like to see some actual stats for the various springs and struts and investigate which would ‘technically’ match best. Though for the uninitiated such as myself id probbaly just go with whatever ‘felt right’ ultimately. But unfortunately you can’t really ‘try before you buy’ 😟

(but I can try Nicks before I buy my own...😉 😁)

It might be that the Spring is just not well matched to the damper on the case of the Bistein/Eibach combo...but I don’t know, just conjecture.  

Happily be guinea pig.  But I’m almost certain it’s the Koni route for me, springs is still up for debate though.  

10 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

It might be that the Spring is just not well matched to the damper on the case of the Bistein/Eibach combo...but I don’t know, just conjecture.  

Happily be guinea pig.  But I’m almost certain it’s the Koni route for me, springs is still up for debate though.  

Aye, I think that’s what I’ve read mainly about the B12 - that springs and struts don’t seem particularly well matched. 

but these Koni SADs do read up well - like a passive ‘active’ damper somehow 😮

it must be some kinda voodoo-witchcraft 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• Founder

So I pushed the button on the Koni.  Gert at @@carnewal had them in stock, and for a pretty good price, arrived this morning, so fantastic service as always from Gert 👍

I have decided to go with H&R springs, and booked in with AMS for fitting and set-up on Monday, along with a 96k service! 

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7206.jpg

• Like 1

They look the business Nick. 

what tipped you to H&R springs instead of eibach pro? Which H&R springs - the 35mm drop ones?

ive emailed Koni U.K. to enquire when the SADs will be available for 987/997 models. Awaiting response. 

can’t wait to see yours all done. 

• Founder

I did some reading up, there doesn't seem to be much difference in performance between the two, so I went with the H&R for ease as my indie has them in stock.  They're a 30mm drop on the 996 C2, so they should be the same ride height as what it currently is.  

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the difference it makes, hopefully positive!  I was thinking, it's a shame you haven't been in the car to get a feel for before and after difference. 

• Founder

Well, this is going to be an expensive week...  

Car went in Monday morning for the dampers and springs to be fitted, along with new top mounts and a 96k nile service.  One would consider that enough for one week.  Oh no.  

This afternoon went like this.  

Garage "Hi Nick, you know that oil leak, well it's getting worse"...

Nick sits down "hit me with it" 

Garage "well...

RMS leaking

Both rockers leaking 

Spark plug tubes leaking 

Probably an engine out job, so while it's out, suggest the rest; 

IMS upgrade

New clutch

New water pump

New AoS" 

Nick *wimpers like a girl*    

• Sad 1

Ouch Nick - that’s not good news. However, I feel like you bought this car as a keeper, and with all the other upgrades you’ve been doing on her perhaps just try to look at these other works as ensuring her longevity and good health whilst in your custodianship 👍🏻

• Like 1

• Founder
13 hours ago, Tozerman said:

😱 OMG that is going to hurt, sorry to hear that... 

Do you have a link to the wheel bolts and spacers you have? 

I don’t have a link to hand but they were the 5mm design Tek spacers and extra long Numeric wheel bolts from Design 911.